This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bored Of What I Eat.. Going Crazy

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

The foods I can eat are very limited.. and I mean VERY limited. I've never been the type of person who could stick to the same routine for too long. I'm tired of the foods I've been eating and need something new, but the gluten accidents are sadly never ending because my hubs and I are stupid (to be honest he's more stupid than me because HE was the one watching the lady slice the bresaola on a shared machine!), and I'm having a really bad reaction. Now I'm finding myself cheating every other day by eating chicken cooked in a salsa that I'm not supposed to have (it contains sugar, chili, and potato starch) and I end up with a bloat every single time I eat it, but I can't resist the flavor! And now I'm prematurely eating the pears that I was supposed to add to my diet once I was sure I wasn't reacting to the gluten accident that was before the bresaola accident because I'm dying to chew on something sweet.

*sigh* I have such terrible will-power and I feel like I'm going to go crazy! I want dark chocolate, I want cheese, I want a sandwich, I want a pancake, I want avocados, and I WANT MELON, CITRUS, BERRIES, NUTS, BEANS.. BLA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm sorry.

I can understand, to a point. I mean I've done gluten-free, and extreme li for two weeks-and I'd be lying if I said I didn't cheat on the df thing during li.

But you're dealing with alot more food restrictions than most, alot of life changes, alot of redefining moments...and it sucks. It really and truly sucks.

I can say that you will find a "happy medium" with your food. You'll find there are things you can easily give up and things you'd crawl across nails for. Figuring out how to balance the wants with the consequences is the trick, and it's different for everyone.

I don't know what else to say other than hang in there. And comfort yourself by knowing I didn't eat breakfast, took my thyroid med with coffee/milk, and am munching on chocolate chips. See, we all have our moments.

IrishHeart Veteran

There was a time when I could not eat much of anything. Even juicing fruits and veggies hurt me. Then, I was doing an elimination diet and thinking all the joy for life had been sucked out of me. My GI tract burned from mouth to rectum and I could not swallow without pain. I was bloated with inflammation, my hair falling out, itchy scabs and sores on my peeling scalp and my skin on fire from head to toe. Brain in gluten head hell and thinking...this just sucks.

Food became my enemy and I am a gourmet cook. It made me cry.

It pissed me off and made me sad.

But I could not keep anything in and foods just provoked various symptoms that made me want to swan dive off a cliff. :blink:

No gluten, no dairy, no soy, no this, no that...bah!!! argh!!

That was 15 months ago.

Today, I eat pretty much what I want-- within moderation!!!!-- and I am (mostly) fine. I have bad days too and I have to watch too many sals and amines and MSG, but it is do-able!!

No one likes to hear this (I know I didn't want to :rolleyes: ), but....it takes time to heal your gut so you CAN eat more foods without consequences. Sorry, honey.

Hang in there.

I'm sorry.

I can understand, to a point. I mean I've done gluten-free, and extreme li for two weeks-and I'd be lying if I said I didn't cheat on the df thing during li.

But you're dealing with alot more food restrictions than most, alot of life changes, alot of redefining moments...and it sucks. It really and truly sucks.

I can say that you will find a "happy medium" with your food. You'll find there are things you can easily give up and things you'd crawl across nails for. Figuring out how to balance the wants with the consequences is the trick, and it's different for everyone.

I don't know what else to say other than hang in there. And comfort yourself by knowing I didn't eat breakfast, took my thyroid med with coffee/milk, and am munching on chocolate chips. See, we all have our moments.

If you're munching on chocolate chip cookies then I think we're absolutely on the same boat! By the way I'm loving the hard unsweet pears. Their fabulous!

Perhaps I'll have such a painful bloat tonight that I'll finally put the salsa to rest.

If you're munching on chocolate chip cookies then I think we're absolutely on the same boat! By the way I'm loving the hard unsweet pears. Their fabulous!

Perhaps I'll have such a painful bloat tonight that I'll finally put the salsa to rest.

No, not cookies. That would take effort to bake :).

You'll get there. Sometimes it's overwhelming. Just breathe deep AND DON'T BUY THE STUFF! That's what I learned - I can't moderate myself with ice cream or desserts so I don't buy them. I don't eat it unless I'm out to dinner (which is rare).

Oh, last night I made frosting for my son's "dessert" since I forgot to buy him a treat (I buy stuff for him I'll never eat). Anyway, I knew better but made myself some frosting, too. Big mistake. Belly ache, nausea, ick. And then what do I do??? Eat chocolate chips. I think one drop of sugar sets me off on a binge.

I get it. And I wish you happy bloating :). Big, big bloating.

No, not cookies. That would take effort to bake :).

You'll get there. Sometimes it's overwhelming. Just breathe deep AND DON'T BUY THE STUFF! That's what I learned - I can't moderate myself with ice cream or desserts so I don't buy them. I don't eat it unless I'm out to dinner (which is rare).

Oh, last night I made frosting for my son's "dessert" since I forgot to buy him a treat (I buy stuff for him I'll never eat). Anyway, I knew better but made myself some frosting, too. Big mistake. Belly ache, nausea, ick. And then what do I do??? Eat chocolate chips. I think one drop of sugar sets me off on a binge.

No I never get tempted to buy and I eat before going grocery shopping.. but looking at all the beautiful red melons just makes my heart ache.. I do have a small box of lactose-free banana chocolate ice-cream in the freezer, and a box of vanilla chocolate sandwich cookies that I bought before starting the elimination diet, but I don't really feel an urge to eat them because I know I won't like how sweet they are after being off sugar for so long. What I'm dying for is a big juicy melon, and a mixed berry/ mango/ banana fruit salad or smoothie.. make it a smoothie with some honey! *sigh*

It does help to know that others are cheating haha :-) I'm sorry you felt bad last night though! The chocolate chips and frostiest were probably worth it!

I get it. And I wish you happy bloating :). Big, big bloating.

Hahahahaha! At least I'll be remembering this and laughing to myself instead of moaning tonight!

Ninja Contributor

I can completely relate! *hugs*

The chocolate and cheesecake and pie and cookies and and and....

You'll get there. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

There was a time when I could not eat much of anything. Even juicing fruits and veggies hurt me. Then, I was doing an elimination diet and thinking all the joy for life had been sucked out of me. My GI tract burned from mouth to rectum and I could not swallow without pain. I was bloated with inflammation, my hair falling out, itchy scabs and sores on my peeling scalp and my skin on fire from head to toe. Brain in gluten head hell and thinking...this just sucks.

Food became my enemy and I am a gourmet cook. It made me cry.

It pissed me off and made me sad.

But I could not keep anything in and foods just provoked various symptoms that made me want to swan dive off a cliff. :blink:

No gluten, no dairy, no soy, no this, no that...bah!!! argh!!

That was 15 months ago.

Today, I eat pretty much what I want-- within moderation!!!!-- and I am (mostly) fine. I have bad days too and I have to watch too many sals and amines and MSG, but it is do-able!!

No one likes to hear this (I know I didn't want to :rolleyes: ), but....it takes time to heal your gut so you CAN eat more foods without consequences. Sorry, honey.

Hang in there.

Everytime you mention your story I think of how extreme things can get! I only hope that I'll be tolerating foods as well soon. I'm hanging but the pears will be eaten!

I can completely relate! *hugs*

The chocolate and cheesecake and pie and cookies and and and....

You'll get there. :)

Omg don't even get me started on pies ;_; Thanks for the much needed hug

IrishHeart Veteran

Everytime you mention your story I think of how extreme things can get! I only hope that I'll be tolerating foods as well soon. I'm hanging but the pears will be eaten!

WHOOPS, I am becoming a TOTAL bore then if you know my story so well SORRY. :(

I was trying to be encouraging, but failed, I guess...

let me try this then

(hugs)

and eat the pears for sure :)

wishing you well, IH

WHOOPS, I am becoming a TOTAL bore then if you know my story so well SORRY. :(

I was trying to be encouraging, but failed, I guess...

let me try this then

(hugs)

and eat the pears for sure :)

wishing you well, IH

Nooo I didn't mean it like that! I meant that your story should probably be a clue for me to stop whining :-) But I whined anyway. Thanks for the hug and wishes, I'll savor every bite of my pears :-)

IrishHeart Veteran

Nooo I didn't mean it like that! I meant that your story should probably be a clue for me to stop whining :-) But I whined anyway. Thanks for the hug and wishes, I'll savor every bite of my pears :-)

oh hunny...you can always whine! we GET it. :)

(hugs again) I wish I could push a fast forward button for you. :(

oh hunny...you can always whine! we GET it. :)

(hugs again) I wish I could push a fast forward button for you. :(

Such a button would work wonders!

GUUUYS SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED!

I ate the hard unsweet pears *together* with the salsa chicken last night, and while I was waiting for the massive bloat, NOTHING happened!

I tried it again for lunch today, and still, no bloat :-O What is going on!

I also have a small question, if I don't react to brown rice, does that mean white rice is ok? I managed to find rice milk today and I'm overly excited! I haven't tried it yet though.

GUUUYS SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED!

I ate the hard unsweet pears *together* with the salsa chicken last night, and while I was waiting for the massive bloat, NOTHING happened!

I tried it again for lunch today, and still, no bloat :-O What is going on!

I also have a small question, if I don't react to brown rice, does that mean white rice is ok? I managed to find rice milk today and I'm overly excited! I haven't tried it yet though.

Well, it's good news right?

Are you saying that adding pears took away bloat that was happening within the last few days or that bloat just didn't happen (when seemingly everything makes you bloat)?

I don't know the intricacies of rice but I'd guess that if you're ok with brown, white should be ok. Except, rice milks contain more than just rice...so you may consider finding a recipe and making some first so you can control your exposure. Many people say it tastes better, too.

IrishHeart Veteran

That's good! :) No bloating is good!!

I agree about the question of the rice milk. Make your own. Google it!

Very easy.

That's good! :) No bloating is good!!

I agree about the question of the rice milk. Make your own. Google it!

Very easy.

Not to mention, if it improves the taste it's well worth it. That stuff is vile IMO.

Sorry, just had a postpartum flashback...shiver. Ick.

I was getting bloated after eating the salsa chicken alone, with brown rice, or with sweet potatoes. What I did last night and today was eat the salsa chicken with pealed hard unsweet pears.. and no bloat.. How is that possible?

Make my own rice milk? I didn't know that was possible!

I found the rice milk I have in the supermarket.. It contains rice raps-oil, salt and emulsifiers. Do you guys think I should make my own instead?

IrishHeart Veteran

I was getting bloated after eating the salsa chicken alone, with brown rice, or with sweet potatoes. What I did last night and today was eat the salsa chicken with pealed hard unsweet pears.. and no bloat.. How is that possible?

Make my own rice milk? I didn't know that was possible!

I found the rice milk I have in the supermarket.. It contains rice raps-oil, salt and emulsifiers. Do you guys think I should make my own instead?

Maybe it was the chicken,

PLUS rice

PLUS sweet potatoes was too much CARB overload.

I would bloat from all that too!

try the rice milk! If you like it and it is ok, then no worries.

I see! Thanks so much for your comforting, associations and advice! I love you for it!

IrishHeart Veteran

I see! Thanks so much for your comforting, associations and advice! I love you for it!

If the rice milk bothers you for some reason, I can tell you how to make it. The problem is--if you do not use it fast enough, it gets rancid quickly.

Wish we could help more. Too bad we all live so far away from each other. :(

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Dani, can you give me your no-no list? I will think of something interesting to eat, that I can promise you!

Dani, can you give me your no-no list? I will think of something interesting to eat, that I can promise you!

Really? :-O I would be ever so grateful my taste-buds would probably even worship you, but I don't think it'll be easy to come up with new recipes because I'm on a very limited dairy-free and low iodine and sals diet. My biggest no-nos (beside gluten) are legumes, due to G6PD.

These are the only foods I *can* eat:

Red meat,

chicken,

Sweet-water fish,

sweet-potatoes (but really limited amounts),

rice,

mountain salt,

carrot (in moderation),

green-leaf veggies except fresh spinach (frozen spinach is ok),

celery,

onion,

fresh tomato (limited),

aubergine (in moderation),

garlic,

lemon/ lime,

sunflower/ raps oil,

VERY VERY LIMITED herbs and spices,

7up Light (I know the sweetener is a bad idea but it's a guilty pleasure ;-( and I don't react to it)

I added unsweet, hard, and pealed green pears yesterday. I think they're staying :-)

If the rice milk bothers you for some reason, I can tell you how to make it. The problem is--if you do not use it fast enough, it gets rancid quickly.

Wish we could help more. Too bad we all live so far away from each other. :(

IrishHeart, you're helping plenty and you have no idea how grateful I am to even find people I can talk to about this. the ready made rice milk was awful ;-( Please enlighten me with your technique!

I actually went looking for almond milk but I think Sweden never heard of it because it wasn't in any of the shops.

I completely agree, I would be 19 times happier living closer to members! We would probably do cooking meetings, gluten-free picnics, and so much more!

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart, you're helping plenty and you have no idea how grateful I am to even find people I can talk to about this. the ready made rice milk was awful ;-( Please enlighten me with your technique!

Oh, I do know how you feel---I felt the same way when I first came on--and I still do! :)

Rice milk is not that exciting to me :lol: but I made it when I first had to be dairy free and it served a purpose. I use coconut milk now.

I tried a few recipes for rice milk. They are essentially the same.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived