38 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

Lately I've been experiencing something new. All of a sudden I'll feel REALLY hungry...I get a little lightheaded and kinda shaky. I'll feel like I need food badly...RIGHT NOW. I could've just eaten 1/2 hour earlier but you'd think I hadn't eaten in days. I'm eating alot more now than I was before my dx when I was just eating meat, veggies and fish (candida diet). I had this feeling a few times before I went on the candida diet..back when I was still eating gluten...but it went away until now. What could be causing it? I still have malabsorption...my stools are abnormally huge.
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Danijela

Danijela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

I have enperiences the same thing. It usually happens to me right after I eat or after a period of fasting. I get this oerwhelming feeling that I need to eat right NOW!!! I get shaky and my mind gets kind of foggy. It makes sence to me that thats from malabsorbtion. A person feels hungry when they have burned off the calories or energy from their last meal. If your body is not absorbing nutrients properly that could be the reason.
DANIJELA
"HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONQUERS YOU"

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Danijela,

I just answered your topic question with pretty much the same response. He-He
Too bad we couldn't just condense the 2 topics since they are almost identical. :P

BTW....Welcome to the board! :D
Rachel

#4 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:20 AM

I had this for the first two or three months after going gluten-free. It went away, though. I've been gluten-free for 9 months now and I no longer have this problem.
It was not a fun problem-I'm glad it's gone. How long have you been gluten-free?

#5 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:39 AM

gluten-free since April and I feel the same way pretty much every day. Does not always coincide with a feeling of hunger, though.

I just keep hoping that someday this gluten-free diet is going to pay off and I will start feeling like a normal person again with no fatigue, dizziness, and bizzare stools. At least the d has stopped.

#6 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

I had this for the first two or three months after going gluten-free. It went away, though. I've been gluten-free for 9 months now and I no longer have this problem.
It was not a fun problem-I'm glad it's gone. How long have you been gluten-free?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was probably 95% gluten-free since April but only got dxd a couple weeks ago. I've swtiched all my products to gluten-free now but I've had a couple slip-ups already cuz of contamination. I'm wondering if maybe my body is starting to heal and the hunger attacks mean it wants more food/nutrients since its trying to heal? Just a guess..
Rachel

#7 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

I think part of it is physiological. Before we were diagnosed we thought about food only when it was meal time, or time to cook. Now that we have been diagnosed we spend all our time and effort thinking of food in one way or another. Checking ingredients, calling companies, worrying about going out, thinking about what we can take out etc. In other words most of our lives is all of a sudden tied up with food. It's only natural that our stomach follows our brain waves sometimes. :lol:

I find if I am out doing something I don't have to eat at all ... as soon as I come in, or sit at the computer it keeps saying feed me, feed me, I know there's ice cream in the fridge. :rolleyes:

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

I find if I am out doing something I don't have to eat at all ... as soon as I come in, or sit at the computer it keeps saying feed me, feed me, I know there's ice cream in the fridge.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...I think I'm actually the opposite in that I think about food alot LESS since getting dxd. I thought I'd had candida so I was constantly worried about "feeding" the candida or getting sick...paranoid everyday...but I never had these hunger attacks...I was eating way less also. Now I know all my food is gluten-free and I know the candida is not going to "get" me so I just stick to stuff I know is safe and I'm not too worried about food anymore. But my body is REALLY hungry.
Rachel

#9 mandigirl1

mandigirl1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

HI!!!!

I have the same symptoms that you described. Ive had celiac disease for 6 yrs. Usually I get extreme hunger after having an attack from gluten. Its a killer BM, then I feel sooooo hungry, I eat everything in site (gluten-free of course).

To feel full, I think you need to eat more protein with carbs like potato or rice. I went to a top, high priced Manhattan nutritionist, and thats what he told me. Also told me to stay away from sugar (Avoid it like the plague, he used to say). Finally, take your vitamins. I never enjoyed better health in my life until I followed a strict regime of vitamins. I felt like I had the energy of a 10 yr old (Im 32).

BTW, what is "candida"??? Never heard of it before.
Good luck, and if you have questions, ask!!! I may be able to help!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:24 PM

HI!!!!

I have the same symptoms that you described. Ive had celiac disease for 6 yrs. Usually I get extreme hunger after having an attack from gluten. Its a killer BM, then I feel sooooo hungry, I eat everything in site (gluten-free of course).

To feel full, I think you need to eat more protein with carbs like potato or rice. I went to a top, high priced Manhattan nutritionist, and thats what he told me. Also told me to stay away from sugar (Avoid it like the plague, he used to say). Finally, take your vitamins. I never enjoyed better health in my life until I followed a strict regime of vitamins. I felt like I had the energy of a 10 yr old (Im 32).

BTW, what is "candida"??? Never heard of it before.
Good luck, and if you have questions, ask!!!  I may be able to help!!
:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After I get glutened I'm NOT hungry at all for a few days. The attacks come about a week later when I start to feel a little better and my appetite is good. All of a sudden I'm starving and even though I've eaten I'll get a hunger attack. Come to think of it its usually after I've eaten something high in sugar. :blink: Why would that be? As soon as I eat something it goes away.

Candida is a yeast overgrowth in the intestines. Its a very controversial condition to say the least.

Oh yeah...what vitamins do you take? I'm not taking any right now cuz I wasnt sure if mine were making me feel worse. I'll try them one more time but if anything bad happens I'm done with them. They are a liquid gluten-free multivitamin.
Rachel

#11 mandigirl1

mandigirl1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

I get my vitamins from Freeda Vitamins in NYC. You can look them up online to order or request a catalog. I think every single vitamin they make is gluten-free.....so you should be safe. I take the Multi Vitamin, calcium, b6/12/, folic acid, and a few others. Ive never gotten sick from them.

Sugar makes you hungry. Once Ive had sugar, Im on a sugar "high" and eat and eat and eat. Its best to avoid sugar, if you can.

Just curious, if you dont mind, is candida a female condition????

#12 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

Just curious, if you dont mind, is candida a female condition????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. on the vitamins. :)

Nope....Candida can affect anyone male or female. We all have candida in our guts...its a bacteria. We also have "good bacteria" as well. If there is an upset in the balance between good/bad bacteria (numerous things can cause this) the candida will grow and can sometimes cause problems. The *extent* of damage it can cause is what is debateable and controversial.
Rachel

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:58 AM

Lately I've been experiencing something new. All of a sudden I'll feel REALLY hungry...I get a little lightheaded and kinda shaky. I'll feel like I need food badly...RIGHT NOW. I could've just eaten 1/2 hour earlier but you'd think I hadn't eaten in days.

I also feel like that sometimes, it's really annoying and I don't know for sure what causes it. For me, it happened really bad after I started the gluten-free diet and now it happens about a week or so after I've been glutened. I get so hungrey that I feel like I am going to faint if I don't eat something. It may be that food isn't absorbing proporly (due to gluten) and the body reacts by telling itself that it needs more food. But that is just a guess.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 thomas3000

thomas3000

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:13 AM

Candida is caused by chronic infection or overuse of antibiotics.

#15 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

I also feel like that sometimes, it's really annoying and I don't know for sure what causes it. For me, it happened really bad after I started the gluten-free diet and now it happens about a week or so after I've been glutened. I get so hungrey that I feel like I am going to faint if I don't eat something.  It may be that food isn't absorbing proporly (due to gluten) and the body reacts by telling itself that it needs more food. But that is just a guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup Carrie...that is *exactly* whats happening to me. Its about 1 week after getting glutened. When it happens I feel a little faint and shaky. Once when it happened I was luckily near a Whole Foods so I stopped and got some Envirokidz bars and some blueberries. I worry what will happen if I'm somewhere where there is no gluten-free food I can eat. Will I pass out? :blink: Maybe I should just carry around snack bars in case. :)
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: