6 replies to this topic

#1 crissy82

crissy82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

This is my second day gluten-free. I was wondering if there is such a thing as gluten withdrawal. Yesterday I was fine. Today I have been extrememly tired and lightheaded. And I have a slight headache. Anyone ever expierance that?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kwylee

kwylee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Withdrawal? Absolutely!! After I was cold turkey with no trace of gluten for about a week, I went through another week of exacerbated symptoms, for me that meant dizzy, foggy even worse than before, intestinal distress, etc. And every system is different, so withdrawal for some could be light or even non existent, but I always tell others to just ride it out and try to be glad that you're on the right track. Mine was pretty severe but I never gave up and it paid off in a big way.

If you don't get better within a week or two, you may want to start considering removing dairy and/or soy too, at least for the time being. Some have problems with those groups as well. I did.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#3 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Took me over 3 months to stop feeling withdrawal symptoms. Congratulations for being on the road to recovery :-)
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#4 Ne-ne3

Ne-ne3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm wondering if part of the withdrawal process includes skin rash? I have i extremely itchy bumps all over my arms and legs, and the rest of my skin is sensitive. I have been (to the best of my knowledge) totally gluten free for almost three weeks. I have also cleaned up my diet - mostly grass fed/free range meats, mostly organic fruits veggies as well. The rash started after the first week, the weather changed from colder to warm, allergy season kicked in big time this month, and I have had some significant stress as well. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? Is this a withdrawal, or maybe a die-off due to diet change? I am hesitant to go to a doctor, but I will go if it doesn't clear up soon.

Thanks for any input...

#5 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Gluten withdrawal, absolutely. Could be days, weeks, months or longer. First two months was the worst for me.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm wondering if part of the withdrawal process includes skin rash? I have i extremely itchy bumps all over my arms and legs, and the rest of my skin is sensitive. I have been (to the best of my knowledge) totally gluten free for almost three weeks. I have also cleaned up my diet - mostly grass fed/free range meats, mostly organic fruits veggies as well. The rash started after the first week, the weather changed from colder to warm, allergy season kicked in big time this month, and I have had some significant stress as well. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? Is this a withdrawal, or maybe a die-off due to diet change? I am hesitant to go to a doctor, but I will go if it doesn't clear up soon.

Thanks for any input...

Salicylates. Go low sal & see what happens. Sals can be a total skin irritant for many people --- & particularly celiacs.
Read this thread:

http://www.celiac.co...red-frustrated/

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

This is my second day gluten-free. I was wondering if there is such a thing as gluten withdrawal. Yesterday I was fine. Today I have been extrememly tired and lightheaded. And I have a slight headache. Anyone ever expierance that?

Yes! Gluten withdrawal is a real thing. Mine lasted about a month. Then I got glutened & had to go through it all over again. Brain fog, unsteady or dizzish feeling, raging hunger 24/7, fatigue, anger or short temper, headaches, you can hear your heart beating & it seems rapid & loud. Etc...

Hang in there; it will pass but you might feel pretty miserable until it does. It does get better & then you will start feeling better & better & better!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: