5 replies to this topic

#1 pinkpandapants

pinkpandapants

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hello! I recently have been looking into the possibility of having Celiac disease, and stumbled upon this forum. After lurking for a bit, I thought I'd share my symptoms and see what other people think.

I was originally just looking into food intolerance in general, because a LOT of foods disagree with me. I've toyed with the idea that I may be intolerant to foods (esp. dairy) for a while now, but I've always been afraid to look into Celiac disease because I love my bread, crackers and pasta and didn't want to give them up! I always thought that it was something else making me sick when I ate wheat with other foods - but now I'm not so sure. Once I started researching, everything started falling into place. Anyway, here are my symptoms:

*Various pooping problems
-Diarrhea: 1-2 semi-liquid stools in the morning at least 4-5 times a week, for at least the past year or so!
-If not liquidy stools, then very soft and difficult to wipe away
-Occasional constipation - usually small, thin poops that are difficult to get out, and sometimes they're kind of pale
-Very rarely do I have a normal bowel movement!!
*Acid reflux
*Stomachaches
*Intestinal cramping/discomfort (feels like something clenching my lower intestine)
*Lots of burping/gas/bloating
*Thyroid disease Ė hypothyroidism
*Depression/Anxiety (controlled now with medication)
*Eczema (it comes and goes, but always in the same spots)
*General tiredness/fatigue
*Sometimes dizzy and flushed at night Ė donít know what thatís about!

Whenever I go to my doctor, she insists that it's just my acid reflux. I've gone on omeprazole several times, and it helped with heartburn, but not my stomachaches. I don't know if my diarrhea is due to my anti-depressant (citalopram) as it's one of the side-effects... but I have a long history of abnormal poops anyway! My doctor even outright told me once that she didn't know what was wrong with me. I have a new doctor now, though, and am going in for a check-up in a couple of days. Should I tell her that I want to be tested for Celiac? I mean... I WANT to be, but would it accomplish anything?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hello! I recently have been looking into the possibility of having Celiac disease, and stumbled upon this forum. After lurking for a bit, I thought I'd share my symptoms and see what other people think.

I was originally just looking into food intolerance in general, because a LOT of foods disagree with me. I've toyed with the idea that I may be intolerant to foods (esp. dairy) for a while now, but I've always been afraid to look into Celiac disease because I love my bread, crackers and pasta and didn't want to give them up! I always thought that it was something else making me sick when I ate wheat with other foods - but now I'm not so sure. Once I started researching, everything started falling into place. Anyway, here are my symptoms:

*Various pooping problems
-Diarrhea: 1-2 semi-liquid stools in the morning at least 4-5 times a week, for at least the past year or so!
-If not liquidy stools, then very soft and difficult to wipe away
-Occasional constipation - usually small, thin poops that are difficult to get out, and sometimes they're kind of pale
-Very rarely do I have a normal bowel movement!!
*Acid reflux
*Stomachaches
*Intestinal cramping/discomfort (feels like something clenching my lower intestine)
*Lots of burping/gas/bloating
*Thyroid disease Ė hypothyroidism
*Depression/Anxiety (controlled now with medication)
*Eczema (it comes and goes, but always in the same spots)
*General tiredness/fatigue
*Sometimes dizzy and flushed at night Ė donít know what thatís about!

Whenever I go to my doctor, she insists that it's just my acid reflux. I've gone on omeprazole several times, and it helped with heartburn, but not my stomachaches. I don't know if my diarrhea is due to my anti-depressant (citalopram) as it's one of the side-effects... but I have a long history of abnormal poops anyway! My doctor even outright told me once that she didn't know what was wrong with me. I have a new doctor now, though, and am going in for a check-up in a couple of days. Should I tell her that I want to be tested for Celiac? I mean... I WANT to be, but would it accomplish anything?

Your symptoms could be Celiac..or at least gluten intolerance? You will have to ask for the test because most Dr.s won't think to test for it.
Nobody WANTS Celiac..what we want is good health. If getting a DX means you change the way you eat and feel better..it's worth it.

If you don't pursue a DX, you may be getting more and more damage and end up very sick!
The Hashimoto's is a bit of a red flag IMO. It seems to go hand in hand with an intolerance to gluten.
Best wishes to you for the answers you seek.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yes, insist on celiac testing. Your symptoms are pretty typical.

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Start working with a gastroenterologist. You have symptoms for Celiac, but also another short list of disorders too. If you are Celiac, there is another short list of possible disorders that are higher odds for a Celiac too. Some of these need to be diagnosed by an endoscopy with biopsy. (This would be a good idea to see what damage GERD has done or if it could be Eosinophilic Esophagitus.)
Michigan

#5 pinkpandapants

pinkpandapants

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

So I went to my new doctor today, and she was awesome! She ordered just one Celiac test for me, the tTG-IgA. Is that one generally pretty accurate? I'm still new to all of this Celiac terminology, haha. My doctor also referred me to an allergist (because I have a whole lot of other food problems going on) and said that we'd figure out what to do gluten-wise after I get my tTG-IgA results back. I think she said that whether it was conclusive or not, she'd refer me to a gastroenterologist. So I'm very hopeful at the moment that my problems are on the way to being solved!

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

No, having only one celiac test is not accurate at all and TTG-IgA is lacking in sensitivity. It only picks up maybe 80% of people with celiac disease. Most of the research articles I've read lately suggest DGP-IgG along with the TTG-IgA. If you're positive on either you are very likely celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: