23 replies to this topic

#1 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

I have this friend that is always I mean always in and out of the bathroom, with what she has been diagnosed with as Croons. But when my symptoms got the worst she asked me if I had been tested for Croons. I would like to talk to her about going on a gluten-free Diet herself. Mainly because along with the Croons issues, she has mood disorders, thyroid issues among others.

I would just like to get a few websites on the benefits on the gluten-free diet with Croons. I dont think she has Celiac, but on the other hand I think that she could benefit from the diet to help with the symptoms of the Croons.

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Good for you for trying to help your friend. :)

The Crohn's Forum is a good site for info. Some people with Crohn's do feel better on a gluten-free diet. Others don't report feeling any better at all. So it is not a sure thing that it will help her. It seems there is no way to tell if it will help except to try the the gluten-free diet though. There are people with Crohn's on that forum who are trying the gluten-free diet now, so she might want to join (it's free) and check with them. They are real nice people too. There is plenty of good info on gluten-free right here if she needs it also..

They also have threads on other things like psyillium husks, helpful drugs and some natural herbs etc. So if she isn't on the Crohn's forum now she is missing out on lots of info from fellow Crohnies that might help her. One of the big topics is how to get into remission and that is good stuff for her to read also. The site also ah info on the various surgery options. It is really a gret site for Crohn's info.

Crohn's forum
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Since my doctor routinely checks people with celiac disease for Crohn's (and he did for me, since it is in my family) he seems to think they are related.

Do people with Crohn's also have Celiac? Yes!
She has another AI disease already (thyroid), so she may want to ask for a Celiac test from her GI doctor.

Otherwise, whether your friend will benefit from a gluten-free diet or not--well, she can try it and see!

I see Gee Eff in Dee Cee has already referred you to the site.
You're a good friend to help her feel better!

Here are a few articles you might find interesting:

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

http://www.celiac.co...inks/Page1.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I have this friend that is always I mean always in and out of the bathroom, with what she has been diagnosed with as Croons. But when my symptoms got the worst she asked me if I had been tested for Croons. I would like to talk to her about going on a gluten-free Diet herself. Mainly because along with the Croons issues, she has mood disorders, thyroid issues among others.

I would just like to get a few websites on the benefits on the gluten-free diet with Croons. I dont think she has Celiac, but on the other hand I think that she could benefit from the diet to help with the symptoms of the Croons.

Any suggestions?

EDITED TO FIX LINK!

Your friend might look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you can read up on it at Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It is not only gluten-free, but grain-free and starch-free.

This is a diet created especially for people with Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, and other intestinal maladies. My daughter-in-law went on it after a long struggle with c. diff, and she has been thriving on it. The "legal" foods are based on their molecular structure, only simple carbohydrates are allowed. It probably compares well to the "paleo" diet that is becoming very popular.

Another similar diet is GAPS, ("gut and psychology syndrome").

There are folks here using both diets; you might find some of their posts by using the forum "search" tool and searching for "GAPS" or "SCD" or "specific carbohydrate".
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Your friend might look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you can read up on it at Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It is not only gluten-free, but grain-free and starch-free.

This link does not work. Can you try another? Thanks, Beachbirdie!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

This link does not work. Can you try another? Thanks, Beachbirdie!

OOPS! Got it fixed, sorry about that!

Thanks for pointing out the problem! :blink:
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#7 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

My sister has Crohn's. Hers won't go into remission, so she has to get IV therapy to keep her immune system knocked down. I've told her she should try gluten-free, but she won't do it. She says she can't. I think she tried for just a few days and gave up? I told her she should be tested for Celiac, but she won't do that either. :blink:

#8 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

So I talked to her, I went about it softly, she asked how the diet was going, and if my symptoms had cleared up I said for the most part. She was like so do you think its a possibility that you have Crohn's. I said I havent ruled it out but there is studies that have been done about the relation between Celiac and Crohn's. That some people with Crohn's are seeing improvement in their health by going on the diet, and that she might want to atleast talk to her doctor about going on the diet. She cant even go to her sons soccer games because there is no real bathroom for her to use. If that were me I would draw the line there and do what ever it took to clear things up. She said she would talk to her Dx and see what she thought.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I have a cousin with Crohn's and while I haven't talked with her about Celiac and gluten-free I have talked with her sister who has gallbladder disease and "other issues". I know the Crohns cousin is not gluten-free. I mentioned there's quite a bit of overlap and my cousin didn't know that.

It seems the crohns community is not very aware of the correlation.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Well, shoot, ten years ago, before I knew about celiac and gluten, my MIL's caregiver was always complaining about her Crohn's disease, and she was an inveterate pasta consumer, and I said to hubs, I thought people with Crohn's were not supposed to eat pasta???? Don't know how I heard this, but I kept thinking she is eating the wrong diet for her condition :blink: Of course, that was what I was eating too, but then, I didn't have Crohn's :ph34r: :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Well, shoot, ten years ago, before I knew about celiac and gluten, my MIL's caregiver was always complaining about her Crohn's disease, and she was an inveterate pasta consumer, and I said to hubs, I thought people with Crohn's were not supposed to eat pasta???? Don't know how I heard this, but I kept thinking she is eating the wrong diet for her condition :blink: Of course, that was what I was eating too, but then, I didn't have Crohn's :ph34r: :rolleyes:

I hear that crohns patients should be on an anti-inflammatory diet - which excludes gluten (and all grains, I think).

I don't see the correlation of Celiac very often.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

It seems to me doctors don't push gluten-free to Crohns' patients because it doesn't help all of them. They suggest a low residue diet instead, white bread? Seems daffy to me as a celiac but lots of Crohns patients are told diet has no relation. And it doesn't help them all, it is not like celiac where it is a definite known thing. In fact, celiac is the only autoimmune disease where the trigger is known, ie gluten.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

My cousin with Crohn's (and RA and thyroid disease) read the info I sent to my large family. They ALL have major gastro issues,(try finding a GB left among us! lactose intolerance, "IBS", GERD, colitis, diverticulitis, etc. ) various AI diseases (MS, diabetes, asthma, RA, Thyroid) and neuro/psych issues. My rather graphic description of my 3- year decline was sent to try and get them to see how gluten could be their problem, too? (to no avail) :rolleyes:

BTW, Do any of us think it's a coincidence that we have Celiac and the rest of our family members have Crohn's or other AI diseases?
Nope.

After reading all I wrote, she said to my Mom:

"That sounds exactly like me! I should be gluten free."

She has not done it as yet, I do not think--but her Crohn's has progressed so far that she wears a colostomy bag. She was only in her 40's when that happened. :(

I think if I were in the situation, I would at least TRY the diet and see if I felt better. What's the big deal?

Why are people so reluctant to try something that may help them feel better and stop living in the bathroom?

Hubs says: They weren't as sick as you. They have to be pushed to near death to take that step.

Maybe so.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

IrishHeart "Hubs says: They weren't as sick as you. They have to be pushed to near death to take that step."

Thats about where I am, when I was 16 I felt as though I was going to die. I had my gallbladder removed, I had acid reflux, I couldn't hold anything down, and wasn't responding to any medication what so ever. They could give me a shot of a medication then take a blood sample less than 24 hours later to test for the medication to find that I didn't have it in my system any longer. My mother was starting to talk about moving so where that I could get a precription for marijuana in the hopes it would help me eat, I had lost 60 lbs in one year. When I started getting sick again I freaked and was willing to do anything to keep from getting that bad again.

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

My cousin with Crohn's (and RA and thyroid disease) read the info I sent to my large family. They ALL have major gastro issues,(try finding a GB left among us! lactose intolerance, "IBS", GERD, colitis, diverticulitis, etc. ) various AI diseases (MS, diabetes, asthma, RA, Thyroid) and neuro/psych issues. My rather graphic description of my 3- year decline was sent to try and get them to see how gluten could be their problem, too? (to no avail) :rolleyes:

BTW, Do any of us think it's a coincidence that we have Celiac and the rest of our family members have Crohn's or other AI diseases?
Nope.

After reading all I wrote, she said to my Mom:

"That sounds exactly like me! I should be gluten free."

She has not done it as yet, I do not think--but her Crohn's has progressed so far that she wears a colostomy bag. She was only in her 40's when that happened. :(

I think if I were in the situation, I would at least TRY the diet and see if I felt better. What's the big deal?

Why are people so reluctant to try something that may help them feel better and stop living in the bathroom?

Hubs says: They weren't as sick as you. They have to be pushed to near death to take that step.

Maybe so.

DH accomplishes the same thing. Although, there were a few days I wondered how life was gonna work out, pre DH...with the belly aches, etc.

Yeah. All-over blisters make you reevaluate the importance of a baguette.

I agree. They just aren't sick enough yet (from their perspective).

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: