37 replies to this topic

#1 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

I am gluten and dairy free and still passing mucus in stools and still have stomach pain...doc thinks I have ibs in addition to celiac. Does anyone else still have these problems at two months?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 krystynycole

krystynycole

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Have you tested for other intolerances?

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#3 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

I haven't. I asked my gi doc but I guess I have to go to an allergist? That doesn't seem right to me, but maybe it is?

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Two months is very early in your recovery.

Healing takes anywhere from 6 months to several years, depending on the severity of the damage.

IBS is just a collection of symptoms. Unless you have some other inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal infection, (has your doctor ruled those out?) I would say you are still healing. IMHO

In answer to your question, yes, I had continuing issues and symptoms for many months. Everyone heals at different rates.

Allergists diagnose food allergies, not food intolerances. They are two different things.

Give it time, hon.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thank you, that is what I needed to hear. I have been so anxious about all of this. It seems as though everyone has this amazing quick fix after going gluten free and while I have had some improvement, I am still very stressed. My first gi doctor scared the life out of me about celiac potentially being lymphoma and I've never really recovered from that.

#6 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

How do you test for intolerances?

#7 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I am two months gluten-free too. I noticed I had the same problems as you a few weeks ago and realized it was from greasy food. Also if you don't have a gallbladder that could make that happen too. One of my doctors also told me to eat naturally gluten-free foods too and eat every few hours to keep everything alright. It will get better. Mine is starting to subside but since I no longer have a GB it will probably still happen sometimes.
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thank you, that is what I needed to hear. I have been so anxious about all of this. It seems as though everyone has this amazing quick fix after going gluten free and while I have had some improvement, I am still very stressed. My first gi doctor scared the life out of me about celiac potentially being lymphoma and I've never really recovered from that.

Being anxious is understandable, but you can't let it take over. (believe me, I know) You are healing and it takes time.

I do not know a single celiac (and I know lots of them) who had a "quick fix". None.

Well, you do not have lymphoma, do you? Okay, then...time to let it go! Focus on today.

Hon, part of this recovery is mindset. You KNOW what this is and you know how to manage it.

The body can recover, but it needs time to repair itself. The damage didn't happen overnight and you do not heal overnight.
Sorry, but that is the way it works.

Just stick to the diet, eat healthy foods, do things you love, drink water, take probiotics and digestive enzymes before meals. Be good to yourself. Get a massage.

Stress serves no purpose, hon. Hang in there!
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Grains and starches can be really troublesome and trigger IBS problems. You could try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. A lot of people find it really helpful. http://breakingtheviciouscycle.info

#10 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

How do you test for intolerances?

I was just thinking about ruling them out personally. Like removing it from your diet and see if it helps.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#11 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

For awhile I was eating just chicken and rice...I will probably have start something similar to that again. Thank you :-)

#12 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Meggielynn, you don't get the mucous anymore?

#13 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I am four months into it and there are still challenging days, but fewer of them with each passing week. If you remain strict and steadfast, the improvements will show up. Good luck.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#14 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond...very helpful and greatly appreciated!

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Don't know if you have tried this, but digestive enzymes before a meal aid digestion and taking probiotics helps to heal the imbalance in our guts.

Just a thought! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: