This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Okra

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

Does anyone have good recipes for Okra? It's funny, I buy this veggie every now and then when it looks perfect. But I haven't found a recipe that I love it in yet. Had to ask the experts...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I have only used it in Gumbo recipes. Here are a few:

Open Original Shared Link

Fried would be good too, but I'm not big on that. It's not worth the mess, IMHO. B)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Either cook the heck out of it or barely cook it.

I like to simmer it with a bit of onion, bell pepper and celery (1/4c each) and equal parts tomato. Maybe 30 minutes or till it all blends? Serve over rice.

bartfull Rising Star

I like to wrap it around a brick and bake it at a low temp (about 250) for five hours or until the brick is soft. Then I unwrap it, throw the okra away, and eat the brick. :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. (I HATE okra. Can you tell?)

I like to wrap it around a brick and bake it at a low temp (about 250) for five hours or until the brick is soft. Then I unwrap it, throw the okra away, and eat the brick. :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. (I HATE okra. Can you tell?)

You got me! :)

Lisa Mentor

You got me! :)

I fell for it too! :lol: I think you either love Okra or hate it, kinda thing. I would never eat it until I moved south 32 years ago.

Along with those foods... fried shad or herring roe, fried livers and fried okra. Non of which I have had in a long time.

Love the responses! I have used it for gumbos, thanks for the links. I've searched for recipes too, and have mixed it with sauteed onions, tomato over rice, I was just wondering why I am craving that vegetable but can't seem to find a palatable way to prepare it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Try this,

Open Original Shared Link

Get on Pinterest! Lots of ideas. Pm me if you need an invite.

Pauliewog Contributor

LOVE okra! It is actually my favorite green vegetable. I usually just chop it up and sautee it a few minutes in sesame oil and eat it with my eggs in the morning!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

If you want fried here is a pretty classic recipe: Open Original Shared Link

You can use an all flour mixture too in this recipe. Some people in the south use all cornmeal - just depends on your preference. Rice flour is sometimes a litle gritty so it kind of has a bit of a cornmeal texture. I usually add an egg to the buttermilk because the gluten-free flour sticks to the okra a little more when cooking.

If you want fried here is a pretty classic recipe: Open Original Shared Link

You can use an all flour mixture too in this recipe. Some people in the south use all cornmeal - just depends on your preference. Rice flour is sometimes a litle gritty so it kind of has a bit of a cornmeal texture. I usually add an egg to the buttermilk because the gluten-free flour sticks to the okra a little more when cooking.

Yum. Please come make it for me??

I planted okra one summer. I had trees. It was fabulous!!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Yum. Please come make it for me??

Actually you want my mother to do that for you - she makes awesome gluten-free fried okra! I grew it when I was in the south but don't think it will grow where I live now. I can't even really find it in the stores :(

Lisa Mentor

Actually you want my mother to do that for you - she makes awesome gluten-free fried okra! I grew it when I was in the south but don't think it will grow where I live now. I can't even really find it in the stores :(

Janet, send mom's recipe, for those of us who can buy or grow it! Pretty please?! :)

Thanks again for your links and responses.

I'm actually pretty excited about Prickly's earlier post, the one with the link to make pickled okra and leads to other recipes. I love pickles and crispness and I think that's my answer.

I'd love to try the fried okra recipe, but so far fried foods aren't good on my gut, but I'd be on that like white on rice if I could handle it.

I'll try the brick recipe if the pickles don's work. Thanks, cyber friends, I knew you'd come to the rescue. xxx :D

Archived