4 replies to this topic

#1 coffeetime

coffeetime

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

I have been gluten-free for a couple of years now, all of my cooking is gluten-free and I rarely go to restaurants or eat at friends. My dr. called and wanted to do blood work just to check on my thyroid and just general health. Today her nurse called to set up a follow up but she's going to be out of the office for a couple of weeks. The nurse was kind enough to email me a copy of my results. My anion gap was low at 6.4, my triglycerides were 32, overall 154 and HDL at 74, LDL was 59. I need to lose about 25 lbs, and eat pretty high fat/protein. Health wise I'm super tired, my bones in my lower legs a lot and often wake me up at night ( my VIT D was 40, so I ruled that out) and the muscles in my quads really hurts when I go up or down stairs (new and surprising since I've always walked a lot). Is it possible that my small intestine is stilled not healed to explain the low tri numbers? Does anyone know anything about the anion gap? Thanks everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nursenation2

nursenation2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Without the rest of your labs the anion gap is hard to say. It isn't a stand alone result. On occasion a low anion gap can mean you have taken a lot of a bi carb such as meds for acid reflux like maalox. It can be a part of a low albumin but you didn't mention that. Usually if it was that (too little protein either from malabsorption or malnutrition) low your anion gap would be much lower. Like a lot of the folks on this site say I would have your thyroid checked thoroughly, not just your basic test.

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

I don't think that cholesterol results would tell if you are healing or not. You could ask for a celiac panel or better yet, a repeat endoscopy to get that information.

#4 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I don't know about low tri numbers or the anion gap, but I can tell you that once a month right before my cycle I get very sore quads. Could it be a low level of some sort of hormone due to your thyroid? Now i'm not sure if "coffetime" is male or female, but either way, both genders go through a hormonal cycle. (For example, my students, even male, on seizure meds always change side effects the same one week in the month). Like I said I don't know about the tri numbers or anion gap, but just a thought related to your thyroid.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#5 coffeetime

coffeetime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. My TSH was 1.92 and the Albumin was normal. I guess I was associating the low cholesterol with low fat absorption (thus low rate of absorption of fat soluble vitamins)The only abnormal numbers were low WBC 3.4 (range 4.8-10.8) Low segmented neutrophil 44 (range 50-70) and high lymph 54 (20-40). My B12 was high at 998 (range 211-946) which is a little odd as I haven't been very consistent in remembering to take my vitamins every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: