Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Granite City, Cedar Rapids Iowa

5 posts in this topic

Granite City in Cedar Rapids, Iowa has a gluten-free section on their dinner menu. It's only 5 items, but since we don't go there much, it's enough of a variety for my hubby. I don't know if their other locations have a gluten-free section. It's on the dinner menu only, but hubby was able to order off the dinner menu for lunch. AND...we did not get the deer-in-the-headlights look from our server, so I hope there was a lot of training for the staff!

Ads by Google:

Same with the one here in Indianapolis - their gluten-free flat breads are delicious!! I was told they were taking them off the actual menu, but would continue to make them on request. Manager I spoke to was very nice and helpful

Their gluten free section is...interesting. In my area they only highlight gluten free options that are also in the low calorie section. There are other things on the menu that are gluten free or can be easily adapted to gluten free (steaks for example), and I'm not sure why they aren't marked as options too.

The service at both of my local GC locations (Wichita, KS) is awful, and even though the gluten free dinners are supposed to come with soup they have no idea if any of the soups are gluten free. I even overheard a waiter telling one customer that the French onion soup was vegetarian (it's full of beef broth).

I'm not sure if GC locations are franchises, and if there are different standards for hiring in different locations, but the service has been consistently bad around here. The last time we went there were so many problems with our waiter that the manager fired him right in front of us! It was insane.

Granite City in Cedar Rapids, Iowa has a gluten-free section on their dinner menu. It's only 5 items, but since we don't go there much, it's enough of a variety for my hubby. I don't know if their other locations have a gluten-free section. It's on the dinner menu only, but hubby was able to order off the dinner menu for lunch. AND...we did not get the deer-in-the-headlights look from our server, so I hope there was a lot of training for the staff!

Thanks for the info! I am from Iowa City, and we have found few places I can eat at around here, besides Godfather's Pizza and Mama's Deli in Downtown Iowa City. I would definitely be will to drive to Cedar Rapids to try something new. What sort of food do they serve?

Thanks for the info! I am from Iowa City, and we have found few places I can eat at around here, besides Godfather's Pizza and Mama's Deli in Downtown Iowa City. I would definitely be will to drive to Cedar Rapids to try something new. What sort of food do they serve?

I would call it American food. Hubby had the Simply Salmon over white rice, and then they added some seasonal fresh fruit. This particular Granite City has always had good service and if anything was wrong, the managers themselves corrected the problem. I guess it is different with franchises.

We go to Iowa City every once in a while (Coral Ridge Mall), and we eat at the Iowa River Power Company - they have excellent gluten-free options. It is pricey, though, so we do not go there often.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I haven't seen my gastroenterologist for a few years.  I was diagnosed celiac and have been gluten free for more than 5 years.  I've been having trouble again for the past 6 months or so.  I've done a full elimination diet and have come up with the culprit - eggs!   I did a search of the forum here and have found it's not uncommon for people with celiac to develop a sensitivity to eggs.     I can forego eating eating eggs but It's getting to be flu season.  I was planning on getting my flu shot today, as usual, at work.  The pre-shot questionnaire asks if I have an allergy to eggs.  As, I have never been tested, I don't know if this is really an "allergy".   I asked the nurse about it.  She said that if I do have an allergy to eggs,  it could be dangerous to get the vaccine.   So, I didn't ended up not getting the vaccine.  Anyone else in this boat.   Has anyone actually been tested for egg allergy?   Any advice as it pertains to the flu vaccine?  
    • Thanks for replying. You've been very helpful and given me some ideas of trying a few foods in small amounts. I wish I had rotated food months ago then it might not have got so bad. Thanks again and I wish you well.
    • Until my recent blood test results I've been having cinnamon and mint tea in the mornings, which seemed to have a positive effect calming the digestive system (and tastes good too!)  After the first step of diagnosis with high Iga TTg I took at look at the cinnamon sticks I make the tea with and it says "packed in a factory that may contain wheat, corn etc. etc." so that I guess would sound alarm bells for many I reckon. That said I'd imagine the way most of these herbs and spices are harvested isn't exactly gluten-free friendly yet I've seen quite a few recipes using it. How are people getting around this as I can't see any specific gluten-free certified cinnamon products out there? Really could do with my tea back P.S. I also have chamomile tea using the raw flowers which may have a similar background but seem to be less of a risk somehow?
    • If I do have to go back on gluten for a bit it'll at least be a temporary relief from the withdrawal symptoms (or at least what I hope are just withdrawal symptoms). Today's returning malady is acid reflux, something I'd thought I'd seen the back of recently. Really need that to calm down as PPIs the doctor gave before were evil medication and caused 10x more problems, possibly the worst I've ever felt whilst on those so won't be going back there! Although the scales seem to have stabilised in terms of weight loss in myself I feel like I'm wasting away at present, what with the random pulling sensations in muscles and tender head area I'm just scared for what other illnesses may be laying in wait related to the celiac genes  Think I'll head back for the ESR and CRP blood tests next week as the shoulder and temple pains are really worrying me right now, could just be the gluten intolerance but the other options are terrifying if not caught early. So much uncertainty, apart from the fact that none of this ever gets fully better (if at all)...
    • You're welcome! Good luck! And if you get nowhere there, remember, the higher you go, the nicer they get. Skip straight up to the top brass.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kkreuz