3 replies to this topic

#1 Raulny

Raulny

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

I recently had a positive blood test result and I am awaiting my biopsy results. I have spent the last month cursing my GI doctor for making me wait a month for an endoscopy. He wanted me to have a colonoscopy first then the endoscopy. Part of the problem was that I have never eaten a lot of gluten, maybe three pieces of bread a week or less, so my first blood test came back a weak positive 25 on the Gliadian AB IGA test. Then I had the colonoscopy and another blood test, this time the Gliadian AB IGA test came back a strong positive +41 but the other three tests came back negative. I ate one piece of bread a day. Anyhow, my symptoms have gotten worse everyday, at first it was bloating and a lot of gas, and then constipation interrupted by diarrhea, then diarrhea all day and at night. I have had lower body aches, congestion, dizziness, and lots of hunger, slight vomiting, stomach ach, and fatigue. These symptoms seemed worse when I had lamb or other red meats. Originally I went to my doctor because I was having constipation and sudden diarrhea attacks (running to the bathroom events).

It seems to me that I have a gluten intolerance and maybe celiac disease. In any case I pretty much have decided that I am giving up gluten. I have few questions, first I am worried that maybe I may have some other problem and second, I went today to Whole Foods and although I found gluten free foods, I had hard time finding things I liked. I am also lactose intolerant (self diagnosed) and after reading some of the posts I am wondering if I should get a milk allergy test. Another question I have is that I noticed that labeling is not consistent. Since my biopsy I have stopped eating gluten I feel slightly better. Feeling overwhelmed.
-----

Raul

Positive Blood Test 7/30/05
Endoscopy 8/31/05 Awaiting Biopsy Results

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:38 AM

Sounds like gluten is an issue for you.
I had the same problem as you at first. There was a lot of crappy tasting gluten free stuff and I was like o great I am going to have to eat this my whole life.
After a while, you will learn there are alot of good gluten free brands that are good it is just a matter of finding them. This site will definitely help you out on things to try.
Here are a few great tasting gluten free foods:
-Tinkyada pasta is loved by an overwhelming majority of people. It tastes normal
-Wellshire Farms Chicken Bites-fully breaded and taste like normal ones if you ask me
-Foods By George cinnamon english muffins
-Cybros rice rolls
-Kinnikinnick donuts/breads

Believe it or not we can also have alot of mainstream brands of food still. There is a list of brands that will list wheat,rye,barley,oats on the label or they will be safe-they do not hide anything even under otherwise questionable ingredients. This saves us a lot of time since alot of ingredients can hide gluten.

Also, the list of safe and forbidden ingredients and foods would help you. Here is the link if you do not have it. http://www.celiac.co...html?p_catid=12

Feel free to email me if you need any help... I am sure this site will give you tons of info. People on here are so supportive and knowledgable. It definitely gets easier as you go and it will become a normal way of life.

Also, a biopsy can rule celiac in but can not rule it out. The doctor could miss damage if it is sporadic or there may be no damage yet if its in beginning stages. So you may still have it even if the biopsy shows negative.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Raulny

Raulny

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thank you for all your advice. I think I was having a little breakdown. I will use all your information.

:D
-----

Raul

Positive Blood Test 7/30/05
Endoscopy 8/31/05 Awaiting Biopsy Results

#4 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

It seems to me that I have a gluten intolerance and maybe celiac disease. In any case I pretty much have decided that I am giving up gluten. I have few questions, first I am worried that maybe I may have some other problem and second, I went today to Whole Foods and although I found gluten free foods, I had hard time finding things I liked. I am also lactose intolerant (self diagnosed) and after reading some of the posts I am wondering if I should get a milk allergy test. Another question I have is that I noticed that labeling is not consistent. Since my biopsy I have stopped eating gluten I feel slightly better. Feeling overwhelmed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]
Your other food problems could be caused by celiac. Once your intestines have been damaged, it can be hard to digest other foods as well. I was severely lactose intolorent while I was sick, but not before, and not since I went gluten-free, although I still don't ingest a lot of yellow cheese and such. That's still hard on my system. I would do the gluten-free, of course lay off of lactose products until later after the healing had started; try introducing lactose products after two or three months, but just a little bit to see how it makes you feel. And of course you're overwhelmed. Welcome to a whole new way of looking at food, preparing food and constantly being on guard. But after awhile it does become second nature that you are automatically thinking gluten-free. And any time you're overwhelmed or need to vent about anything or ask any questions, no matter how silly you think it might be, that's what this forum is for.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: