Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Digestive Enzymes

8 posts in this topic

Ok so I have been really sick, my own fault, I wasn't taking it seriously. So now getting better again but I feel like I lost a lot of ground. I started on probiotics and back on nexium for a while. I had a lot of trouble with gastroparesis and took reglan for that before. I have taken it a couple times recently but would rather do digestive enzymes. I bought a sample size of the papaya enzyme kind. Is this enough? Should I use this or a different kind? Also I saw a post earlier about taking flax seed oil and safflower oil for muscle aches. Is this helpful?? I have always had problems with muscle pain lasting a long time after a workout or even muscle pain after a massage.

So back on:

Probiotics

Nexium

Vit B12

D3

Papaya Enzymes

Anything else I should consider or change? (BTW I was deficient in both b12 and D)

Thanks for your help!!! And sorry for being a nag on posting lately.

Ads by Google:

Bromelain/papaya are good, but I think you need a complete digestive enzyme formulation, with cellulase, protease, and all the other "ases" to get you over the hump. The pancreas often just takes a vacation and once it goes on a cruise it takes its sweet time in getting back on the job. :)

Try the Enzymedica line. They have a good reputation.

Ok will try a more complete one. Thanks for the advice, both of you! So how do I know that I need the complete vs something milder? Any draw backs or side effects to taking digestive eynzymes?

They say if you take too many you can have stomach upset. I think generally one per big meal is advised. I never took more than two per day with meals. Better to take them a bit before the meal.

I'd start with the complete for about 6 months then go down. You'll know if they are helping. Try taking them for a week or two and then skip a day or two. You'll probably notice more bloating, gas, burping or other issues.

For some people it's a big deal. Others not as much.

I think that 5 month gluten-free mark is a biggie. That's when weird things happen for many people. Maybe we get comfy and let our guard down, or add new foods? Anyway, watch the 5 month mark. Enzymes and probiotics may be your best friends at that point.

Digestive Gold is a good one...Magnesium will help with pain... Get tested for vitanim& mineralsto see what you are lacking.. Sometimes B-12 OTC is not enough....same with others...

Got some digest gold today. Thanks everyone for the info. Has helped so much!!