This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Melting Velveeta?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

OK....I've already stated in the past that I'm not too good in the kitchen. Tonight I thought I'd try velveeta with my pasta. How do you melt the stuff? :unsure: I put it in a pot and it just clumped up and stuck to the pot...I tried the microwave and it got all dried up. :huh: What am I doing wrong? I ended up just putting the gooey clumps over my pasta...it definately wasnt distributed evenly like I'm used to. One spoonful w/ cheese clumps...the next w/out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Make sure the pasta is still really hot...don't rinse in cool water. Add a tbsp of milk and when you toss in the velveeta, make sure you've chopped it up into small to medium sized blobs. I just use a tsp to scoop it off the block. Then mix and stir for a bit. It really should melt.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Oh, I guess you're saying you tried to melt the velveeta in a pot to pour over your pasta??? You don't do it that way. Just put small to medium sized blobs over the hot pasta. That's enough to melt it.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh, I guess you're saying you tried to melt the velveeta in a pot to pour over your pasta???  You don't do it that way.  Just put small to medium sized blobs over the hot pasta.  That's enough to melt it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...I was trying to melt it first :blink:

Thanks for letting me know...I did try to melt it *on* the pasta as well but I think the clumps were just too big at that point. Now I know. :D

SueC Explorer

It melts great in a crock pot!! I do it all the time for queso dip! I haven't tried it on the stove top but if you cut the velvetta up in small squares and put them in the pot on high it works great, it will take about an hour but it is nice and creamy. For great queso just add a can of rotel (or 2 if it is a big block), and some cooked ground sausage if desired! :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks Sue,

Unfortunately I don't have a crock pot (yet). It really takes an hour? Sheeesh...that seems like a really long time for cheese to melt. :unsure:

Now I want a crockpot so I can make Queso dip!!!! :D

mytummyhurts Contributor

I make a dip with velveeta. I put a little milk in a small saucepan and then start adding in chunks of velveeta until it melts and is nice and creamy. Then I add in salsa. Or you can do it in the microwave too. The key is not too much milk or else it's runny and gross.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

musikate Apprentice

Hi, Rachel,

If you overcook any cheese, it separates into clumps with liquid. There's no saving it once it gets to that point. Cheese must be gently melted, usually with some milk added, on low heat or just on top of hot pasta.

Kate

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi, Rachel,

If you overcook any cheese, it separates into clumps with liquid.  There's no saving it once it gets to that point.  Cheese must be gently melted, usually with some milk added, on low heat or just on top of hot pasta. 

Kate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,

I think the main problem was that I didn't use any milk + I put a huge chunk in the pot rather then small pieces. Oh yeah..I probably had the heat on too high as well.

LOL...OK...I guess I pretty much did *everything* wrong as far as the velveeta goes. Next time I'll be a pro. ;)

grantschoep Contributor

Note, if you crave Mac and Cheese, especially the good kind(made with powder) ... :>

Kraft's powder cheese is gluten-free. Its alot easier than velveeta or other cheeses. My simple butt thinks it tastes better too.

grantschoep Contributor

Note, when I say Kraft's powder cheese, I mean the powder cheese from Kraft Cheese and Macaroni, the regular kind.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...I do crave that stuff. Someone said they sell it in a can at Walmart but I didn't find it. Not a big Walmart fan anyway. I was worried about contamination from a reg. box of mac & cheese since I'm real sensitive. You never had a problem I assume? It seems like it would be a waste to buy the box and then throw the pasta away.

laurelfla Enthusiast

mmmm.... rotel dip!

everyday it seems like i hear of a recipe i hadn't thought about making in a long time just because i'd assumed it was forbidden! ;)

i didn't know Velveeta was ok. i need to get my crock pot from home and bring it down here.

Guest Lucy

I make the kraft sauce and give the noodles to my mother. I also do the rotel dip with hamburger rotel and velveeta, oh, its so good. We have it as a sunday night meal. It is sooooo good.

grantschoep Contributor
Yeah...I do crave that stuff. Someone said they sell it in a can at Walmart but I didn't find it. Not a big Walmart fan anyway. I was worried about contamination from a reg. box of mac & cheese since I'm real sensitive. You never had a problem I assume? It seems like it would be a waste to buy the box and then throw the pasta away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too worried about contaimination from the noodles in the box, the packets are always nicely seeled. Actually, once or twice I have had one with a little "hole" in the pack. I just give that box to my girfiend, who isn't celiac. Oh, she also eats all the pasta noodles that I don't use, so that gets eaten too.

I've been told that some places sell the cheese in a can too, some have said its by the parmisian cheese in the grocery store. I've never seen it. I did find cheese powder, its says to use on popcorn. I was thinking of trying that once, but I didn't as it wasn't kraft and I didn't feel like "trying something new.."

grantschoep Contributor

Oh, about the velveeta, I make it in the crock pot too. To make it extra good, I usually like to buy a couple fresh habenero's cut them in half, and let the "cook" into the velveeta. Though, I made this for a picnic party one summer. I didn't get to talk to everyone about what I puy in there. There were 2 "casulties, people who thought the habenero's were peppers or something. :>

celiac3270 Collaborator

They do sell the powder in a can... it should be in the popcorn section (cause it can supposedly be used to top that, as well). I probably mentioned that wherever you read it :D

PreOptMegs Explorer

TO melt velveeta I always cube it up and add just a little bit of milk (or water) to "get it going". WOrks every time!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh, about the velveeta, I make it in the crock pot too. To make it extra good, I usually like to buy a couple fresh habenero's cut them in half, and let the "cook" into the velveeta. Though, I made this for a picnic party one summer. I didn't get to talk to everyone about what I puy in there. There were 2 "casulties, people who thought the habenero's were peppers or something. :>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...poor unsuspecting picnic people. Habenero's are a little too much for me. It sounds yummy though...I'd probably go with a jalepeno instead.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
They do sell the powder in a can... it should be in the popcorn section (cause it can supposedly be used to top that, as well).  I probably mentioned that wherever you read it :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Do they have it in all the Wal-Marts? I'll have to look again...I went down all the aisles but I was mainly focusing on the mac & cheese section.

Archived