19 replies to this topic

#16 Kelsmom

Kelsmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I did this too . . . chasing a lot of dead ends. In the end, I just needed to give her time. It actually took ten months before she was completely symptom free. In the meantime, everytime she had an issue, I was chasing down or eliminating something that turned out to be nothing.

It's not necessarily the food that is the issue but the fact that she's got a damaged gut trying to process it . . . just like a nasty papercut, it hurts until it heals even though you are no longer swiping your finger down an envelope (or whatever initially caused your cut.)

I would suggest that you try to keep the food as simple as possible . . . it's hard with kids wanting a treat or something "normal" so do the best you can. Eliminate anything that you know is bothering her and try it later down the road. I also recommend using a digestive enzyme (this has helped my daughter immensely) and a probriotic would also be helpful.

Thank you!!!! I, too, appreciate the paper cut analogy! A probiotic sounds like a great idea, will definitely bring it up to her doc next wednesday. ;-)
8yr old Daughter diagnosed Celiac 4/11/12
Gluten Free/Dairy Free diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Kelsmom

Kelsmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

:) You asked how long our kids have been diagnosed: 3/2012. We are a month into being 100% (as far as we know) gluten free. I agree with another poster--that it takes time to heal. I appreciate the paper cut analogy!

I found it interesting that she describes the pain as a burning warm sensation. Twin A has been requesting "ice cold water" -- maybe to cool off her stomach? I should add that she has "gastritis" or a reddish lesion on the lining of her stomach which the GI found during the endoscopy, celiac, and effectively no digestive enzymes.

Janet-which digestive enzymes worked for your daughter?

As another breakfast food option, I'm not a huge fan of just a muffin for breakfast, so I serve "must eat" ham or sausage along with a blueberry muffin found in the refrigerated section by the gluten-free baker which starts with a "U". Twin A with the belly aches LOVES them. I think they are dairy free and gluten-free, maybe even soy free-check the package!

Ok, so you are just as new to this as me with the kids...thanks for the advice on the sausage, i will look for that!

#18 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Janet-which digestive enzymes worked for your daughter?

She uses American Health Super Papaya Enzyme Plus. I get them at Whole Foods. They are a whole bunch of things -free including gluten, milk, soy, yeast . . .

Kelsmom, consider the enzymes as well. The villi provide more enzymes than just the one that breaks down lactose, although that's the one that everyone talks about.

Keep in mind that although kids heal faster (in general), it can still take a while. Like I said, my daughter had occasional symptoms, the frequency of which got farther and farther apart, for 10 months. Time for another analogy? . . . I had a very superficial cut on my foot, but because I walked on it everyday, it was constantly reopening the wound, it took forever to heal. It's not like your daughter can quit eating until she heals, so even the good food going in can slow down the healing process. That's just my opinion . . . I haven't gone out looking to see if anybody has done a study on healing rates.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#19 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Janet! I'm going to the CDF conference in LA this weekend--I'll ask about healing rates!

Kelsmom: I had emailed our GI about the tummy pain, so I thought you might gain something from reading the response...

The tummy pain can be due to a couple of things:
> > 1. Pain with eating (i.e. dinner) can be that she has to have a
> bowel movement. Is she going every day? Hard?
> > 2. Pain first thing the morning can be hunger or her gastritis
> with acid on an empty stomach. You can give a fruit flavored TUMS
> chewable (check gluten content) or some Maalox and see if it
> helps. Or just give her something to eat. She may also need to
> have a BM first thing the morning.
> > 3. If the pain is at night, try a warm bath before bed.
> >
> > Ask her to point to the pain. If it's by her belly button, it's
> likely poop. If she point more on her upper left side under her
> ribs, it's more likely stomach acid. She could also point to her
> mid-chest (i.e. heartburn) for stomach acid. This is the type of
> pain that would respond to antacids (i.e. TUMS, Maalox).

All my daughter gives me when I ask specifics is "at my belly button" and "it's achy"...
some of her complaints are about poop, but not all 6x a day!

Hope this helps a bit! Keep solving the puzzle!

#20 Kelsmom

Kelsmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm going to post this in my other topic...but would you believe my daughter broke ANOTHER (her 4th) bone on Thursday! I am definitely anxious for Wednesday 's gastro appointment to get these blood test results back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: