67 replies to this topic

#1 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I spent this afternoon planting our small patio herb garden with my girls so I'm in a gardening type mood.

We planted...
Oregano
Spicy Oregano
Rosemary
Purple Basil
Spicy Basil
Sweet Basil
Sweet Mint
Stevia
Small thing of strawberries
Have carrots and green beans to plant still

Is anyone else planning a garden? If so what are you planting?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm in the desert so summer is a "slow" time of year unless you plant a native summer crop. I have limited space so I'm restricted to pots for now (even worse in summer here).

But I am going to try something. I am thinking of some herbs on the patio since I have summer shade at this house (unlike our other house - full sun all day on the back patio - ick).

And it's probably too late this year but I do want some grape vines.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm in the desert so summer is a "slow" time of year unless you plant a native summer crop. I have limited space so I'm restricted to pots for now (even worse in summer here).

But I am going to try something. I am thinking of some herbs on the patio since I have summer shade at this house (unlike our other house - full sun all day on the back patio - ick).

And it's probably too late this year but I do want some grape vines.

Grape vines would be nice.

My stuff is all in pots too since I live in an apartment, but at least I get my fresh herbs :)

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

we have herbs:

thyme (german, lemon and *'regular')
*rosemary
*sage
boxwood basil, thai basil, purple basil (!), "regular"
cilantro
dill
tarragon
parsley
*chives

(* - things that survived the winter)

mesculun (sp) greens (seeds)
beets (seeds)
green onions (seeds)
red cabbage & green cabbage (plants)
taters ('seeds')
broccoli (plants)
cauliflower (plants)
brussel sprouts (plants)
carrots (seeds)

sprouts are sprouting!

still have green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, tomatoes to plant - waiting to be sure jack frost is done with us :) i love gardening :)

edited to say: i planted a small thing of strawberries, too!! :D and i have 2 artichoke plants i need to put in the ground - never tried to grow them before.... trying to decide if they are exaggerating their size prediction of 6-7' wide! anyone ever grow these?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I just finished turning one large raised bed into two smaller ones in a different location. I transfered the soil from the bed into the smaller ones leaving the old space bare. I planted one of the small beds with some radishes, lettuce and spinach but still have a lot more to plant.
I put an arch between the two beds and will grow my beans and cukes on it. Each bed will have a tomato plant in the center and one will be for herbs and the other for my salad veggies.
The area that was left bare by the bed moving will be planted with some corn, peppers, bush beans, pickling cukes and a zucchinni.
I didn't get a chance to do any gardening last year and really missed the fresh veggies picked right before eating.
I'll even be able to plant enough corn to eat some when the ears are tiny and you eat them cob and all.
I just hope we get enough rain. It has been really dry here for spring.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'm not much of a gardener except for flowers, a tomato plant (need to wait until mid-May to plant) and a few herbs. My rosemary stayed green during our very strange PA winter (it normally dies); chives are perennial as is my oregano, which are up and thriving. I'll also plant some basil, cilantro and dill but it's too early yet and then see what else jumps into my cart at the garden center.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm getting ready to get some plants in pots. Probably a half dozen, or maybe even a dozen tomatoes and twice as many cucumbers. I don't really have any space but I also don't want to be spending another fortune this year on buying cucumbers for pickles. I could almost live off tomatoes when they're in season so I doubt I'll have any left over to can. I really wish I had room for asparagus or beets.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have a very small area for planting. I used to just grow tomatoes. I'm not tolerating tomatoes anymore, so I don't know?
I've found I like kale. Tried it for the first time after my DX. I wonder if I could grow that? :unsure: Green beans are easy growers too?

I guess I should make a trip to the garden center and see what strikes my fancy? :D

#9 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

I have a very small area for planting. I used to just grow tomatoes. I'm not tolerating tomatoes anymore, so I don't know?
I've found I like kale. Tried it for the first time after my DX. I wonder if I could grow that? :unsure: Green beans are easy growers too?

I guess I should make a trip to the garden center and see what strikes my fancy? :D

All of these gardens sound so nice!

My husband found a small kale plant at Walmart when he went for $4, I'm not sure if they would have it around where you live though. We have never had kale before so we didn't go for that one.

#10 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'm getting ready to get some plants in pots. Probably a half dozen, or maybe even a dozen tomatoes and twice as many cucumbers. I don't really have any space but I also don't want to be spending another fortune this year on buying cucumbers for pickles. I could almost live off tomatoes when they're in season so I doubt I'll have any left over to can. I really wish I had room for asparagus or beets.

I love homemade pickles. I may have to look into doing some this year, thanks for the idea.

#11 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

I'm not much of a gardener except for flowers, a tomato plant (need to wait until mid-May to plant) and a few herbs. My rosemary stayed green during our very strange PA winter (it normally dies); chives are perennial as is my oregano, which are up and thriving. I'll also plant some basil, cilantro and dill but it's too early yet and then see what else jumps into my cart at the garden center.

It was a very strange winter this year. We bought a tomato plant that just stays in it's large pot, I tried planting one our first year and got one cherry sized tomato the whole year, but last year we got probably 100.

#12 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

I just finished turning one large raised bed into two smaller ones in a different location. I transfered the soil from the bed into the smaller ones leaving the old space bare. I planted one of the small beds with some radishes, lettuce and spinach but still have a lot more to plant.
I put an arch between the two beds and will grow my beans and cukes on it. Each bed will have a tomato plant in the center and one will be for herbs and the other for my salad veggies.
The area that was left bare by the bed moving will be planted with some corn, peppers, bush beans, pickling cukes and a zucchinni.
I didn't get a chance to do any gardening last year and really missed the fresh veggies picked right before eating.
I'll even be able to plant enough corn to eat some when the ears are tiny and you eat them cob and all.
I just hope we get enough rain. It has been really dry here for spring.

That sounds like a nice set up. Fresh veggies are the best, I'm lucky since even if we don't grow it there are 2 farm stands within 3 miles of us so we can still get fresh.

#13 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

we have herbs:

thyme (german, lemon and *'regular')
*rosemary
*sage
boxwood basil, thai basil, purple basil (!), "regular"
cilantro
dill
tarragon
parsley
*chives

(* - things that survived the winter)

mesculun (sp) greens (seeds)
beets (seeds)
green onions (seeds)
red cabbage & green cabbage (plants)
taters ('seeds')
broccoli (plants)
cauliflower (plants)
brussel sprouts (plants)
carrots (seeds)

sprouts are sprouting!

still have green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, tomatoes to plant - waiting to be sure jack frost is done with us :) i love gardening :)

edited to say: i planted a small thing of strawberries, too!! :D and i have 2 artichoke plants i need to put in the ground - never tried to grow them before.... trying to decide if they are exaggerating their size prediction of 6-7' wide! anyone ever grow these?

What a selection!!! That sounds amazing.

#14 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Shhhh! Don't tell the city! I'm growing 3 basil plants in my front yard landscaping! One grew there accidently (stray seed from trash) last year and did really well but gardening isn't allowed in front yards. :lol:

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Stop it! I won't be planting anything until the end of May when it is warm enough. Our season is waaayyyyy too short. My husband built me high raised beds (huge) so I do not have to bend. They also have seating all the way around. This year I am growing:

- arugula, chicory, endive, kale
- micro greens
- a few kinds of lettuce
- edamame (soy beans)
- green beans
- a few kinds of tomatoes
- a few kinds of peppers (we must transplant them quite large, like tomatoes)
- carrots planted together with radishes - radishes come up far earlier and make room for the carrot seeds
- we must buy transplants of herbs (we could never grow by seed):
- rosemary
- lemon thyme, English thyme
- a few kinds of basil
- chives, garlic chives
- chervil
- sage
- Greek oregano
- marjoram
- tarragon
- I just know I'm missing several herbs!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: