5 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I don't know how long it will be until doctors start to use this method routinely but hopefully it won't be too long. It would negate the need for any gluten challenge and be better for diagnosis than a hit or biopsy. You can find the complete article at the link.

In Vitro Gliadin Challenge: Diagnostic Accuracy and Utility for the Difficult Diagnosis of Celiac Disease

OBJECTIVES: Diagnosis of celiac disease is difficult when treatment with gluten-free diet (GFD) is started before diagnosis and/or when the results of tests are inconsistent. The objective of this study was to evaluate the in vitro gliadin challenge.
METHODS: The study cohort included patients without celiac disease (negative controls, n=57), patients with celiac disease (positive controls, n=166 untreated and n=55 on GFD), and patients with difficult diagnosis (n=59). All patients underwent endoscopy for collection of duodenal samples, which served for the diagnosis of celiac disease and for the in vitro evaluation of the gliadin-induced mucosal expression of seven inflammatory markers: PY99, ICAM-1 (intercellular cell adhesion molecule), HLA-DR, CD3, CD25, CD69, and transglutaminase 2 IgA. Diagnostic work-up for celiac disease included the search of specific serum antibodies. Patients of the difficult diagnosis group were asked to stop GFD for repeated search of these antibodies under untreated conditions. The area under the receptor-operated curve (ROC) was used for statistical analyses on accuracy.
RESULTS: HLA-DR had the highest accuracy for celiac disease diagnosis in analyses on negative controls and positive controls also excluding patients on GFD (area under ROC=0.99). Accuracy of test did not increase combining data of HLA-DR with data of other markers. Findings were similar in the 39 patients of the difficult diagnosis group undergoing the search celiac disease-specific antibodies under untreated conditions.
CONCLUSIONS: The in vitro response of mucosal HLA-DR to gliadin is an accurate tool for the diagnosis of celiac disease also in patients with difficult diagnosis.

http://www.medscape....15?src=nl_topic
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't know how long it will be until doctors start to use this method routinely but hopefully it won't be too long. It would negate the need for any gluten challenge and be better for diagnosis than a hit or biopsy. You can find the complete article at the link.

Wow.

Just. Wow.

It would be awesome to see this in practice! So much suffering in people who are sick but diagnostic methods miss them.

Thanks for posting!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

This sounds great! I can't wait until something like this becomes a regular practice. Yay science!!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

They need better testing..that's for sure. I wonder how long it will take to get this the norm for testing? At least someone is working on it!

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Wow, maybe I could finally get tested without poisoning myself.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Wow, maybe I could finally get tested without poisoning myself.

I hope they start doing this test routinely with all endos including those on folks still on gluten. I imagine there are a lot of folks with the label gluten intolerant because of negatives endos that would have been diagnosed celiac instead.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: