51 replies to this topic

#1 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Celiacs out there who are feeling dizzy, bloated, having seizures, constipated, or having diarrhea: you may be experiencing b complex toxicity. A lot of us celiacs are prescribed/recommended/self medicate with vitamin b supplements and assume that they're 'safe'. It's not true. A lot of these supplements have mega doses of the daily requirements of these vitamins that can be extremely dangerous if taken over a long period of time. I have been taking huge doses of b vitamins and have been having these weird symptoms for a while. the worst would have to be vitamin b6 which had caused me a lot of central nervous system problems such as convulsions. A lot of the other vitamin can cause kidney problems, sugar/protein metabolism problems and GI problems to name a few. I thought I was getting Glutened all the time, but that's really hard in my case because I don't eat grains or legumes that are cc'd. Plus, I felt like complete crap yesterday after taking my b complex supplements. Check with your doctors or if you think the b complexes may be causing your problems STOP taking them. There are b vitamins in a lot of foods. The only one that's relatively safe is b12 and you still have to be careful with commercial mega doses. I hope this helps some people.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Thank you for posting this.

I have been saying this on threads for a while, but no one wants to hear it. :) Everyone says "but they are water-soluble". :rolleyes: ...meaning they are not stored in the body. That's true, but that also means it is important to provide an adequate supply through a balanced diet.

That does not mean they are not CIRCULATING in your system.

B-complexes often cause nausea and stomach pain.

You can become toxic from too many vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements, despite what people say about "It's no problem, you are just peeing them out".

Unless you have a real deficiency, you may be doing more harm than good by mega-dosing on your own.IMHO

You should only take higher doses of vitamins if you are severely deficient and your levels should be monitored closely via blood work and under a doctor's care.

And mega-doses of Bs are not the only danger.
Too much A, E, zinc --really, too much of anything can cause problems.

Unless you have a B-12 deficiency, there is no need to take this vitamin in excess either.

Instead of helping with parasthesia, mega-doses of B6 and/or B-12 can can cause it.

The Bs work synergistically in the body. Too much of one can unbalance the others. That is why they are marketed in B-COMPLEXES.

It happened to me. It was suggested (by one doctor and a ND) that I take B6 for nerve pain, B5 for adrenal support, Biotin (B7) for hair loss and I was already taking a B complex (200 mg) on my own; then, my PC doctor told me to take Folic acid (B9) by prescription (for anemia) and high doses of sublingual B-12 (for anemia) and soon, I had INCREASED burning nerve pain (the very thing I was trying to resolve because I BURNED with neuropathy for 3 years)and I felt sick to my stomach constantly. :blink:

My new GI doctor took one look at the list of supplements I was taking, saw my recent blood work with very high B-12 and Folate levels and said "Stop taking all those things!! You're toxic!"

It took a few months to get the levels back to within normal range and all that excess burning and nausea stopped.

In the case of SELF -mega-dosing vitamins, MORE is not necessarily better.

IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Vitainims & minerals can be toxic as well as drugs. I don't believe in mega dosing anything..unless it is a life & death situation....then I may try anything!

I had a reaction to B-6 was not taking extra just what was in a multi I was taking..Small amount but my body just didn't need it so the body rebelled...I find taking the individual supplements works best for me & not multi's..This way I can control ...
As they say" everything in moderation" & that means everything...Some people think or feel a little is good but more is better!

#4 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Personally, I really HATE reading posts like this because they could actually harm someone if they actually have vitamin deficiencies and read the original post and just stop taking their supplements. Since you are not a medical professional, it may have been better to add that supplementing vitamins should be done with your doctor's knowledge and blood tests to monitor vitamin levels rather than to suggest that someone discontinue a supplement they are taking. Especially if they are taking it because they were instructed to by a doctor for an actual deficiency. Because those mega doses of b12 that you are so hard on are the only thing thing that is keeping me from becoming anemic and stops the neuropathy due to the deficiency.

#5 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

Wow! I think once the GI tract heals, one starts absorbing these vitamins from foods and you don't need the supplements. Just eating enough whole foods should be enough.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Personally, I really HATE reading posts like this because they could actually harm someone if they actually have vitamin deficiencies and read the original post and just stop taking their supplements..

Really? You really think anyone would suddenly stop taking a medically- prescribed supplement based on this thread? :blink:

No one is "being hard on B-12." Not at all-- You did not read what I said very carefully. IMHO

I had a B-12 deficiency for YEARS. Now, I do not. I am HIGH in B-12. Too high. Why? Absorption returned and I did not need it. I was toxic from continuing the dosage --and I was taking it upon the advice of a doctor!

I think we all stated pretty clearly that we were relaying :

our experiences

and that even under a doctors' supervision, this still happened

and in no way did anyone say "Stop taking all your supplements right now!"

We said: Be careful.
We suggested: Don't SELF mega-dose unnecessarily.
And the OP also said "check with your doctors".
I said: If you have a deficiency proven from blood work...etc.

No one is playing doctor.
No one should suddenly stop doing anything that has been medically prescribed.

I do not know how you interpreted anything else out of these posts. That was not my intention at all!

I'll say it again:
If you have PROVEN B-12 anemia, you should take an appropriate dosage of this vitamin as prescribed by your doctor.

And have follow up blood work done to monitor the levels.

I only suggested people do NOT mega-dose this vitamin --or any vitamin--without careful monitoring.

IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Personally, I really HATE reading posts like this because they could actually harm someone if they actually have vitamin deficiencies and read the original post and just stop taking their supplements. Since you are not a medical professional, it may have been better to add that supplementing vitamins should be done with your doctor's knowledge and blood tests to monitor vitamin levels rather than to suggest that someone discontinue a supplement they are taking. Especially if they are taking it because they were instructed to by a doctor for an actual deficiency. Because those mega doses of b12 that you are so hard on are the only thing thing that is keeping me from becoming anemic and stops the neuropathy due to the deficiency.

I never claimed to be a medical professional. I just say for those of us who are still having problems after going gluten-free for a while some supplements may be to blame. I don't disagree with the fact that some people are severely malnourished and do need very high doses of supplements, but some of us with healing guts may no need them. Depends on the individual's needs. I personally had to self prescribe b vitamins because upon being diagnosed by my first GI doctor I was given a list of foods and sent packing. No advice on how to get my health back, etc. The supplements helped at first, but then became toxic as my gut healed. That was MY personal experience and I was just putting it out there to see if anyone could relate to it.

#8 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Disclaimer: do ask your doctor before stopping any supplements prescribed by him/her. Is everyone happy now?!

However, do listen to ur body if you don't feel well and do bring it to the doctor's attention. Most doctors don't ask the amounts (milligrams) that you're taking. Nobody asked me. A lot of doctors don't care or are not educated in the dangers of vitamin overdose. Everyone is different. If you feel that the supplements help, then take them by all means.

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

I too believe in getting all your vitamins & minerals from a balanced diet & have always felt that way. In fact my mom taught us that. However, for right now, until my gut heals & I can get the benefit from my food; I need & feel much better from taking supplements. I am going to stop them as soon as it's safe to do so. I'm looking forward to that day.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Disclaimer: do ask your doctor before stopping any supplements prescribed by him/her. Is everyone happy now?!

However, do listen to ur body if you don't feel well and do bring it to the doctor's attention. Most doctors don't ask the amounts (milligrams) that you're taking. Nobody asked me. A lot of doctors don't care or are not educated in the dangers of vitamin overdose. .

It happened to me, too--and I WAS under two doctor's supervision.

I think you have been very clear about your good intentions in this thread, hon--no need to keep defending it. You said nothing wrong that I can see! FWIW :)

It's all good! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

:)

#12 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

I may just point out that the serum B12 test is not the best at identifying a B12 deficiency. Most of the ranges (in the U.S.) are too low given that many people with higher LEVELS still have the symptoms of a deficiency. So, while having testing done should be helpful... make sure it's the right kind because not all doctors are clued in on vitamins and minerals. :)

Thanks for making us aware of this.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

I too believe in getting all your vitamins & minerals from a balanced diet & have always felt that way. In fact my mom taught us that. However, for right now, until my gut heals & I can get the benefit from my food; I need & feel much better from taking supplements. I am going to stop them as soon as it's safe to do so. I'm looking forward to that day.

smart chickie! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

I may just point out that the serum B12 test is not the best at identifying a B12 deficiency. Most of the ranges (in the U.S.) are too low given that many people with higher LEVELS still have the symptoms of a deficiency.

I am not doubting your statement--or you, hon--but where did you read this?

I would like to know --for my own knowledge. Thanks.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Could It Be B12 – An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses - 2nd Edition by Sally M. Pacholok, R.N., B.S.N. Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O.

I should add: the serum b12 test ALONE is not the best.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: