This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems With Cinnamon Chex Gluten Free Cereal

Kelsmom

Kelsmom Newbie

We have been on the gluten-free diet for 2 1/2 weeks now and bought the Cinnamon Chex cereal about a week ago. We were trying to figure out why my 8 year old daughter was complaining of stomach pains in the morning seeing that we were following the diet strictly. Well, yesterday she had 2 servings because now that she is beginning to feel better, her appetite is coming back. This morning she was in unbearable pain, could barely stand or bend over. I thought it over and realized she's been having a lot of the cereal lately so I checked the ingredients and it does say its made with Canola oil. Our dietician did say not to give her anything with Canola oil, only vegetable. I researched this online and she is not the only person to have this problem. Anyone else experience this with their child?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

krystynycole Contributor

I eat cinnamon chex all the time with no issues....though I don't have issues with canola oil.

kareng Grand Master

Some people can't tolerate canola, some can't tolerate soy, etc. it's separate from Celiac. Is she having cows milk with this cereal? Because Celiac damages the part of the intestine that digests milk, it can be hard to take. The cinnamon could be irritating. It could be lots of things. Sometimes it's hard to know.

Lisa Mentor

Maybe you can try some almond milk...it might not the cereal, but the cows milk.

When I first went gluten free, I initially felt better and then I started with issues again, shortly after.

I stopped dairy for about a month and then reintroduced it, without issue.

It's a common theme around here. ;)

I must add, that I really admired moms and dads with children with Celiac. You all deserve medals. :)

mamaupupup Contributor

Hi there,

I have two kiddos with Celiac -- but the Canola Oil issue is mine. I am highly sensitive to Canola Oil. If I have any flavor of Chex I run for the bathroom. I let my kids have it, but I try to keep Canola Oil out of the house. I often put processed foods back on the shelf if Canola Oil is an ingredient. Also, if I go to a restaurant and eat anything fried in Canola Oil it takes about 30 minutes for my system to say run for the toilet.

My Mom has the same issue, so perhaps this has some genetic link.

I have disagreed with allergists (who believe there is no such thing as an allergy to an oil). I am very confident that my body reacts violently to Canola Oil. I carry Epi pens with me because I also can get tingling around my lips and feel my throat tighten.

Note that I'm in the process of testing for Celiac myself, so I don't have feedback to give you on a linkage.

In terms of kiddos and going gluten free, I have twin girls who pretty much eat the same thing every day. Both have Celiac. One complains of stomach pain between 1 and 6 times a day while our other twin has no stomach pain complaints. We are considering going not just lactose free, but also dairy free.

It's a big puzzle! Hang in there! Hope your little girl feels better soon!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

There are many possibilities, some mentioned above. Another one is that different celiacs respond to different levels of cc. Some are able to eat anything as long as it doesn't contain gluten ingredients. Some only are able to eat certified gluten free foods to below 20 ppm. Some certified to below 5 ppm. Some only foods made in gluten free facilities, and others avoid processed foods entirely.

It takes awhile to figure it all out. Be patient. Personally, I did better with the plain rice chex than the cinnamon chex. I eventually cut that out too as I am one of those who avoids processed foods.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Another option might be Envirokids cereals. Just checked my box of Gorilla Munch in the kitchen and there is no canola oil, not sure about the other flavors.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kelsmom Newbie

Thank you everyone for all of your great input!! I forgot to mention my daughter is already dairy free and has been about a month before they diagnosed her with Celiac. I have given her almond milk and it does seem heavy on her stomach so we are trying soy. She slept all night last night and had no problems this morning with the exception of a little stomach pain this morning...but she went to school with no complaint!!! A big improvement from the last couple of days with her eating the cereal. I do have the Envirokids cereals and will be sticking strictly to them. Even though we are new to this whole experience I am beginning to learn very quickly. My husband made pancakes from the Bisquick gluten free mix with almond milk. The texture was great, (had to add a little water to thin the batter out a touch) but bottom line, it was another food our daughter was willing to eat! We tried storing it 2 ways to see if she would like eating them = refrigeration & frozen. 2 days in the refrigerator, just fine but wouldn't go further than that. The freezer was great! We were so happy about this because now we can make a whole batch up!

I know this may sound strange and help me out if any of you have had the same experience, but so far, my daughter's own personal experience in reaction to the "gluten free" foods that are sold in local grocery chains are the ones that have given her issues, i.e., Cinnamon Chex, gluten free cereal, gluten free turkey lunchmeat, duncan hines gluten free chocolate frosting. All of the items I have purchased through the dietary/whole foods shops she has had a positive experience. Why in the heck is this!

Thank you again everyone...you really are a big help!!!!

Kelsmom Newbie

Another option might be Envirokids cereals. Just checked my box of Gorilla Munch in the kitchen and there is no canola oil, not sure about the other flavors.

Thank you! She loves the Leapin' Lemur cereal too!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thank you everyone for all of your great input!! I forgot to mention my daughter is already dairy free and has been about a month before they diagnosed her with Celiac. I have given her almond milk and it does seem heavy on her stomach so we are trying soy. She slept all night last night and had no problems this morning with the exception of a little stomach pain this morning...but she went to school with no complaint!!! A big improvement from the last couple of days with her eating the cereal. I do have the Envirokids cereals and will be sticking strictly to them. Even though we are new to this whole experience I am beginning to learn very quickly. My husband made pancakes from the Bisquick gluten free mix with almond milk. The texture was great, (had to add a little water to thin the batter out a touch) but bottom line, it was another food our daughter was willing to eat! We tried storing it 2 ways to see if she would like eating them = refrigeration & frozen. 2 days in the refrigerator, just fine but wouldn't go further than that. The freezer was great! We were so happy about this because now we can make a whole batch up!

I know this may sound strange and help me out if any of you have had the same experience, but so far, my daughter's own personal experience in reaction to the "gluten free" foods that are sold in local grocery chains are the ones that have given her issues, i.e., Cinnamon Chex, gluten free cereal, gluten free turkey lunchmeat, duncan hines gluten free chocolate frosting. All of the items I have purchased through the dietary/whole foods shops she has had a positive experience. Why in the heck is this!

Thank you again everyone...you really are a big help!!!!

Some people will say its gluten in those foods. Personally, I vote for the level of "processedness" and preservatives.

Many people have problems with processed gluten-free foods, especially in the beginning. My guess, at this point, is that the health-food-store stuff contains less volume of or less offensive " junk".

Kelsmom Newbie

Hi there,

I have two kiddos with Celiac -- but the Canola Oil issue is mine. I am highly sensitive to Canola Oil. If I have any flavor of Chex I run for the bathroom. I let my kids have it, but I try to keep Canola Oil out of the house. I often put processed foods back on the shelf if Canola Oil is an ingredient. Also, if I go to a restaurant and eat anything fried in Canola Oil it takes about 30 minutes for my system to say run for the toilet.

My Mom has the same issue, so perhaps this has some genetic link.

I have disagreed with allergists (who believe there is no such thing as an allergy to an oil). I am very confident that my body reacts violently to Canola Oil. I carry Epi pens with me because I also can get tingling around my lips and feel my throat tighten.

Note that I'm in the process of testing for Celiac myself, so I don't have feedback to give you on a linkage.

In terms of kiddos and going gluten free, I have twin girls who pretty much eat the same thing every day. Both have Celiac. One complains of stomach pain between 1 and 6 times a day while our other twin has no stomach pain complaints. We are considering going not just lactose free, but also dairy free.

It's a big puzzle! Hang in there! Hope your little girl feels better soon!

You're right! It is a big puzzle!!! It's like we get one step ahead, she eats something that sets her off then she's two steps back ;-( Mine is with yours...the 1-6 times a day complaints...she has been dairy free for almost 2 months now, so I know it's not dairy. I have been doing other research and wondering if there is something else going on with her. She had her Endoscopy on 4/5/12 and her villit we "split & flat". Next Wednesday is her 3 week checkup, I am anxious to talk to the doctor because she also complains of a burning/warm feeling in her stomach. It's not everyday, but when it happens, it's usually when she did eat something with gluten and we didn't realize it. How long have your daughters been Celiac for?

Kelsmom Newbie

Some people can't tolerate canola, some can't tolerate soy, etc. it's separate from Celiac. Is she having cows milk with this cereal? Because Celiac damages the part of the intestine that digests milk, it can be hard to take. The cinnamon could be irritating. It could be lots of things. Sometimes it's hard to know.

She is on a dairy free diet, so it's not the Cow's milk...the best thing to do is to just stop the cereal. What a guessing game this all is ;-(....thank you!

Kelsmom Newbie

Maybe you can try some almond milk...it might not the cereal, but the cows milk.

When I first went gluten free, I initially felt better and then I started with issues again, shortly after.

I stopped dairy for about a month and then reintroduced it, without issue.

It's a common theme around here. ;)

I must add, that I really admired moms and dads with children with Celiac. You all deserve medals. :)

She's been dairy free for a while now...so it's not the milk. Little by little , we'll figure this out! Have a great day :-)

Darn210 Enthusiast

I have been doing other research and wondering if there is something else going on with her.

I did this too . . . chasing a lot of dead ends. In the end, I just needed to give her time. It actually took ten months before she was completely symptom free. In the meantime, everytime she had an issue, I was chasing down or eliminating something that turned out to be nothing.

It's not necessarily the food that is the issue but the fact that she's got a damaged gut trying to process it . . . just like a nasty papercut, it hurts until it heals even though you are no longer swiping your finger down an envelope (or whatever initially caused your cut.)

I would suggest that you try to keep the food as simple as possible . . . it's hard with kids wanting a treat or something "normal" so do the best you can. Eliminate anything that you know is bothering her and try it later down the road. I also recommend using a digestive enzyme (this has helped my daughter immensely) and a probriotic would also be helpful.

mamaupupup Contributor

:) You asked how long our kids have been diagnosed: 3/2012. We are a month into being 100% (as far as we know) gluten free. I agree with another poster--that it takes time to heal. I appreciate the paper cut analogy!

I found it interesting that she describes the pain as a burning warm sensation. Twin A has been requesting "ice cold water" -- maybe to cool off her stomach? I should add that she has "gastritis" or a reddish lesion on the lining of her stomach which the GI found during the endoscopy, celiac, and effectively no digestive enzymes.

Janet-which digestive enzymes worked for your daughter?

As another breakfast food option, I'm not a huge fan of just a muffin for breakfast, so I serve "must eat" ham or sausage along with a blueberry muffin found in the refrigerated section by the gluten-free baker which starts with a "U". Twin A with the belly aches LOVES them. I think they are dairy free and gluten-free, maybe even soy free-check the package!

Kelsmom Newbie

I did this too . . . chasing a lot of dead ends. In the end, I just needed to give her time. It actually took ten months before she was completely symptom free. In the meantime, everytime she had an issue, I was chasing down or eliminating something that turned out to be nothing.

It's not necessarily the food that is the issue but the fact that she's got a damaged gut trying to process it . . . just like a nasty papercut, it hurts until it heals even though you are no longer swiping your finger down an envelope (or whatever initially caused your cut.)

I would suggest that you try to keep the food as simple as possible . . . it's hard with kids wanting a treat or something "normal" so do the best you can. Eliminate anything that you know is bothering her and try it later down the road. I also recommend using a digestive enzyme (this has helped my daughter immensely) and a probriotic would also be helpful.

Thank you!!!! I, too, appreciate the paper cut analogy! A probiotic sounds like a great idea, will definitely bring it up to her doc next wednesday. ;-)

Kelsmom Newbie

:) You asked how long our kids have been diagnosed: 3/2012. We are a month into being 100% (as far as we know) gluten free. I agree with another poster--that it takes time to heal. I appreciate the paper cut analogy!

I found it interesting that she describes the pain as a burning warm sensation. Twin A has been requesting "ice cold water" -- maybe to cool off her stomach? I should add that she has "gastritis" or a reddish lesion on the lining of her stomach which the GI found during the endoscopy, celiac, and effectively no digestive enzymes.

As another breakfast food option, I'm not a huge fan of just a muffin for breakfast, so I serve "must eat" ham or sausage along with a blueberry muffin found in the refrigerated section by the gluten-free baker which starts with a "U". Twin A with the belly aches LOVES them. I think they are dairy free and gluten-free, maybe even soy free-check the package!

Ok, so you are just as new to this as me with the kids...thanks for the advice on the sausage, i will look for that!

Darn210 Enthusiast

She uses American Health Super Papaya Enzyme Plus. I get them at Whole Foods. They are a whole bunch of things -free including gluten, milk, soy, yeast . . .

Kelsmom, consider the enzymes as well. The villi provide more enzymes than just the one that breaks down lactose, although that's the one that everyone talks about.

Keep in mind that although kids heal faster (in general), it can still take a while. Like I said, my daughter had occasional symptoms, the frequency of which got farther and farther apart, for 10 months. Time for another analogy? . . . I had a very superficial cut on my foot, but because I walked on it everyday, it was constantly reopening the wound, it took forever to heal. It's not like your daughter can quit eating until she heals, so even the good food going in can slow down the healing process. That's just my opinion . . . I haven't gone out looking to see if anybody has done a study on healing rates.

mamaupupup Contributor

Thanks Janet! I'm going to the CDF conference in LA this weekend--I'll ask about healing rates!

Kelsmom: I had emailed our GI about the tummy pain, so I thought you might gain something from reading the response...

The tummy pain can be due to a couple of things:

> > 1. Pain with eating (i.e. dinner) can be that she has to have a

> bowel movement. Is she going every day? Hard?

> > 2. Pain first thing the morning can be hunger or her gastritis

> with acid on an empty stomach. You can give a fruit flavored TUMS

> chewable (check gluten content) or some Maalox and see if it

> helps. Or just give her something to eat. She may also need to

> have a BM first thing the morning.

> > 3. If the pain is at night, try a warm bath before bed.

> >

> > Ask her to point to the pain. If it's by her belly button, it's

> likely poop. If she point more on her upper left side under her

> ribs, it's more likely stomach acid. She could also point to her

> mid-chest (i.e. heartburn) for stomach acid. This is the type of

> pain that would respond to antacids (i.e. TUMS, Maalox).

All my daughter gives me when I ask specifics is "at my belly button" and "it's achy"...

some of her complaints are about poop, but not all 6x a day!

Hope this helps a bit! Keep solving the puzzle!

Kelsmom Newbie

I'm going to post this in my other topic...but would you believe my daughter broke ANOTHER (her 4th) bone on Thursday! I am definitely anxious for Wednesday 's gastro appointment to get these blood test results back.

Archived