2 replies to this topic

#1 x0xteenyx0x

x0xteenyx0x

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hello, I am pretty new to doing this gluten free thing (about 6 months). I am going to Cuba soon for my best friendís wedding, and I have no idea what I can and cannot eat there. I hear that because Cuba does not have much money they donít hide gluten in everywhere like we do where.

Please any help is needed, what you feel would be safe and what to stay away from. I know to stay away from the stuff like bread and pasta. Would I have to worry as much about CC as we do here ??? :huh:

The only good thing of this is I am one of the lucky ones I guess you can say that does not get sick when I eat gluten (I know on the inside its doing a lot, but I donít get sick at all).

Anyone been to Cuba with any advise would help me A LOT :D

Thank you
Find a way to smile and never let it get away

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

First of all, get yourself a restaurant information card in spanish that explains celiac, laminate it, and carry it everywhere with you, they can be found by googling. Give it to them anytime you go to eat food.

Ironically, resorts may be more difficult than paladares (private restaurants). In resorts, they will often carry western style food for their guests (so I've heard). Apparently not all do this but it is common.

Most private restaurants do cuban food sometimes mixed with international styles. This is a good thing as the large majority of cuban food tends to be naturally gluten free (if it looks gluten free, it usually is). Things like congri, ropa vieja, etc are all in this category and it is very extensive.

Things like bread, pasta, pizza, flan, some empanadas (this just depends on the type so just ask, there are wheat, corn or yuca based types) etc, may or may not be agreeable with you.

CC is only usually an issue if you have ordered something fried. Otherwise, it will be fine. Some places have friers that are gluten free (because they use corn flour or yuca flour), so you may have to get someone to ask if they use wheat flour products in their frier.

If you choose to eat in peso restaurants, or street stalls you may have to be more careful. Often these are not held up to the same standards as in the western world although I have never had a problem.

If they have to substitute something for you in a meal (as in only a part of a meal, not a whole meal) ask for plantains (chips or normal), yuca, malanga con mojo, polenta, or beans and rice (moros y cristianos).

Whatever you do, make sure you get out of the resort to try food, as the paladares are often much better than the state run restaurants in terms of quality and taste.

#3 x0xteenyx0x

x0xteenyx0x

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thank you very much !
Find a way to smile and never let it get away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: