This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Study On Maize And Celiacs

T.H.

T.H. Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

Very interesting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Skylark posted this other thread a few days ago. Just FYI :)

T.H. Community Regular

Ah, thanks, missed that one!

IrishHeart Veteran

Ah, thanks, missed that one!

You bet! :) I only happen to know about it because she and I had talked about that article ---and I knew she was going to write that informative post. :lol:

It is very interesting stuff!

Di2011 Enthusiast

Wow.. this rings close to my experience with maize. My GI system and DH went crazy for a few weeks after I'd had a lot of corn & popcorn over a couple of days.

mushroom Proficient

I am totally convinced that it is the GMO corn that is the baaadd stuff. Never had any problem with corn until I got to the U.S.A. However, now I only tolerate small amounts of corn starch in baked goods.

Joe0123 Contributor

I'm not surprised that science is finding out the relationship between corn and gluten intolerance/celiac is much more troublesome than what they thought. Just from personal experience (obviously not statistically relevant lol) I used to be able to eat corn, now it's like poison to me :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
kittyluvr Newbie

I thought it was the corn doing it. I stayed away from whole kernel corn, but would use corn starch (that was dumb!) for thickening. I agree it is the dang GMO stuff that is being put out as safe to eat when it isn't.

GF Lover Rising Star

I saw my rheumatologist. The other day and he mentioned that they are finding gluten in corn. Thanks for articles. I need to get to the bottom of this. Be well

trayne91 Apprentice

I watched this video by dr. Osbourne and i swear he says no corn or rice or anything because it all has gluten in it. Ill have to rematch to confirm.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I watched this video by dr. Osbourne and i swear he says no corn or rice or anything because it all has gluten in it. Ill have to rematch to confirm.

WHOA!!

Please don't assume you can't eat any (gluten-free) grains. Yes, some people have a problem with corn, some with other grains - rice, sorghum....

But don't assume YOU do.

And some of us are better off grain free...just don't assume that's YOU.

And not all grain proteins are the type of gluten that Celiacs react to. Please be careful about what you see, read, and believe. Do your research.

I watched about half of this mess of a video. All I can advise is to disregard it. Please.

If you want to learn about Celiac Disease I suggest the University if Chicago Celiac Center website.

• 4 weeks later...
alwaysafter8 Newbie

It wasn't until I went glutenfree that I noticed I had an issue with corn too. Of course, it's in pretty much all of the prepackaged glutenfree goods! Guess it kinda forces us to eat healthy, whole foods.

Makes me wonder, though, how many other foods cross-react with gluten (& cause damage) that we don't know about yet, because there haven't been enough studies? I react to dairy, coffee, corn, potato, rice.. the more I read the more it seems it is common among celiacs, to be intolerant to more than just gluten. Food shouldn't be this difficult :(

IrishHeart Veteran

I saw my rheumatologist. The other day and he mentioned that they are finding gluten in corn. Thanks for articles. I need to get to the bottom of this. Be well

Let's clarify this so newly diagnosed people reading this thread do not become alarmed.

Corn is SAFE for celiacs to consume. There is no wheat gluten in corn.

(Corn gluten feed is a by-product from the manufacture of cornstarch and corn syrup. )

The "gluten" protein in corn is NOT harmful to celiacs.

IrishHeart Veteran

It wasn't until I went glutenfree that I noticed I had an issue with corn too. Of course, it's in pretty much all of the prepackaged glutenfree goods! Guess it kinda forces us to eat healthy, whole foods.

Makes me wonder, though, how many other foods cross-react with gluten (& cause damage) that we don't know about yet, because there haven't been enough studies? I react to dairy, coffee, corn, potato, rice.. the more I read the more it seems it is common among celiacs, to be intolerant to more than just gluten. Food shouldn't be this difficult :(

There is no evidence of Foods that "cross react" with gluten. This one study mentions maize and another, (for some lactose intolerant individuals) milk.

THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE THAT CELIACS "CROSS-REACT" WITH FOODS, CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE INTESTINES.

This "Dr. Osborne"?? is a chiropractor and a Nutritionist.

He is NOT an expert on Celiac Disease. If you want to learn more about celiac disease, go to

Open Original Shared Link

or the site Prickly Pear listed above.

Do some celiacs have additional food intolerances? yes. It is because of gut malabsorption or digestive issues or even hereditary lactose intolerance.

But is it not because of "cross reactivity".

bartfull Rising Star

I WISH the only thing that happened to me when I eat corn was digestive issues. But instead, I get FIREY psoriasis flares, unbearable insomnia, zombie-like brain fog, in short, the EXACT same symptoms I get from gluten.

Only with corn, the reaction is more severe and lasts longer. :(

IrishHeart Veteran

I WISH the only thing that happened to me when I eat corn was digestive issues. But instead, I get FIREY psoriasis flares, unbearable insomnia, zombie-like brain fog, in short, the EXACT same symptoms I get from gluten.

Only with corn, the reaction is more severe and lasts longer. :(

I know you do, hon--and I am sorry . :(

I know many people have trouble with grains and as I pointed out, many people have other food intolerances.

I have weird reactions just like you describe when I eat soybean oil.

All I am trying to point out to the newly diagnosed is that corn is safe for the majority of celiacs.

• 2 months later...
Finally-45 Contributor

Thank you VERY much for posting this. I suspect that just as doctors suggest that SOME celiacs have to avoid oats, they need to start saying, SOME celiacs have to avoid oats and/or corn. I'm sure there is more research to be done.

• 2 weeks later...
Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I'm in the need to avoid corn group.

It is a shame and a pain, but I would agree that you need to find out which are the things YOU can't eat.

I would hate people to lose foods if unnecessary. I have found out through elimination diets. I have been in denial about corn for years, gave up last week and am starting to feel human.

I still does my head in some days knowing what to eat

Let's all keep the info going

Archived