This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Make Yogurt?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I have recently after 3 years of being gluten free been able to add back dairy. I found a local organic dairy and it has been great. I have been eating their butter and milk. I was wondering if there is a way to easily make yogurt .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

I have recently after 3 years of being gluten free been able to add back dairy. I found a local organic dairy and it has been great. I have been eating their butter and milk. I was wondering if there is a way to easily make yogurt .

We make yogurt in our house all the time! There are lots of ways to do it, but because we make so much we went ahead and got a yogurt maker. There are many kinds, some make it in little single-serve cups, some make larger quantities.

Get a good-quality yogurt culture, you can't make too many batches using "old" yogurt. You heat the milk, let it cool a bit, add the culture, put in yogurt maker or other place that can keep it consistently around 100 degrees, and in 6 to 8 hours you have yogurt! I have an oven with a dehydrate setting, that works well. Some people use a heating pad set on low but I don't think you get as consistent a result that way. I love my yogourmet yogurt maker, it uses a warm water bath. It will make up to half a gallon, but I've fit quart jars into it and made smaller quantities.

We culture ours for 24 hours to make sure all the lactose is digested by the bacteria, we have some in our house who are following the SCD diet which requires long-cultured yogurt.

I recommend Open Original Shared Link starter or Open Original Shared Link starter. The downside of the ProHealth starter is that it does not contain acidophilus, but the other bacteria are good ones. I mix the two starters so I have lots of good flora!

Sorry to be rambling a little, hope this is helpful. Making yogurt is easy, and homemade tastes so much better than storebought! It's a little more tart, but you can overcome that with fruit.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Yes - we sprung for a yogurt maker. I want to say it was about $35? Supposedly you can also do it with a heating pad but I've never tried it that way.

mushroom Proficient

I make yogurt with a heating pad all the time. It's a bit tricky wrapping it and tying it :unsure: and you have to let it sit on a thick pad so all the heat doesn't go into your granite countertop (I give it a little cap too :D ) and leave it for 24 hours. I love it.

Jestgar Rising Star

I heat the milk to ~185, let it cool to ~100 (at least less than ~120), add some yogurt mixed with warm milk to make it all liquidy, put the whole pot in the oven that's been preheated to 200 degrees and turned off. I put towel under the lid to catch the steam, but that's about it. I leave it overnight and eat it in the morning. It thickens as it cools, but I also let it drip through a coffee filter to make it more like Greek yogurt.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I make it every three days. There are lots of different ways to make it that you can find with a google search. I use a crockpot and a plug in cooler. I found a thermometer essential.

Mizzo Enthusiast

My Indian friend makes yogurt every few days with no gadgets whatsoever. She does this:

pre heat oven to mildly warm ( my warm setting is hot so I don't use it)

Bring milk (whatever % you want) to a rolling boil and shut off to cool

If you have a thermometer wait till it reaches 105'-110' or if its very very warm but not hot to touch . You can put finger in there for 5 seconds

Stir in a tbl starter yogurt (good quality you want it to be like)

put in a metal/glass bowl and cover with foil or lid and place in warm place (oven or ...

I use my microwave that I previously boiled water in for 2 minutes. This works good for me . I always over heat my oven and a hot oven kills the bacteria and your yogurt won't set.

wait 4-6 hours till set -up

make your first batch small as a trial

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately my dairy experiment failed in a big way with gluten type reactions...anyway, hopefully someone else will find this useful!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Unfortunately my dairy experiment failed in a big way with gluten type reactions...anyway,

I had the same problem until I found a pasture fed dairy source. Maybe that would work for you?

GFreeMO Proficient

I had the same problem until I found a pasture fed dairy source. Maybe that would work for you?

I am going to look into this. Thank you! Any ideas on how to go about it?

• 2 weeks later...
dustynbob Newbie

We have a farm and sell "farm shares" for $150 for 6 months of milk. The cows are A2/A2 which is a "normal" protein. I can not drink store milk; and it is A1 or B protein milk which is a hybrid and mutated form of the casein found in milk. Anyway; look it up. The cows are on pasture; but we do add a little grain while they are being milked. Now i wonder; we are raising beets and other vegs to try this fall. So, yes it makes a difference and best way is to find a family that has a milk cow that will share milk with you. Offer to milk for them, and then learn how. In some states it is illegal to sell or even give away raw milk. In our program, you milk the cows and you are responsible for your own milk.

Put an ad on Craigslist, drive out in the country ask at church.

Archived