3 replies to this topic

#1 Twoxxmom

Twoxxmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just wondering what experience people have had with allergy testing and possible further testing if wheat shows up as an allergen. I am scheduled to see an allergy doc in about a week and a half after my dermatologist has been unable to figure out what to do with me. Biopsy on lesion showed contact allergy dermatitis. Any advice? Should I be seeing a different kind of doc? The diagnosis phase seems much harder than just going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just wondering what experience people have had with allergy testing and possible further testing if wheat shows up as an allergen. I am scheduled to see an allergy doc in about a week and a half after my dermatologist has been unable to figure out what to do with me. Biopsy on lesion showed contact allergy dermatitis. Any advice? Should I be seeing a different kind of doc? The diagnosis phase seems much harder than just going gluten-free.

I think you need a new dermatologist who knows how to biopsy for DH. A biopsy ON the lesion is rarely positive; the sample needs to be taken from the skin immediately adjacent to an active lesion. You could well be allergic to wheat, too, but if you do have DH you wouldnl't be touching wheat anyway. When a biopsy is done for DH it requires a special staining technique. Just looking at the sample under a scope would not tell you anything, so if he did not specify DH then the procedure ON the lesion was worthless.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Twoxxmom

Twoxxmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

I think you need a new dermatologist who knows how to biopsy for DH. A biopsy ON the lesion is rarely positive; the sample needs to be taken from the skin immediately adjacent to an active lesion. You could well be allergic to wheat, too, but if you do have DH you wouldnl't be touching wheat anyway. When a biopsy is done for DH it requires a special staining technique. Just looking at the sample under a scope would not tell you anything, so if he did not specify DH then the procedure ON the lesion was worthless.

That's what I thought about the biopsy too. Do you think the allergy testing (with a different doctor, an allergist) will serve any purpose, or should I be seeing someone else?

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

That's what I thought about the biopsy too. Do you think the allergy testing (with a different doctor, an allergist) will serve any purpose, or should I be seeing someone else?

It depends what you are hoping to learn from the allergist. I am not sure if you have had a celiac blood panel run? If you have not, I would start with that, and a new dermatologist as mentioned who knows how to do a DH biopsy. If you have some specific reason for allergy testing, i.e., you think you are having an allergic reaction to wheat, that wouold be important to khnow. As you probably know, celiac is an autoimmune reaction, not an allergic reaction.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009