20 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I've seen info that the butyric acid and other short-chain fatty acids found in butter and ghee are anti-inflammatory. :) I don't think ghee would be included in the animal fat/inflammation link. It's just good stuff all around!

Yes, I used ghee with the understanding that it is an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY.

"Ayurveda medicine has traditionally used ghee in place of butter for its various healing benefits, according to Yoga Journal online. One benefit of incorporating ghee into the diet is its anti-inflammatory properties. Ghee is thought to naturally lubricate connective tissues in the body, which can help to improve flexibility and provide the body with essential antioxidants. This effect is especially helpful for healing, as the formula can enhance the immune system to reduce inflammation, speed the recovery of wounds and heal blisters"

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I've seen info that the butyric acid and other short-chain fatty acids found in butter and ghee are anti-inflammatory. :) I don't think ghee would be included in the animal fat/inflammation link. It's just good stuff all around!

The long-chain saturated fatty acids, especially stearic acid in grain-fed beef, are definitely an issue for inflammation.

I'll try to find the link to where I found it...but I swear you hear 20 things all different.

I turned down a share in a milk cow because I'm trying to cut dairy. I wouldn't drink the milk, but I'd sure make ghee and yogurt and butter. And ice cream and cheese...

I think grass-fed milk is better for you than even grain fed organics (at least that's what "they" say)....
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

No need to dig up links. I've read 20 things all different too. :lol: It's looking up butyric acid on Pubmed and seeing good things that convinced me ghee/butterfat is a good fat (in moderation of course). I also think there is a lot of wisdom accumulated in the 5,000 years of ayurveda and they hold ghee in very high regard for its healing properties.

I've also read the same thing you have that grass-fed > grain-fed organic > conventional as far as vitamin K2 and and omega-3 fatty acids. The tradeoff of course, is that there can be more pesticide residue in the non-organic, grass-fed milk.

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

No need to dig up links. I've read 20 things all different too. :lol: It's looking up butyric acid on Pubmed and seeing good things that convinced me ghee/butterfat is a good fat (in moderation of course). I also think there is a lot of wisdom accumulated in the 5,000 years of ayurveda and they hold ghee in very high regard for its healing properties.

I've also read the same thing you have that grass-fed > grain-fed organic > conventional as far as vitamin K2 and and omega-3 fatty acids. The tradeoff of course, is that there can be more pesticide residue in the non-organic, grass-fed milk.

Problem is I'm in AZ and grass fed is uh, not likely. I can get raw milk from a farmer (and she's babied beyond belief-one happy Jersey) and she has a pasture, etc but grass is just not here.

Sigh.

Oh well, it's good to know ghee is a "go"! Thanks!!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't know where you read that you can't test for dairy intolerances. You can. I have been tested. I am intolerant.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

There is, indeed, a lactose intolerance test.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: