This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

5 Weeks At A Field Station - Need Meal Ideas!

Carebear

Carebear Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I need to spend 5 weeks at a field station and do not know what I am going to do about food! Here are the details:

1.) Access to a grocery store about once a week (phew!)

2.) Kitchen access once (maybe twice) a week, but it is not super clean. I get one shelf in a refrigerator.

3.) Shared "dorm" style living.

Other than that, I'll be super active in the field and need to bring things with me. Plus, I'll be running around so much I'll be burning tons of energy!

I am gluten, all grain, nightshade, tree nut, soy, and dairy free, and super sensitive to cross contamination. I am currently on the SCD diet and have not found any processed foods (other than Sunbutter, canned fish, and some dried fruits) that I can tolerate. I'm hoping to limit cooking since the kitchen is so cc'd, and am willing to do a lot of prep. The more variety the better, I'm still a new celiac and keep developing other intolerances!

Current ideas: homemade jerky, canned fish, dried fruit, sunbutter.

5 weeks is a long time. . . Thanks so much for all your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Enjoy Life Foods would cover the gluten-free, DF, SF and NF restrictions,

but I am not sure how to get around the SCD no-nos.

What DO you eat ??? :blink:

can you give us a list?

then, maybe we can help suggest one pot meals that you can eat over the course of a few days, that sort of thing.

You have a fridge, but is there a microwave??

Carebear Apprentice

Enjoy Life Foods would cover the gluten-free, DF, SF and NF restrictions,

but I am not sure how to get around the SCD no-nos.

What DO you eat ??? :blink:

can you give us a list?

then, maybe we can help suggest one pot meals that you can eat over the course of a few days, that sort of thing.

You have a fridge, but is there a microwave??

I don't eat any processed foods (unless you count olive oil...). I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and all unseasoned meats and fish are fine. Root vegetables are great too, so rutabagas, beets, parsnips, etc. Olives and squashes, you'd be surprised how many foods are still left even when you eliminate a ton. I recently found I am intolerant to coconut, so that's out (gar, it's a great travel staple!). Any ideas for methods of cooking in a gluten kitchen? I"m thinking about attempting to make root vegetable "chips" for carbs on the go.

Thanks for the views!

I've been gluten free 5 months, when do these new intolerances stop popping up?!

IrishHeart Veteran

I've been gluten free 5 months, when do these new intolerances stop popping up?!

Ha! that IS a good question! I keep wondering that myself. :unsure: Everyone is different, so none of us can say for sure.

The thing my doc told me that I hold onto it....they usually resolve. :) Hope he's right.

Okay, well, to avoid getting CCed in a gluten kitchen, can you take a small slow cooker with you? Also, your own pot with a cover? Some utensils and a knife? Sone containers?

Then you can make batches of stews, soups, chilis and store it in containers in the fridge/freezer and nuke it in the micro?

Get yourself some flexible cutting boards, and a micro safe soup mug?

IrishHeart Veteran

Root veggies chips are good. Lara Bars maybe?

Nuts.com makes a yummy Certified gluten-free veggies chip, if you're lazy. :) They also have dozens of certified gluten-free nuts and dried fruits in sealed packets that may be very helpful!

Are you okay with chili? I have a good turkey black bean chili recipe. Not sure how it will transport to the field :unsure: but could be something for when you are back in the kitchen.

Can you do deli meats? I am thinking of minimally processed stuff like Applegate farms.

IrishHeart Veteran

I wonder if we move your thread to the cooking section if those creative people wouldn't come up with better ideas for you than mine.

It may not be viewed as much in this section, hon.

Okay, by you if we move it there? I'll leave an arrow directing it to that new spot.

Carebear Apprentice

Thanks so much IrishHeart! You can absolutely move the topic over. I'd do it myself but I'm not sure how...

Great idea with the slow cooker! I do have a small one I should be able to bring, and I talked to the people at the station and it looks like I can get temporary use of a plug :)

I also have access to a microwave. Do I need to be careful about washing dishes in a gluten contaminated sink? I'll of course have my own sponge and gluten free dish soap...

Looking forward to seeing what other ideas people may come up with!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks so much IrishHeart! You can absolutely move the topic over. I'd do it myself but I'm not sure how...

Great idea with the slow cooker! I do have a small one I should be able to bring, and I talked to the people at the station and it looks like I can get temporary use of a plug :)

I also have access to a microwave. Do I need to be careful about washing dishes in a gluten contaminated sink? I'll of course have my own sponge and gluten free dish soap...

Looking forward to seeing what other ideas people may come up with!

I moved it. It's a trick Moderators have. We have magic wands :lol:

Sinks are not a problem, hon, as long as they are cleaned well.

Give it a good swipe with some Windex before you start.

I would bring a spray bottle of Windex with me, 2 rolls of paper towels, my own dish brush, SOS pad and dish soap.

I have a travel bag full of things to use in hotel rooms. I bring my micro cover (I bought one at Walmart)and an oven and micro safe soup bowl and mug with me when I travel, so I do not worry about what may be "in there". :lol: A few utensils and a knife, too. When I stay somewhere for an extended time, I include a flexible cutting board,(I got those at Bed, Bath and Beyond) a saute pan and a 3 quart pot.

Make yourself a "to-go" kit and then, you'll always have it handy.

Hopefully, some people will see this and give you more ideas! :)

Archived