This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bored Of What I Eat.. Going Crazy

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

Oh, I do know how you feel---I felt the same way when I first came on--and I still do! :)

Rice milk is not that exciting to me :lol: but I made it when I first had to be dairy free and it served a purpose. I use coconut milk now.

I tried a few recipes for rice milk. They are essentially the same.

Open Original Shared Link

THANK YOU :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Dani, I don't know if you can do nuts at all, but cashews (I believe) are the only low sal nut. Check and see.

You can make a variety of milk, cream, cream cheese sub using raw, unsalted cashews.

You soak the amount to use in water overnight in the fridge, then rinse. Then put the nuts plus fresh water in the blender and mix to the consistency you want. More water=thinner.

People use this as a raw, vegan cream cheese in a thick form. They even make cheese cakes with it.

Oooh, hazelnuts are too as well as pecans and sesame seeds!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have to ask, what is "sweet water fish"?

Dani, I don't know if you can do nuts at all, but cashews (I believe) are the only low sal nut. Check and see.

You can make a variety of milk, cream, cream cheese sub using raw, unsalted cashews.

You soak the amount to use in water overnight in the fridge, then rinse. Then put the nuts plus fresh water in the blender and mix to the consistency you want. More water=thinner.

People use this as a raw, vegan cream cheese in a thick form. They even make cheese cakes with it.

I did buy a bag of plain cashews before getting glutened :-D It's great that they can be used in many other different ways too! :-) It'll be 12 days after the glutenation in a week.. I'll add the cashews.

I forgot about almonds being high sals, good thing I didn't find any almond milk today!

Thanks once again!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Really? :-O I would be ever so grateful my taste-buds would probably even worship you, but I don't think it'll be easy to come up with new recipes because I'm on a very limited dairy-free and low iodine and sals diet. My biggest no-nos (beside gluten) are legumes, due to G6PD.

These are the only foods I *can* eat:

Red meat,

chicken,

Sweet-water fish,

sweet-potatoes (but really limited amounts),

rice,

mountain salt,

carrot (in moderation),

green-leaf veggies except fresh spinach (frozen spinach is ok),

celery,

onion,

fresh tomato (limited),

aubergine (in moderation),

garlic,

lemon/ lime,

sunflower/ raps oil,

VERY VERY LIMITED herbs and spices,

7up Light (I know the sweetener is a bad idea but it's a guilty pleasure ;-( and I don't react to it)

I added unsweet, hard, and pealed green pears yesterday. I think they're staying :-)

Ok, what is determining this list? Were you tested for food intolerances or are these the only things you have so far succesfully reintroduced on an elimination diet? And when you say limited herbs and spices, do you mean only certain ones or just a little bit of any one?

There's another reason to steer clear of alternative milks while you're li. Most here in the states add carageenan which is seaweed which is high in iodine. Another reason to make it at home.

Go figure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

It's probably lake and river fish (except for river fish that also lived in the saltwater).. They have an amazing fish called abborre here in Sweden that I absolutely love, but it's really expensive. I sadly have not run across any other kinds.

I just realized that you probably got confused because the correct term is freshwater fish.. isn't it.

Ok, what is determining this list? Were you tested for food intolerances or are these the only things you have so far succesfully reintroduced on an elimination diet? And when you say limited herbs and spices, do you mean only certain ones or just a little bit of any one?

I sadly wasn't tested for anything yet. THey told me three weeks ago that my doc would be seeing me in four weeks, but I'm still waiting for the appointment letter. I'm hoping that waiting this long will be worth it.

These are foods that I've successfully added into my diet so far. Sadly all spices seem to be high on sals, so I try hard to only add them when the food is uneatable otherwise (putting aside my cheating with the salsa chicken)

Dani,, are things improving at all?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I sadly wasn't tested for anything yet. THey told me three weeks ago that my doc would be seeing me in four weeks, but I'm still waiting for the appointment letter. I'm hoping that waiting this long will be worth it.

These are foods that I've successfully added into my diet so far. Sadly all spices seem to be high on sals, so I try hard to only add them when the food is uneatable otherwise (putting aside my cheating with the salsa chicken)

Well, the first thing I notice when I Google low salicylate diets (which I have no experience with) is that maple syrup and cocoa are low salicylate. I make hot chocolate from milk, cocoa, and maple syrup and I love it. Maybe when you've figured out the rice milk thing you can try that? Also, cashews and hazelnuts are listed as being 'low' salicylate. So a paste from chopped hazelnuts and maple syrup over chicken in a crock pot with onion would be a nice change, and make the chicken nice and moist. You might put it over a bed of sauteed sliced bamboo shoots and cabbage.

The list said garlic, shallots, parsley, leeks and saffron are low sal. These are all (except parsley) strongly flavored, delicious seasonings. Garlic, leek, onion in oil, add diced chicken? Try searing red meat and then adding the oil you use and then browning your onion in that, will add a great deal of flavor. Conversely, try browning your onion (slowly, always go slow with onion!) and then searing the meat in that.

I will have more thoughts, but need to research the diet more.

Edited to say: And if you can have onion, tomato, and garlic, then make your own salsa! The more garlic, the spicier it will be.

Dani,, are things improving at all?

I've improved dramatically after starting the low sals diet and adding sweet potatoes. For once I'm less fatigued and not itching my skin off anymore. I owe it all to the advice I've been getting here!

My only problem now is bowel movements.. I get D for a few days then alternate to C for a few more days.

I think the doc will just be adding to my list of frustrations, but I've decided to go to the doc for two reasons: To ask for levels tests to see what I'm lacking, and I'm hoping that getting officially diagnosed will be a wake-up call for my family. They're not listening to me sadly.

Well, the first thing I notice when I Google low salicylate diets (which I have no experience with) is that maple syrup and cocoa are low salicylate. I make hot chocolate from milk, cocoa, and maple syrup and I love it. Maybe when you've figured out the rice milk thing you can try that? Also, cashews and hazelnuts are listed as being 'low' salicylate. So a paste from chopped hazelnuts and maple syrup over chicken in a crock pot with onion would be a nice change, and make the chicken nice and moist. You might put it over a bed of sauteed sliced bamboo shoots and cabbage.

The list said garlic, shallots, parsley, leeks and saffron are low sal. These are all (except parsley) strongly flavored, delicious seasonings. Garlic, leek, onion in oil, add diced chicken? Try searing red meat and then adding the oil you use and then browning your onion in that, will add a great deal of flavor. Conversely, try browning your onion (slowly, always go slow with onion!) and then searing the meat in that.

I will have more thoughts, but need to research the diet more.

Edited to say: And if you can have onion, tomato, and garlic, then make your own salsa! The more garlic, the spicier it will be.

My mouth watered just reading that.. The nut/ maple syrup dressing sounds like an amazing alternative to the one I've been cheating with. They all sound really really good, thank you! I will have to wait until I add maple syrup and the nuts :-)

I've improved dramatically after starting the low sals diet and adding sweet potatoes. For once I'm less fatigued and not itching my skin off anymore. I owe it all to the advice I've been getting here!

My only problem now is bowel movements.. I get D for a few days then alternate to C for a few more days.

I think the doc will just be adding to my list of frustrations, but I've decided to go to the doc for two reasons: To ask for levels tests to see what I'm lacking, and I'm hoping that getting officially diagnosed will be a wake-up call for my family. They're not listening to me sadly.

The alternating d and c is quite common during gluten recovery. Don't read too much into it unless you see a pattern or have immediate recognizable symptoms from a particular food.

Vitamin panels will help; sadly, you can't run Celiac panels now that you are gluten-free. However, you never know what a doc will say regarding dx. If it is clearly a case of not being able to tolerate gluten you can always be classified NCGI. Of course, alot of us have found that it doesn't matter what doctors say - family members either will or won't (listen or be tested).

IrishHeart Veteran

It's probably lake and river fish (except for river fish that also lived in the saltwater).. They have an amazing fish called abborre here in Sweden that I absolutely love, but it's really expensive. I sadly have not run across any other kinds.

okay, we say "Fresh water fish" here in the US :) , that's why I wondered.

IrishHeart Veteran

I always suggest probiotics to people who still experience alternating bowels. They really help with balancing the gut and stopping the D and C. Have you taken them?

The alternating d and c is quite common during gluten recovery. Don't read too much into it unless you see a pattern or have immediate recognizable symptoms from a particular food.

Vitamin panels will help; sadly, you can't run Celiac panels now that you are gluten-free. However, you never know what a doc will say regarding dx. If it is clearly a case of not being able to tolerate gluten you can always be classified NCGI. Of course, alot of us have found that it doesn't matter what doctors say - family members either will or won't (listen or be tested).

Good to know about the d and c. I like hearing the word recovery :-)

I might agree to a trial period of going on gluten again if the doc asks, although I'm being reminded right now of why I am dreading the thought every time I think about it (I gained an entire dress size from glutenation swelling, and the DH blisters have finally made their appearance today).

I always suggest probiotics to people who still experience alternating bowels. They really help with balancing the gut and stopping the D and C. Have you taken them?

I've been advised to take them many times but have been neglectful :-/ I still haven't looked for a suitable low sals and dairy-free one and I'm a little clueless.

I'm not taking any supplements yet either, partly because I'm worried the test results will show nothing, and the doc will be giving me the standard pat on the back send-off. Then there is the problem of how incompetent the pharmacists are. I don't trust their recommendations. Whenever I go to the pharmacy and ask for soy-, lactose- and gluten-free supplements I don't get the right help.. so I thought it would be best to wait for the doc's appointment.

I once went to a pharmacy and asked if they knew what brand of toothpaste was gluten-free, and the answer I got was that no toothpaste can possibly contain gluten.

I also went (to a different pharmacy) to get pain-killers, the pharmacist recommended aspirin, but when I told her about the G6PD she had no clue what that was, so I told her anemia from legumes, and she said there was no such thing.

oops sorry for the double post

Ninja Contributor

I take Kyo-Dolphilus which I know is dairy and gluten free... and I'm almost positive it is soy free as well. If I remember correctly there are 3 billion live cells per capsule. IH is right, they really do make a difference.

You may also want to check out digestive enzymes. I just started taking them about a week ago – they have helped so much!

IrishHeart Veteran

oops sorry for the double post

no worries; those double posts disappear magically ;)

Dani, probiotics in powder form contain nothing to hurt you. Many are made without dairy, soy or any preservatives and fillers.

They are natural, found in your body, and are very helpful in balancing the gut. Here is an explanation:

There must be a powder probiotic available there? Here is one in the US, but I do not know what shipping would be like :rolleyes:

The point is, your alternating bowels (the D and C ) are not something you should have to put up with. It's draining on the body and makes you feel lousy all the time.

It's worth a try. Every gut needs healthy beneficial bacteria.

Every single person I know who starts taking them improves. I won't mention any names, but one veteran on here told me she still had D every single day nearly two years after being gluten-free and I suggested she just please try some Culturelle. She reported to me that after 2 weeks, it was gone. :)

I had alternating bowels my entire life. Just made me feel awful and who knew where it would hit me and I had to get to a bathroom quickly--- or if I would be bound up for days. It's no fun.

But not anymore. I am Normal. :D (well, in that regard anyway! :lol: )

Just a suggestion, hon.

Thanks guys! I know the probiotics are very helpful since everyone is taking them.. I just felt a little overwhelmed and lazy to research them in Sweden. I'll see if I can find the brands you recommended here, or something like them. Thanks for the recommendations :-)

I actually did go hunting for digestive enzymes a year ago (before knowing I had celiac) and all the pharmacies said that the only thing I can get off the shelf was a lactose enzyme and some other enzyme.. They rarely ever prescribe them as well.. I don't remember what the reason was exactly but enzymes are frowned upon here. I ended up going home with a ton of expensive vitamins that didn't do anything for me, although I did explain to the pharmacist that I rarely eat junk-food or candy, and that my food mostly consisted of fresh foods.. so she should have thought it was strange I wasn't getting enough nutrition from my diet. I think that the main reason I didn't get proper help was the fact that I've always been overweight. Doctors and pharmacists immediately assume they know what kindof food I eat and how much I move just by looking at me, and they sadly let anything I tell them out the other ear.

Oh geez. And we thought they were bad in the States.

I've actually had decent luck with pharmacists.

I would reco brands but I've never gone down the soy free route. I use Enzymedica enzymes. You might check and see if they meet all the requirements and are available to you. They are very well respected.

I use Weleda salt toothpaste but it has mint in it so that's out for sals.

I use Tylenol for minor pains. Almost all of their formulations are gluten-free in the States but check it there. The advantage is it isn't an NSAID and is supposed to be less likely to make DH flare.

It is true that if you supplament now with vitamins/minerals it could mess up testing. That happened to me with B's. I was taking lots of them and my test was normal. I got off them and next time I was low low low.

IrishHeart Veteran

I use Enzymedica too--yes, they are soy free.

Archived