#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

SPJ&E,
Sounds like a good plan. It does sound as if your 7 yr. old has some real issues which could well be celiac. Why don't you try just feeding him some plain pasta with no sauce --- just maybe butter on it & see what happens. That way you eliminate any sauces as sources of his digestive issues. But considering the history involved I don't have any doubt that your 7 yr. old has celiac or at the very least gluten sensitivity.
All of this can be terribly overwhelming. And doubly so when it's your children whom it's happening to. But reading your posts it's easy to tell you're doing your research. Knowledge is power. Good for you!
Please don't hesitate to ask questions any time at all. There are so many knowledgeable "veterans" on here.
Let us know what transpires. We DO care.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Yep.. definitely time for you all to get tested. You should also consider talking to any of your own siblings, if you have any. I'd wait until the kids are diagnosed (it seems so likely to be celiac!) and then give them the whole story of what your kids have been through - pictures and all.
You'd be amazed how many unusual (but what I thought for 38years was just normal for me) things have cleared up with me. Even down to my nails always being brittle. Now, nearly a year gluten and the past month or two they have become quite hard to cut. Spins me out.

#18 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have another quick question. He had the steroid on 4/20, so 3 days ago. You can still feel the bumps everywhere but they are smaller and you can't see them. Does that still go along with DH or does that sound more like a contact allergy?

I ask because we do have a cat in the house. I don't see it being that as like I said, he will clear up for an entire week at times. I can't say for 100% certain it's not that though.

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yes, steroids are an immune suppressant and are used to treat refractory Celiac Disease. Some DH responds, some doesn't.

Mine did.

However, be warned, it will probably come roaring back worse than before within a few days. Load up on ice packs and Vanicream.

It is also normal for DH to flare and recede; however, never healing completely or disappearing and reappearing within hours.

It seems to run in 2-3 week cycles. Swelling, filling, popping then drying and healing. The skin is delicate while healing, and trauma to the area can cause a resurgence for some.

Some foods can aggrivate it - like iodine and salicylates rich foods. That maybe why it is worse sometimes than better.

Unless he's truly allergic to the cat, or there's gluten in the cat food or gluten in the litter the cat shouldn't be an issue.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

His bumps have never popped. But the rash has also never gone away at all without a steroid. The only time they scab over is if he digs at them too much. Is that normal for DH too? I guess it's possible that it's never had the chance to run it's full cycle, since he was still on gluten until a few days ago.

I ask about the cat because some others (on another board) think the cat might be what he is allergic to, rather than him having celiac. I am doubtful, like I said, but I guess I can't say for certain it's not that.

#21 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

His bumps have never popped. But the rash has also never gone away at all without a steroid. The only time they scab over is if he digs at them too much. Is that normal for DH too? I guess it's possible that it's never had the chance to run it's full cycle, since he was still on gluten until a few days ago.

I ask about the cat because some others (on another board) think the cat might be what he is allergic to, rather than him having celiac. I am doubtful, like I said, but I guess I can't say for certain it's not that.

I suggest you stop wondering if it's DH and get it biopsied or try the gluten-free diet, or both. It's really the only way to know.

If the rash responds to gluten withdrawal he has a gluten rash; therefore, he has a problem with gluten.

DH or gluten rashes are known to look and act differently from week to week, person to person.

It may be the cat. It may be gluten. It may be both or neither. The only way you'll know is to go through testing and elimination.

Btw my husband, nephew, and friend are allergic to cats and they get itchy eyes, sneezing - allergy symptoms. That's what I've noticed in most people allergic to cats.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#22 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

My dad and I are also very allergic to cats – we get itchy, heavy, stinging, watery eyes, headaches and stuffed noses. No rashes or hives. :)

I am wondering if these people on the other board are knowledgable about Celiac and DH?

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#23 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

We can't test him anytime soon because of the steroid he had 3 days ago. We had already decided to try him on a gluten free diet and see if it makes any difference though. Of course, he's only been gluten free for 4 days, but it's a start.

I'm mainly just asking what's "normal" for a dh rash because I really have no idea. He is still itchy at times and we can feel the rash, even though the bumps are tiny and not easily seen (they are the same color as his skin, rather than being swollen and red). I didn't know if that was typical (or if it's just typical to be completely random) or if it sounded more like an allergy to the cat. He doesn't have the sneezy or itchy/watery eyes...I didn't even think of that. It's just this stupid rash.

#24 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

My dad and I are also very allergic to cats we get itchy, heavy, stinging, watery eyes, headaches and stuffed noses. No rashes or hives. :)

I am wondering if these people on the other board are knowledgable about Celiac and DH?

Yeah, he doesn't have any of that...just the itchy bumps everywhere. And no, I don't think this particular person knows about celiac and dh, but I don't know for certain. The cat thing was one of the first things we thought of, but I just couldn't see his rash clearing up for a week (with the steroid) and then coming back. If it were the cat, I would think the steroid would do nothing to help it.

#25 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

We can't test him anytime soon because of the steroid he had 3 days ago. We had already decided to try him on a gluten free diet and see if it makes any difference though. Of course, he's only been gluten free for 4 days, but it's a start.

I'm mainly just asking what's "normal" for a dh rash because I really have no idea. He is still itchy at times and we can feel the rash, even though the bumps are tiny and not easily seen (they are the same color as his skin, rather than being swollen and red). I didn't know if that was typical (or if it's just typical to be completely random) or if it sounded more like an allergy to the cat. He doesn't have the sneezy or itchy/watery eyes...I didn't even think of that. It's just this stupid rash.

Unfortunately there is no "normal". There's typical, which unfortunately has been taken as "only" by many doctors.

Also, unfortunately, once you go gluten-free (and if it is the source of the problem) you will not be able to reliably test him without reintroducing gluten.

I know this is incredibly difficult; however, you are going to make yourself nuts wondering. Been there, done that.

I suggest you do reading in the DH forum here on this site. You'll soon understand there are usually ancillary aggravating factors like salicylates or iodine with DH. Sals can also be a cause for a rash, on it's own, in people without a gluten problem.

It is important while you trial him to get gluten completely out of his world. Not on his skin - DH people are particularly sensitive to gluten in lotions, etc. wash everything he touches or puts in his mouth. If his bottles or cups are scarred replace them (I believe you've given him oats/cereal before?).

He may also have an issue with cows milk - it may be an issue if he has gi damage and can trigger DH. Anything that is an irritant to him can trigger DH until the antibody levels fall.

Sometimes antihistimines will help DH. They are also immune suppressants. If that rash comes raging back after the steroid wears off you may ask the ped about a low level dose until you can get it to calm down. I had a bit of luck with my rash and antihistimes, but it didnt clear the rash. It did help with general ai symptoms. The only reason i mention it is because of the risk of the rash coming back in a rage from the steroid.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#26 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I will definitely ask her about giving him about Benadryl doseage if we need it. It always comes raging back, so I expect this time to be no different.

I did check our laundry detergent and it is gluten free (Ecos F&C). I still need to check on the dish detergent (hypoallergenic, dye free Dawn for bottles & Cascade for Dishwasher stuff). We use unscented Dove (the bar) to wash him with and his lotion is off brand (Wal-Mart) unscented Eucerin. I still need to check on most of that, though we haven't actually washed or lotioned him in since going off gluten. We've just been letting him soak and play in coolish water and then getting him out.

He's been on Neocate formula (and Nutramigen before that). We have always been super careful about keeping him completely dairy free so that shouldn't be an issue thankfully. His formula does have iodine in it, but I don't know if there are any that don't?? Hopefully we won't have to go that far with it though...hopefully. I have been reading a lot on here and I think the iodine and salicylates and what not are freaking me out, lol. I mean that in a completely overwhelmed kind of way.

Perhaps this is why he's always had trouble gaining weight as well. It would answer a lot of questions. I mean overall, he is doing great...crawling, pulling up, doing everything he should and then some. He has, however, always had trouble with weight gain. He started out really well and then from about 2 weeks on, started thinning out. He is 14 lbs. now at 7.5 months. His height and head have stayed on the charts, so no issues there at least, but he is definitely a long, super skinny boy!

Hopefully we will see an improvement in him soon and we'll just go from there! Thank you again for all your help!

#27 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, he doesn't have any of that...just the itchy bumps everywhere. And no, I don't think this particular person knows about celiac and dh, but I don't know for certain. The cat thing was one of the first things we thought of, but I just couldn't see his rash clearing up for a week (with the steroid) and then coming back. If it were the cat, I would think the steroid would do nothing to help it.

Well, steroids are immuno-suppressants and allergic reactions are mediated by the immune system so in theory the steroid could "help". Actually, I have a friend who is allergic to formaldehyde and has taken prednisone to help control her rashes. She says it helps, but it doesn't always make the rash go away... and the side effects are bad for her.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#28 SPJ&E

SPJ&E

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well who the heck knows then! We can't test at this point without continuing to feed him gluten for the next month and even then it's iffy as to whether or not the test would be accurate. So I think we are doing the best we can possibly do for him. We'll just see how the gluten free trial goes, see what his doctor thinks, and go from there.

#29 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

I know. It's more than frustrating isn't it? Catch 22. Caught between a rock & a hard place.

Come on here & vent when you need to; it's perfectly understandable & we all have to sometimes.

Big hugs!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#30 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Well who the heck knows then! We can't test at this point without continuing to feed him gluten for the next month and even then it's iffy as to whether or not the test would be accurate. So I think we are doing the best we can possibly do for him. We'll just see how the gluten free trial goes, see what his doctor thinks, and go from there.

I agree.

Ironically, the best "clue" or convincing thing you can do (other than documenting a positive response to gluten-free) is to get the rest of your family tested for Celiac. If one or more of you come up positive it will be a huge red flag for his doctors.

And, as he gets older and starts solids he'll need gluten-free food, and if you start going gluten-free at home everyone will be gluten-light, and you have a higher chance of false negatives on their testing.

I advise testing the whole house ASAP. The sooner you know, the better.

I wish they wouldn't have given him the steroids....poor guy could have gotten a biopsy.

I do hope gluten is the answer for him (since you haven't found another trigger). I'm sure the rash is painful.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: