This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bored Of What I Eat.. Going Crazy

dani nero

Ninja Contributor

I will triple the suggestion for Enzymedica. They made a huge difference for me. Hopefully you can find something!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lori2 Contributor

I use Enzymedica too--yes, they are soy free.

Enzymedica has so many different formulations. Could you tell us which one you use?

IrishHeart Veteran

Enzymedica has so many different formulations. Could you tell us which one you use?

Sure! I use Digest Gold

Open Original Shared Link

cougie23 Explorer

Hey Dani...Prickly is right! too many ingredients in rice milk! not all are created equal! LOL...Try Blue diamond almond milk , the unsweetened tastes very close to REAL milk...although my fammily prefers the sweetened vanilla because it tastes like melted vanilla icecream and wafflecones! I use it as a subtitute for creamer in my coffee! Also almond milk has more CALCIUM and POTASIUM than REAL MILK!!

Pears are very good for your digestion...you should google "health benifets of pears" see what you come up with! I do that all the time...dates are amazing food also by the way!

And Irish...don't stop telling your story! Its allways insperational...puts our OWN perspective in place...and the more you tell it the more chances of NEWBIES coming across it to be inspired as well!Just when things seem over whelming we read about OTHERS miseryies AND triumphs over Celiacs and it gives us HOPE! Besides how else is everybody going to learn if we don't all share our experiances! if only to know we're not alone! So many TIPS on what to do..lots of trial and error...this site is invaluable!

And GUYS... Its OK to complain...this is a SHARED thing .Our family and friends certainly don't want to hear about it,(at least not as much as we NEED to TALK about it..LOL!) This is the PERFECT place to let out a good RANT...WE'VE ALL HAD OUR SHARE! LOL!!! WE GET IT...so Rant away!!! Its good for you!

HAVE A GOOD DAY LADIES! ...and THANKYOU! :D

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted it Dani. Great big (((((HUGS)))))!!!!!!!!!! And whoopieeeeee for the pears & salsa. Now, you know the salsa is high sals Dani but I'm just reminding you is all. If you get away with it then by all means ENJOY heartily! I have an idea for your next trial. Cashews - unsalted & salt them yourself with non iodized salt. Actually, I've gotten quite fond of things unsalted. Took the opportunity to cut back on my general salt consumption through all this process as I was a total saltaholic. I digress. If you can do the cashews that will give you something crunchy to satisfy that urge. And then you will know that you can eat cashew nut butter which you can spread on things. Cashews are low sal. And if you can eat cashews then it's a good bet you can eat pecans & walnuts --- all low sal nuts. Then you can put pecans or walnuts in foods to zip them up. How about a pear salad? A leaf of iceberg lettuce with peeled pears sitting on it with a dollop of gluten-free mayo with chopped walnuts or pecans sprinkled on top. You can put roasted chopped pecans in rice too to zip it up.

And I don't see why white rice would bother you if brown rice doesn't. White rice is nothing more than brown rice minus the brown.biggrin.gif

How are you doing today? You last posted on the 19th & this is the 21st. We hope you only have good news!

Edited to say --- I'm a dunce! I missed a whole page when reading & responding to this. Can you say, "senior moment"?????laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

dani nero Community Regular

Hey Dani...Prickly is right! too many ingredients in rice milk! not all are created equal! LOL...Try Blue diamond almond milk , the unsweetened tastes very close to REAL milk...although my fammily prefers the sweetened vanilla because it tastes like melted vanilla icecream and wafflecones! I use it as a subtitute for creamer in my coffee! Also almond milk has more CALCIUM and POTASIUM than REAL MILK!!

Pears are very good for your digestion...you should google "health benifets of pears" see what you come up with! I do that all the time...dates are amazing food also by the way!

And Irish...don't stop telling your story! Its allways insperational...puts our OWN perspective in place...and the more you tell it the more chances of NEWBIES coming across it to be inspired as well!Just when things seem over whelming we read about OTHERS miseryies AND triumphs over Celiacs and it gives us HOPE! Besides how else is everybody going to learn if we don't all share our experiances! if only to know we're not alone! So many TIPS on what to do..lots of trial and error...this site is invaluable!

And GUYS... Its OK to complain...this is a SHARED thing .Our family and friends certainly don't want to hear about it,(at least not as much as we NEED to TALK about it..LOL!) This is the PERFECT place to let out a good RANT...WE'VE ALL HAD OUR SHARE! LOL!!! WE GET IT...so Rant away!!! Its good for you!

HAVE A GOOD DAY LADIES! ...and THANKYOU! :D

Hi Cougie! I love your profile picture :-O

I sadly couldn't find any almond milk here, but it really sounds tasty.. Perhaps it's a good thing because almonds seem to be high on sals which means it'll make me itch. Dates are also high on sals, but it might be worth it to see if I can tolerate just one date a day, because they contain soooo many vitamins!

You are so right, family and friends don't want to hear about it.. it isn't something that excites them haha :-) WHenever I talk to my husband about this I see a look on his face: Oh no, here she goes! I don't get it, because he should be thrilled that we at last know what the deal is. We used to think that we couldn't have children without extreme measures and now that has disappeared :-)

I can't stop stressing how glad and happy I am to have people to talk to about this. I am trying to be active with other people's topics but I don't think I'm good at solving problems as well as I am in finding them! I just wish we live closer and could meat regularly like IrishHeart pointed.

Oh geez. And we thought they were bad in the States.

I've actually had decent luck with pharmacists.

I would reco brands but I've never gone down the soy free route. I use Enzymedica enzymes. You might check and see if they meet all the requirements and are available to you. They are very well respected.

I use Weleda salt toothpaste but it has mint in it so that's out for sals.

I use Tylenol for minor pains. Almost all of their formulations are gluten-free in the States but check it there. The advantage is it isn't an NSAID and is supposed to be less likely to make DH flare.

It is true that if you supplament now with vitamins/minerals it could mess up testing. That happened to me with B's. I was taking lots of them and my test was normal. I got off them and next time I was low low low.

In terms of medicine I am sad to say that sweden's health-care needs a loooooot of change. So many things they haven't heard about and I'm not the only one complaining.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted it Dani. Great big (((((HUGS)))))!!!!!!!!!! And whoopieeeeee for the pears & salsa. Now, you know the salsa is high sals Dani but I'm just reminding you is all. If you get away with it then by all means ENJOY heartily! I have an idea for your next trial. Cashews - unsalted & salt them yourself with non iodized salt. Actually, I've gotten quite fond of things unsalted. Took the opportunity to cut back on my general salt consumption through all this process as I was a total saltaholic. I digress. If you can do the cashews that will give you something crunchy to satisfy that urge. And then you will know that you can eat cashew nut butter which you can spread on things. Cashews are low sal. And if you can eat cashews then it's a good bet you can eat pecans & walnuts --- all low sal nuts. Then you can put pecans or walnuts in foods to zip them up. How about a pear salad? A leaf of iceberg lettuce with peeled pears sitting on it with a dollop of gluten-free mayo with chopped walnuts or pecans sprinkled on top. You can put roasted chopped pecans in rice too to zip it up.

And I don't see why white rice would bother you if brown rice doesn't. White rice is nothing more than brown rice minus the brown.biggrin.gif

How are you doing today? You last posted on the 19th & this is the 21st. We hope you only have good news!

Edited to say --- I'm a dunce! I missed a whole page when reading & responding to this. Can you say, "senior moment"?????laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hahaha Squirming :-) You're not a dunce but you did put a smile on my face!

Indeed the salsa did cause an itch and very mild blisters that are going away now that I stopped eating it. I think that the cheating period is finally over since I've seen a flash of the consequences. And I'm feeling extremely motivated and up for putting up with the diet once again thanks to all of you!

Those treats sound yummy :-) I'm not a big mayo fan, and I'm yet to add eggs to my diet, but I'll figure a way to adapt it to my liking.. perhaps by mixing it with something else to change the flavor and thickness. Maybe lime and some creme fraiche.. once all the ingredients are added that is.

I get what you mean about getting used to smaller amounts of salt. I feel that it applies to sugar as well. Ever since I started the elimination diet, I've been tasting the sweetness in things double fold. The green pears used to be very mild in sweetness for me compared to when I used to eat chocolate and ice cream, or put sugar in my tea. Now they taste as sweet as honey. I cheated the other day by taking a bite of ice cream, and it tasted way too sweet to the point of not liking it.

I was actually very excited about the cashews, I ended up adding them yesterday, even though my gluten symptoms have not completely passed. I know I should have waited but I think it was important to add something new for the sake of not continuing to eat things that will bother me. They were a bit hard on my stomach when I ate them raw. I got a small heartburn with some nausea. I tried them again, but I roasted them (in the evening and again this morning) and didn't feel any discomfort. I think they're going to be ok :-)

Hi guys (gals actually).. Do you think it would be too soon to try a dairy based pro-biotic yoghurt? I remember many members specifying that although they could not handle lactose, yoghurt was fine.

You've all recommended powder probiotics, and I don't doubt that they're harmless, but I've always disliked taking things. I want to try it the natural (eating) way first.

I have a question though.. Is it enough to have three types of bacteria in the yoghurt? I found one called Cultura Dophilus from Arla which contains three.

IrishHeart Veteran

senior moment!....I'm sorry, what were we talking about....?

:lol: :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi guys (gals actually).. Do you think it would be too soon to try a dairy based pro-biotic yoghurt? I remember many members specifying that although they could not handle lactose, yoghurt was fine.

You've all recommended powder probiotics, and I don't doubt that they're harmless, but I've always disliked taking things. I want to try it the natural (eating) way first.

I have a question though.. Is it enough to have three types of bacteria in the yoghurt? I found one called Cultura Dophilus from Arla which contains three.

Yoplait only has one culture.

3 cultures is better than none or only one. The Chobani yogurt has these: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, BIFIDUS & L. CASEI.

And when I first started the yogurt here's what I did..... I wouldn't eat the whole thing or even half of the container. I just got a clean spoon & took out a big heaping's worth on the spoon. I figured some is better than none. And that was my trial. As time went on I increased to 2 heaping spoons & so forth until I became sure it was doing okay for me.

IrishHeart Veteran

Dani, honey, the amount of beneficial bacteria in standard yogurt is insufficient to repopulate your unbalanced gut.

Did you read the article I sent you yet? That gastrointestinal doctor's article is the best at explaining WHY we need them.

The small amount of probiotics added to yogurt is good for people to maintain good gut bacteria, but it's not enough for people to wipe out the bad bacteria and re-colonize the gut. You'd have to eat dozens of those cartons to get close to the amount in a small amount of probiotic powder. (you just mix it in water or juice and drink it down. No big deal! No taste to it.)

You could even mix it IN the container of yogurt!

It's certainly up to you, and I am not "a probiotics pusher" :lol:

but my research and my experience--and the experiences of others with celiac and a leaky gut--prove that probiotics are essential to restoring a health gut population.

If you do not want to take them, you could also try a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in water. It improves gut motility, gives you added fiber and omega-3s and will help with that constipation. My skeptical hubs (grumbling all the way :rolleyes: )did it last night upon my suggestion and he is one happy camper this morning.

I did not intend to become an expert in "poopology", :lol: but I was determined to figure out how to make my life-long alternating D and C stop. I read tons about the GI tract and know more than I ever cared to about it. :lol:

Eliminating gluten and taking probiotics to heal my gut were the answer.

Just a suggestion!

Hope you are feeling better and better each day!

It takes me 3 weeks to recover from a gluten CC, so I know how maddening it is.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks for the info. IH!

Dani, honey, the amount of beneficial bacteria in standard yogurt is insufficient to repopulate your unbalanced gut.

Did you read the article I sent you yet? That gastrointestinal doctor's article is the best at explaining WHY we need them.

The small amount of probiotics added to yogurt is good for people to maintain good gut bacteria, but it's not enough for people to wipe out the bad bacteria and re-colonize the gut. You'd have to eat a dozen cartons to get close to the amount in a small amount of probiotic powder. (you just mix it in water or juice and drink it down. No big deal! No taste to it.)

You could even mix it IN the container of yogurt!

It's certainly up to you, and I am not "a probiotics pusher" :lol:

but my research and my experience--and the experiences of others with celiac and a leaky gut--prove that probiotics are essential to restoring a health gut population.

If you do not want to take them, you could also try a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in water. It improves gut motility, gives you added fiber and omega-3s and will help with that constipation. My skeptical hubs (grumbling all the way :rolleyes: )did it last night upon my suggestion and he is one happy camper this morning.

I did not intend to become an expert in "poopology", :lol: but I was determined to figure out how to make my life-long alternating D and C stop. I read tons about the GI tract and know more than I ever cared to about it. :lol:

Eliminating gluten and taking probiotics to heal my gut were the answer.

Just a suggestion!

Hope you are feeling better and better each day!

It takes me 3 weeks to recover from a gluten CC, so I know how maddening it is.

I read most of the questions in it, but must have missed the needed quantity :-) Thanks for the information IrishHeart. You're always so helpful!

IrishHeart Veteran

I read most of the questions in it, but must have missed the needed quantity :-) Thanks for the information IrishHeart. You're always so helpful!

You're welcome. I just hate to think of you still feeling lousy, that's all. I keep trying to think of things that might help.

;)

Yoplait only has one culture.

3 cultures is better than none or only one. The Chobani yogurt has these: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, BIFIDUS & L. CASEI.

And when I first started the yogurt here's what I did..... I wouldn't eat the whole thing or even half of the container. I just got a clean spoon & took out a big heaping's worth on the spoon. I figured some is better than none. And that was my trial. As time went on I increased to 2 heaping spoons & so forth until I became sure it was doing okay for me.

Squirming, you went gluten free four months before I did.. How many months after you started did you introduce the spoonfuls of yogurt?

You're welcome. I just hate to think of you still feeling lousy, that's all. I keep trying to think of things that might help.

;)

I'll give the powder in the yogurt a try.. although I do love the idea of flax-seeds since I haven't been able to eat so much fish lately.

squirmingitch Veteran

Squirming, you went gluten free four months before I did.. How many months after you started did you introduce the spoonfuls of yogurt?

A month ago Dani.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll give the powder in the yogurt a try.. although I do love the idea of flax-seeds since I haven't been able to eat so much fish lately.

but just try one NEW thing at a time, Dani, otherwise you may not know what's working and what is giving you grief.

okay?

but just try one NEW thing at a time, Dani, otherwise you may not know what's working and what is giving you grief.

okay?

Yes of course! :-)

*hug*

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Well, think of it this way. Yogurt is simply a dairy product with probiotic bacteria ADDED to it. So what's in the yogurt is exactly the same thing as what would come in a powder or capsule supplement. Except that any commercial yogurt you find likely has been pasteurized, homogenized, had at least half the fat removed, and had a pile of either processed or fake sugar added to it. So in reality, a probiotic supplement is a much more natural way of getting the good bacteria you need than storebought yogurt. If you can find an organic, whole milk, plain yogurt, I would say go for it a few months from now. For now, it probably isn't a good idea to introduce any dairy. You're still healing.

IrishHeart Veteran

So in reality, a probiotic supplement is a much more natural way of getting the good bacteria you need than storebought yogurt. If you can find an organic, whole milk, plain yogurt, I would say go for it a few months from now. For now, it probably isn't a good idea to introduce any dairy. You're still healing.

I agree with Bunnie!

.........and her feet look just like mine. :)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Dani, I understand how you feel about not taking supplaments.

The only time I voluntarily took them was while trying to get pregnant, during pregnancy, and while nursing. And they probably saved my son from defects.

After I was dx'ed with Hashis I took what my doc rx'ed for a while then quit because (you're gonna love this) they did make me feel better but they wanted to find the right dose of thyroid meds and I couldn't tell the difference between the thyroid meds and supplaments.

After we found the right dose I never started retaking them.

Five years later I'm on mega doses of d3, iron, and b's to try to fix my deficiencies. I'm also taking probiotics, digestive enzymes, fish oil, and a multi and cal/mag. I need to add some DHA/progenolone, as well as some more stuff for my thyroid.

It took me months to get comfortable taking anything, much less half a dang pharmacy. Hopefully some of it can scale back soon - my iron and d3 are rising just not as much as my ND was comfortable with. And my b's and cal/mag were normal with supplamentation.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will probably need something - and as much as you don't want to take supplaments, you may in fact really need them.

IrishHeart Veteran

Prickly is right.

I took a bunch too, and hated every minute of it. (18 at one point!)

But they helped resolve so many issues (severe B-12 anemia, Folate anemia, Severe D def, cal/mag Def., K def. and bad GI pain and burning from my mouth to rectum, Omegas for bone/joint pain).....

now, I hardly take anything!! A multi, a little baby D-3 pill, cal/mag, Omega 3s and probiotics.

I am getting what I need from FOOD now.

and I take NO MEDICATIONS (I was even put on thyroid meds for two years) and now, I need NOTHING.

Gut healing --works wonders!

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes Dani, just take the capsules for now. You want to add other foods to your "can have" list & not screw it up by doing yogurt --- besides, yogurt has the iodine & unless you get vanilla or plain yogurt then you get sals from the fruity yogurt. One of those balancing act things you don't need to fool with right now. The probiotic caps will enable you to add new foods to your list faster & we know you want to add foods! It's hell being patient isn't it?

BTW, I rather like the term sweet water fish. Sounds yummier than saying fresh water fish. This coming from a person who has a great dislike for eating fish, excepting shrimp & lobster, which are crustaceans anyway.

Archived