23 replies to this topic

#16 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

a big reason for the low residue diet is that many have such extreme swelling in the large intestine that passage of stool is difficult. That can lead to the need for surgery. If you reduce the residue,...poo..., you can buy a lot of time where hopefully you will go into remission where the swelling will reduce.

Crohns used to be thought of as an autoimmune disease, but the current research shows it to be a weakened immune system. The body tries to adapt and goes wonky. It is definitely interesting to say the least.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

a big reason for the low residue diet is that many have such extreme swelling in the large intestine that passage of stool is difficult. That can lead to the need for surgery. If you reduce the residue,...poo..., you can buy a lot of time where hopefully you will go into remission where the swelling will reduce.

Crohns used to be thought of as an autoimmune disease, but the current research shows it to be a weakened immune system. The body tries to adapt and goes wonky. It is definitely interesting to say the least.

So where does that leave someone with both crohns and Celiac? Because they say there's significant overlap.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

I think they still categorize it as an AI disease, at least the NIH and the AARDA does.

"The exact cause of Crohn's disease is unknown. It is an autoimmune disorder, which is a condition that occurs when your body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.

People with Crohn's disease have ongoing (chronic) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.

Severe inflammation and obstruction of various parts of the gastrointestinal tract due to swelling and scar formation can cause other problems like bowel perforation, abdominal distension (swelling), severe pain, and fever. This can be life-threatening.

Also, because Crohn's disease is an autoimmune disease, other parts of the body can become inflamed including the joints, eyes, mouth, and skin. In addition, gallstones, and kidney stones may also develop as a result of Crohn's disease.

Moreover, children with the disease may experience decreased growth or delayed sexual development."

Crohn's kind of walks and talks a bit like Celiac, doesn't it? :unsure:

My cousin suffered terribly from it. She was always in the hospital, having more and more of her colon removed.

In any case, if putting down the bagel helps, why not try it?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

That is the interesting thing. The current research articles say deficiency but the treatment focuses on reducing the immune response. Some researchers are focusing on immune activators while others want to reduce it. I think overall, it is still labelled an AI but in that weird stage between the two where no one is completely sure anymore.

And yes, the overlap is incredible. The differences between the two and what is happening are very similar. Crohns seems to be the body attacking bacteria, celiac hitting gluten. Ours causes issues but theirs causing destruction requiring surgery at times. Why the difference? Seems we got a bit lucky.

Oddly, nicotine helps ulcerative colitis but smoking triggers crohns. they both respond similarly to medications, so some docs are using nicotine suppositories with good success so far.

It would all be fascinating if not so devastating.

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

That is the interesting thing. The current research articles say deficiency but the treatment focuses on reducing the immune response. Some researchers are focusing on immune activators while others want to reduce it. I think overall, it is still labelled an AI but in that weird stage between the two where no one is completely sure anymore.

And yes, the overlap is incredible. The differences between the two and what is happening are very similar. Crohns seems to be the body attacking bacteria, celiac hitting gluten. Ours causes issues but theirs causing destruction requiring surgery at times. Why the difference? Seems we got a bit lucky.

Oddly, nicotine helps ulcerative colitis but smoking triggers crohns. they both respond similarly to medications, so some docs are using nicotine suppositories with good success so far.

It would all be fascinating if not so devastating.

Exactly.

The fascinating if not devastating part.

I wonder if Crohn's is sometimes "the next step" after ai (Celiac). When the body tires of attacking itself it moves on...

Because if Crohns isn't truly ai and is an under active immune system, and Celiac is ai...those people with both are both over performing and under performing at the same time???

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation says it's an autoimmune disease.

Autoimmune means a condition that occurs when your body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.

Under their section: Why Do We Need More Research?

Although we have made very significant advances

We still don't know the causes of Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
No existing medication induces remission in all patients.
We can't prevent relapses of disease.
We don't know how to prevent complications of IBD (abscesses, fistulae, obstruction and cancer)
We don't know how to predict who will develop IBD or how to prevent high-risk individuals from developing symptoms and progressive disease.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation says it's an autoimmune disease.

Autoimmune means a condition that occurs when your body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.

Under their section: Why Do We Need More Research?

Although we have made very significant advances

We still don't know the causes of Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
No existing medication induces remission in all patients.
We can't prevent relapses of disease.
We don't know how to prevent complications of IBD (abscesses, fistulae, obstruction and cancer)
We don't know how to predict who will develop IBD or how to prevent high-risk individuals from developing symptoms and progressive disease.

Oh, I know...but it's interesting to ponder isn't it?

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#23 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

My boyfriend has a really bad case of crohns and could not get his symptoms under control after a bowel resection and strong meds. He met me, went dairy and gluten free when I did (ironically I always avoided wheat in general because I didn't like it, then ate it all the time when he was the chef and I got insanely sick!). He now has no symptoms, no meds. He was never checked for celiac or lactose intolerance. I wouldn't expect the dietary changes to work for everyone, but hey, why the heck not try it out? :) Or at the very least get the blood test. Boy is he glad he met me!

#24 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

My boyfriend has a really bad case of crohns and could not get his symptoms under control after a bowel resection and strong meds. He met me, went dairy and gluten free when I did (ironically I always avoided wheat in general because I didn't like it, then ate it all the time when he was the chef and I got insanely sick!). He now has no symptoms, no meds. He was never checked for celiac or lactose intolerance. I wouldn't expect the dietary changes to work for everyone, but hey, why the heck not try it out? :) Or at the very least get the blood test. Boy is he glad he met me!

I bet he is...
I have had several conversations with her about the diet, she is interested. although she is not interested enough to try the diet. She had crohns surgery 10 years ago, and from what she says its in remission. I dont quite believe its in complete remission, she still has to run to the bathroom soon after eating, and has plenty of problems with just about anything she eats.
She is learning, and I think she might try it eventually... Maybe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: