#1 LuckyAtlas84

LuckyAtlas84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Just wondering...

I just bought two bags of pamela's flour mix. I already opened one and used for my baking and pancakes. I am wondering if it would be better if i storage both in airtight tupperware or keep it refridgetor? I jsut would hate to see it go wasted if i am not able to use it up quickly... I am not sure since i saw other posting about flour and starch storage.. but i am curious about the flour mix that is purchased at store like Pamela's..

please let me know thank you!
Still in process of searching for answers to my symptoms

Disagnosed with PCOs Dec 2010
Disagnosed with Asthma Sept 1993

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

[quote name='LuckyAtlas84' timestamp='1335021707' post='789604']
Just wondering...

I just bought two bags of pamela's flour mix. I already opened one and used for my baking and pancakes. I am wondering if it would be better if i storage both in airtight tupperware or keep it refridgetor? I jsut would hate to see it go wasted if i am not able to use it up quickly... I am not sure since i saw other posting about flour and starch storage.. but i am curious about the flour mix that is purchased at store like Pamela's..

please let me know thank you!
[/quote

Anything with Almond meal / flour should be refrigerated once opened if your not going to use it regularly.

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I just received a shipment of 6 bags of Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix yesterday (6 - 24 oz. bags). The box says it expires in March 2013 so obviously it does have quite a long shelf life (unopened at least). I only open one bag at a time and have never refrigerated it and haven't had a problem. I keep it in a covered Rubbermaid container in my pantry. Of course, if you have room for it in the fridge, that would be a good option. My fridge holds tons of flour...barely room for other food on some shelves. Posted Image

I also occasionally buy Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal and I do keep that in the fridge.

Have you used Pamela's before? There's a recipe on their website for banana bread that's really good. Lately I've been baking it as muffins...even more convenient than slicing it. Pamela's is one of my favorite products.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Have you used Pamela's before? There's a recipe on their website for banana bread that's really good. Lately I've been baking it as muffins...even more convenient than slicing it. Pamela's is one of my favorite products.

okay, lady...!!

I looked at the recipe (and hey, that's the 2nd time this week you mentioned these muffins for me to see and I think you are trying to get me to pop the zipper on my pants!) :lol:

and I wondered...

if you make the banana bread as muffins, how many do they make and how long do you bake them? Thanks, hunny!!

IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

okay, lady...!!

I looked at the recipe (and hey, that's the 2nd time this week you mentioned these muffins for me to see and I think you are trying to get me to pop the zipper on my pants!) :lol:

and I wondered...

if you make the banana bread as muffins, how many do they make and how long do you bake them? Thanks, hunny!!

IH

Hee hee....have I really mentioned them twice this week? Posted Image Must be because they are so good and that's why I can't breathe in my jeans!

I get 12 regular size muffins from the batter for the banana bread and I bake them for 20 min. (they're usually done at that point but test). I also add chopped nuts to the batter. And for anyone else who's interested, here's the link for the Banana Bread. Lots more recipes on Pamela's site, too.

Hmmm...I may have to make them tomorrow as it's been over a month since my slender 13-year old granddaughter was here and ate 4 of them for breakfast (plus a 2-egg bacon and cheese omelet) and another two later that day. Now if I had her metabolism, I wouldn't have a problem either.
Sylvia

#6 LuckyAtlas84

LuckyAtlas84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I just received a shipment of 6 bags of Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix yesterday (6 - 24 oz. bags). The box says it expires in March 2013 so obviously it does have quite a long shelf life (unopened at least). I only open one bag at a time and have never refrigerated it and haven't had a problem. I keep it in a covered Rubbermaid container in my pantry. Of course, if you have room for it in the fridge, that would be a good option. My fridge holds tons of flour...barely room for other food on some shelves. Posted Image

I also occasionally buy Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal and I do keep that in the fridge.

I just started used pamela's and I loved it already! I already made pancakes and chocolate chip cookies! I am planning on making muffins. Now you are give me a idea about making banana bread into muffins so ic an bring with me on my traveling to florida since I am working for disney as seasonal. i will need something good breakfast and snacks without worry about getting gluten free snacks and food from places taht might not carry them. However, thank you for tip! I am plan on bring some flour with me as well i am stay with my coworker so ic an use their kitchen to whip myself up pancakes if i am hungry haha.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

I just started used pamela's and I loved it already! I already made pancakes and chocolate chip cookies! I am planning on making muffins. Now you are give me a idea about making banana bread into muffins so ic an bring with me on my traveling to florida since I am working for disney as seasonal. i will need something good breakfast and snacks without worry about getting gluten free snacks and food from places taht might not carry them. However, thank you for tip! I am plan on bring some flour with me as well i am stay with my coworker so ic an use their kitchen to whip myself up pancakes if i am hungry haha.

I haven't tried the chocolate chip cookies yet. It does makes good pancakes and waffles, too. And they also freeze well. Be careful with cross-contamination using your friend's kitchen. I use a hand-held mixer for quick breads, muffins, etc. And for muffins you can use the paper baking cup liners in a muffin pan.

It's obvious I need to bake banana-nut muffins today and I just took two very ripe bananas out of the freezer (these are unpeeled) and also have some more frozen that I peeled first and put in plastic containers. I use two good size bananas per recipe and don't measure the bananas any more. And I use sugar instead of honey...just easier not to deal with sticky honey.

I don't think you're going to have a problem with the storage of your baking mix as it won't last long enough to worry about it. Posted Image
Sylvia

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Now you are give me a idea about making banana bread into muffins so ic an bring with me on my traveling to florida since I am working for disney as seasonal.

Lucky you!

From all I have heard from members, Disney is GREAT for accomodating gluten-freers! Have a blast!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Hee hee....have I really mentioned them twice this week? Posted Image Must be because they are so good and that's why I can't breathe in my jeans!

I get 12 regular size muffins from the batter for the banana bread and I bake them for 20 min. (they're usually done at that point but test). I also add chopped nuts to the batter. And for anyone else who's interested, here's the link for the Banana Bread. Lots more recipes on Pamela's site, too.

Hmmm...I may have to make them tomorrow as it's been over a month since my slender 13-year old granddaughter was here and ate 4 of them for breakfast (plus a 2-egg bacon and cheese omelet) and another two later that day. Now if I had her metabolism, I wouldn't have a problem either.

That IS quite an appetite she has! :blink:
I used to say "My metabolism must be in a coma."

Thanks for the tip--and the link. I may make them this week! :)
OINK OINK

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Plus she's tall and slender...sheesh! My son was like that too...a bottomless pit! Posted Image

Yes, OINK, OINK! I'm off to make them now.
Sylvia

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Plus she's tall and slender...sheesh! My son was like that too...a bottomless pit! Posted Image

Yes, OINK, OINK! I'm off to make them now.

If I had two bananas I could too!!....but J ate the last one...darn it! Off to the market...... ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 LuckyAtlas84

LuckyAtlas84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

. :-D. Thank both of you! I m plan on take my own small saucepan with me so i dont get cc. I m trying hard to not eat gluten. I m plan talk to my friend abt her kitchen supplies. I plan on make muffins and cookies, maybe small loaf of bread to last me for awhile.

Irishheart- How should i approach food service about gluten free meals?

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

. :-D. Thank both of you! I m plan on take my own small saucepan with me so i dont get cc. I m trying hard to not eat gluten. I m plan talk to my friend abt her kitchen supplies. I plan on make muffins and cookies, maybe small loaf of bread to last me for awhile.

Irishheart- How should i approach food service about gluten free meals?

I have heard only about visitors to Disney calling ahead and getting special food plans. They take allergies and celiac seriously.

I would call ahead and tell them you will be working there and require gluten free meals. There must be a human resources contact for you to call?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 LuckyAtlas84

LuckyAtlas84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yes, I will contact them. Thank you for tip! I will let you all know about how i get the food plans etc. just post here to remind to update you guys okay? thank you Irishheart!

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Yes, I will contact them. Thank you for tip! I will let you all know about how i get the food plans etc. just post here to remind to update you guys okay? thank you Irishheart!

Yes, please do!! Hope you have a good time!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: