Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Have I Finally Found An Answer?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been reading these boards for several weeks now and have learned a lot of good info. Here's my story.

Until I was 12 years old, my only health problems were migraines (the kinds that were so bad I would eventually throw up or need a painkiller shot....saw spots, etc.) about four times per year and a belly that stuck out really far despite my extremely skinny body. Then, when I was 12, I had a three week long bout with strep throat before it was diagnosed and I was put on antibiotics. Ever since then, I have had CONSTANT sinus problems. Severe infections at a bare minimum of four times per year which require antibiotics (which I hate taking so often). These infections are so bad they feel like an all-out flu and completely interrupt my life. In an effort to stop these infections, my doctor suggested a tonsillectomy at age 20. At that time, I discovered I had some blod clotting issues when I could have died from my tonsillectomy because of severe and profuse bleeding three weeks after the surgery on two seperate ocassions. I also have unexplained bruises every day on various parts of my body. The tonsillectomy did not help at all, and I continued to have the sinus infections despite trying every possible treatment and alternative method to beat them. Allergy testing for outdoor and indoor allergens always comes back negative. I asked my doctor last year about food allergy and he said my symptoms didn't fit the bill so he wasn't going to test. In May, I decided I was going to take my life back and started doing extensive research. I discovered Candida and Celiac and started doing a very low yeast/low gluten diet. Guess what? I WENT LONGER THAN EVER BEFORE WITHOUT A SINUS INFECTION AND WHEN I FINALLY GOT ONE I WAS ABLE TO GET THROUGH IT WITH NO ANTIBIOTICS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!!! Although sinus problems were my main battle, here are other symptoms I have always had that point to Celiac:

- get sick often when I get less than 8 hours of sleep per night for several nights

- brother has addison's disease (linked to celiac, right?)

- EXTREME gas and constipation problems (But no diarreha or pale stools)....these have gone away completely with diet

-Dark black circles under eyes constantly

- Very thin (5'9" 120 pounds, can't gain weight easily)

- Extremely brittle nails

Sorry this is so long, I am just hopeful that maybe I have found a solution to a long-time battle. I would have no problem eliminating ANY food if I knew it would help me, that is how desperate I have become. I am now 25 years old and ready to start my life again if this is the answer. Here are some questions I have:

1. Did anyone else have extreme sinus problems as their primary symptom?

2. If I decide to get tested, how long should I go back on a gluten diet before doing so?

3. Anyone know any specifics about the relationship between addison's disease and celiac?

Thanks so much for reading this.

Ads by Google:
1.  Did anyone else have extreme sinus problems as their primary symptom? 

2.  If I decide to get tested, how long should I go back on a gluten diet before doing so? 

3.  Anyone know any specifics about the relationship between addison's disease and celiac?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the board...you will find this is a great place for info and support.

Here are some answers to the questions you had:

1. I did not have sinus problems but that can be a symptom, everyone is different with symptoms and some don't even get any

2. If you get tested you need to go back on gluten for at least 3 months and eat about equal to 3 pieces of bread a day in that time. It is important to be on gluten while testing because otherwise you will not get accurate results.

3. There have been links between addison's disease and celiac...being a celiac and not following the diet can cause pretty much anything.

Hi,

I .  Here are some questions I have:

1.  Did anyone else have extreme sinus problems as their primary symptom? 

2.  If I decide to get tested, how long should I go back on a gluten diet before doing so? 

3.  Anyone know any specifics about the relationship between addison's disease and celiac?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I used to have very severe sinus infections right before I became really sick with celiac disease and for a while afterwords. Because of the malabsorption the body isn't able to fend of bacteria or viral infections like a normal person's. I still get treated for sinus infections now and then, and have even thrown off a few without going to the dr, but they are no where near as severe as before. And autoimmune disorders "piggyback" on others, meaning if you have one (celiac disease) you very easily could have others now or develop them later. But, to make things more frustrating, the malabsorption from the celiac disease can cause other AI symptoms, when another AI isn't really present. Good Luck!