This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two Months Gluten Free, Still Have Issues

sce2012

sce2012 Newbie

I am gluten and dairy free and still passing mucus in stools and still have stomach pain...doc thinks I have ibs in addition to celiac. Does anyone else still have these problems at two months?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

krystynycole Contributor

Have you tested for other intolerances?

sce2012 Newbie

I haven't. I asked my gi doc but I guess I have to go to an allergist? That doesn't seem right to me, but maybe it is?

IrishHeart Veteran

Two months is very early in your recovery.

Healing takes anywhere from 6 months to several years, depending on the severity of the damage.

IBS is just a collection of symptoms. Unless you have some other inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal infection, (has your doctor ruled those out?) I would say you are still healing. IMHO

In answer to your question, yes, I had continuing issues and symptoms for many months. Everyone heals at different rates.

Allergists diagnose food allergies, not food intolerances. They are two different things.

Give it time, hon.

sce2012 Newbie

Thank you, that is what I needed to hear. I have been so anxious about all of this. It seems as though everyone has this amazing quick fix after going gluten free and while I have had some improvement, I am still very stressed. My first gi doctor scared the life out of me about celiac potentially being lymphoma and I've never really recovered from that.

sce2012 Newbie

How do you test for intolerances?

Meggielynn13 Rookie

I am two months gluten-free too. I noticed I had the same problems as you a few weeks ago and realized it was from greasy food. Also if you don't have a gallbladder that could make that happen too. One of my doctors also told me to eat naturally gluten-free foods too and eat every few hours to keep everything alright. It will get better. Mine is starting to subside but since I no longer have a GB it will probably still happen sometimes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you, that is what I needed to hear. I have been so anxious about all of this. It seems as though everyone has this amazing quick fix after going gluten free and while I have had some improvement, I am still very stressed. My first gi doctor scared the life out of me about celiac potentially being lymphoma and I've never really recovered from that.

Being anxious is understandable, but you can't let it take over. (believe me, I know) You are healing and it takes time.

I do not know a single celiac (and I know lots of them) who had a "quick fix". None.

Well, you do not have lymphoma, do you? Okay, then...time to let it go! Focus on today.

Hon, part of this recovery is mindset. You KNOW what this is and you know how to manage it.

The body can recover, but it needs time to repair itself. The damage didn't happen overnight and you do not heal overnight.

Sorry, but that is the way it works.

Just stick to the diet, eat healthy foods, do things you love, drink water, take probiotics and digestive enzymes before meals. Be good to yourself. Get a massage.

Stress serves no purpose, hon. Hang in there!

IH

Skylark Collaborator

Grains and starches can be really troublesome and trigger IBS problems. You could try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. A lot of people find it really helpful. Open Original Shared Link

krystynycole Contributor

How do you test for intolerances?

I was just thinking about ruling them out personally. Like removing it from your diet and see if it helps.

sce2012 Newbie

For awhile I was eating just chicken and rice...I will probably have start something similar to that again. Thank you :-)

sce2012 Newbie

Meggielynn, you don't get the mucous anymore?

TeknoLen Rookie

I am four months into it and there are still challenging days, but fewer of them with each passing week. If you remain strict and steadfast, the improvements will show up. Good luck.

sce2012 Newbie

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond...very helpful and greatly appreciated!

IrishHeart Veteran

Don't know if you have tried this, but digestive enzymes before a meal aid digestion and taking probiotics helps to heal the imbalance in our guts.

Just a thought! :)

sce2012 Newbie

I am taking a probiotic, Culturelle, although it only has one strain of bacteria so I am not sure if it is the best. I looked for digestive enzymes at the grocery store yesterday and didn't see any. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I see people talk about L-glutamine, too...does it work?

IrishHeart Veteran

L-glutamine is thought to aid in mucosal repair in the gut. Some people report it helps. It won't hurt!

Digestive enzymes can be purchased over the internet, if you are having trouble finding them in the drug store. (I use Enzymedica Digest Gold, but others may have suggestions for you)

Culturelle is a good OTC probiotic. Drs. Sherwood L. Gorbach and Barry R. Goldin are two researchers who have clinically proven that the Lacobacillus GG strain was strong enough to survive the stomach acids and colonize the intestines successfully. (gosh, I sound like a spokesperson--I'm not, honest! :) ) But there are many others to choose from as well.

Meggielynn13 Rookie

Meggielynn, you don't get the mucous anymore?

Sometimes I do. Maybe once a week especially if I eat a meal out or I eat a really heavy meal. I've noticed smaller meals with rice/potatoes and fish/chicken are easier on my stomach.

sce2012 Newbie

Yes, I have been doing a lot of rice. I took the suggestion about eliminating something, and I eliminated corn. It seemed to help for a few days, but now the pain is back. This is going to make me totally batty!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Try the digestive enzymes before each meal.

Mucus in stool can be from any number of things. It can be from the Celiac, or it could be from greasy foods. If your doctor has ruled out Crohn's, diverticulitis and other inflammatory bowel disease or infections, I'd say you are still healing.

But if it persists, call your doctor.

sce2012 Newbie

I had held off on getting the enzymes b/c I was waiting the results of a fecal fat test...I figured he may write a prescription anyhow. The results still aren't in, so I guess I will go ahead and get them since the lab results are taking forever!

sce2012 Newbie

I tried the digestive enzymes last night for the first time with dinner...had terrible diarrhea this morning. Is that normal when starting on them?

IrishHeart Veteran

I tried the digestive enzymes last night for the first time with dinner...had terrible diarrhea this morning. Is that normal when starting on them?

They have no side effects and I never had D from them.

What brand are they?

More importantly, what did you eat last night?

sce2012 Newbie

The brand you mentioned - digest gold. I just ate a plain chicken breast, peas, and homemade gluten free brownies. I had been taking pamelor but stopped because I was getting dry mouth. I don't know if withdrawal from that can cause D. I am also on my period (sorry if this is tmi) which usually upsets my stomach, but today has been pretty excessive. Feeling pretty blue. I am really not sure I am getting better at all. :-(

IrishHeart Veteran

Not TMI--it explains a lot!

W/d from Pamelor (nortryptiline) can cause side effects like D

and your period can bring that on, too.

DO not stop it abruptly! You need to taper down from that drug.

Did you doctor tell you to stop this drug???

Chocolate may be too much for your system. Dairy may be too much for you right now.

I am sure you feel down hon, your body is going through a lot and you feel discouraged. Try to pamper yourself.

It will get better as you go along. Hang in there.

Archived