37 replies to this topic

#16 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

I am taking a probiotic, Culturelle, although it only has one strain of bacteria so I am not sure if it is the best. I looked for digestive enzymes at the grocery store yesterday and didn't see any. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I see people talk about L-glutamine, too...does it work?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

L-glutamine is thought to aid in mucosal repair in the gut. Some people report it helps. It won't hurt!

Digestive enzymes can be purchased over the internet, if you are having trouble finding them in the drug store. (I use Enzymedica Digest Gold, but others may have suggestions for you)

Culturelle is a good OTC probiotic. Drs. Sherwood L. Gorbach and Barry R. Goldin are two researchers who have clinically proven that the Lacobacillus GG strain was strong enough to survive the stomach acids and colonize the intestines successfully. (gosh, I sound like a spokesperson--I'm not, honest! :) ) But there are many others to choose from as well.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Meggielynn, you don't get the mucous anymore?

Sometimes I do. Maybe once a week especially if I eat a meal out or I eat a really heavy meal. I've noticed smaller meals with rice/potatoes and fish/chicken are easier on my stomach.
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#19 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yes, I have been doing a lot of rice. I took the suggestion about eliminating something, and I eliminated corn. It seemed to help for a few days, but now the pain is back. This is going to make me totally batty!!!

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Try the digestive enzymes before each meal.

Mucus in stool can be from any number of things. It can be from the Celiac, or it could be from greasy foods. If your doctor has ruled out Crohn's, diverticulitis and other inflammatory bowel disease or infections, I'd say you are still healing.

But if it persists, call your doctor.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

I had held off on getting the enzymes b/c I was waiting the results of a fecal fat test...I figured he may write a prescription anyhow. The results still aren't in, so I guess I will go ahead and get them since the lab results are taking forever!

#22 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I tried the digestive enzymes last night for the first time with dinner...had terrible diarrhea this morning. Is that normal when starting on them?

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I tried the digestive enzymes last night for the first time with dinner...had terrible diarrhea this morning. Is that normal when starting on them?

They have no side effects and I never had D from them.

What brand are they?
More importantly, what did you eat last night?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

The brand you mentioned - digest gold. I just ate a plain chicken breast, peas, and homemade gluten free brownies. I had been taking pamelor but stopped because I was getting dry mouth. I don't know if withdrawal from that can cause D. I am also on my period (sorry if this is tmi) which usually upsets my stomach, but today has been pretty excessive. Feeling pretty blue. I am really not sure I am getting better at all. :-(

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Not TMI--it explains a lot!

W/d from Pamelor (nortryptiline) can cause side effects like D
and your period can bring that on, too.

DO not stop it abruptly! You need to taper down from that drug.
Did you doctor tell you to stop this drug???

Chocolate may be too much for your system. Dairy may be too much for you right now.

I am sure you feel down hon, your body is going through a lot and you feel discouraged. Try to pamper yourself.

It will get better as you go along. Hang in there.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

He did say I could just stop it...I don't know if it was because I was on a low dose? 25 mg.
Thanks for chatting w me about this. :-)

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

If you just started it, yes, you can stop it but if you have been taking it for a while, you need to ramp down.

I really think you are just still pretty rocky right now, hon.
I never take anything to stop the D when I get it (which is rare now), I want whatever is giving me grief OUT :lol: , but if you need to take something, Pepto Bismal is okay.
Just don't freak when you see the black stool that results. It's just what happens from that stuff.

He has ruled out other bowel diseases, right?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

I guess? I had a colonoscopy in addition to the upper endoscopy. Had a ct scan...normal. Have been treated for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. He's calling it ibs but idk.

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

I guess? I had a colonoscopy in addition to the upper endoscopy. Had a ct scan...normal. Have been treated for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. He's calling it ibs but idk.

When was the SIBO treated?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 sce2012

sce2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Early to mid march

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: