8 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

My daughter turns 10 Friday, and she wants these gluten-free cupcakes in a recipe book for her class birthday party. That is no problem, but for a birthday cake later that night, she also asked if I could do the cherry recipe. I am not an improv baker, and as expensive as the flours are I don't want to mess up! So what do you think - would this cupcake recipe work for a cake too?

Flour Blend (and if you don't have this- it is SO good for any flour substitute):
1 C. white or brown rice flour
1 C. sorghum flour
1 C tapioca flour
1 C cornstarch
1 C almond or coconut flour

Cupcakes:
1 jar cherries
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 C vegtable oil
1/2 cup soymilk (or other milk)
1 tsp vanilla

mix bake 20 min at 350 degrees

What do you think? Would I use this for a cake recipe too? I wonder what temperature I'd cook it at for how long - 350 for 25 is what another cake recipe says - but that is for chocolate.

And this is from "Recipes for Gluten Free Kids" that a friend got us from Sams. I LOVE this cookbook.

Thank you!

I LOVE this site!

Bobbie Jo
44 yrs old, Wife, Mom

gluten-free since July 2010
Kids gluten-free since Sept. 2010 and doing remarkably great
More info in my profile

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

You forgot to mention how much flour :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I baked my Gluten Free German Chocolate cake at 350 degree for 35 minutes I set the timer for 25 then added 5 minutes to the timer until I got a clean toothpick. For the icing to give it more of a cherry taste I would go with a white icing with more cherries and juice in it, it turns a light pink but with a little food coloring you can take it to a red or almost any other color. Good luck!

#4 jeannieknits

jeannieknits

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

it's hard to tell how much cake batter this is going to make, etc...and therefore what pan size you would use, which would effect the baking time. Does it make 12 or 24 cupcakes? usually a 24 cupcake recipe will yield 2 8"-9" layers. those I would bake for 25-30 min. at 350. but I would also be "toothpick" checking at the 25 min mark. The worst thing to do to gluten-free cakes is over bake. They will also continue to bake a wee bit in the pan after you take them out.

I have a really delicious, fail proof chocolate cake recipe that only uses 2 rice flours if you'd like the recipe.

good luck!

jeannie

My daughter turns 10 Friday, and she wants these gluten-free cupcakes in a recipe book for her class birthday party. That is no problem, but for a birthday cake later that night, she also asked if I could do the cherry recipe. I am not an improv baker, and as expensive as the flours are I don't want to mess up! So what do you think - would this cupcake recipe work for a cake too?

Flour Blend (and if you don't have this- it is SO good for any flour substitute):
1 C. white or brown rice flour
1 C. sorghum flour
1 C tapioca flour
1 C cornstarch
1 C almond or coconut flour

Cupcakes:
1 jar cherries
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 C vegtable oil
1/2 cup soymilk (or other milk)
1 tsp vanilla

mix bake 20 min at 350 degrees

What do you think? Would I use this for a cake recipe too? I wonder what temperature I'd cook it at for how long - 350 for 25 is what another cake recipe says - but that is for chocolate.

And this is from "Recipes for Gluten Free Kids" that a friend got us from Sams. I LOVE this cookbook.

Thank you!

I LOVE this site!

celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosed in July of 2010
hemochromatosis (genetic iron storage disorder) diagnosed at the same time. The two diseases have been linked in studies.

also have atrial fibrillation, and poor weight gain.
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4/2011.

gluten free since july 2010.
investigating other food sensitivities daily!

#5 Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

You forgot to mention how much flour :)

Oops - sorry. It is 1-1/4 cup of the flour mix

Bobbie Jo
44 yrs old, Wife, Mom

More info in my profile

#6 Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

it's hard to tell how much cake batter this is going to make, etc...and therefore what pan size you would use, which would effect the baking time. Does it make 12 or 24 cupcakes? usually a 24 cupcake recipe will yield 2 8"-9" layers. those I would bake for 25-30 min. at 350. but I would also be "toothpick" checking at the 25 min mark. The worst thing to do to gluten-free cakes is over bake. They will also continue to bake a wee bit in the pan after you take them out.

I have a really delicious, fail proof chocolate cake recipe that only uses 2 rice flours if you'd like the recipe.

good luck!

jeannie

Thanks Jeannie - You helped me realize that I should double the recipe for a cake, because this is only for 12 cupcakes. So thank you! I'd love your choc cake recipe when you have time to write it down. - Bobbie

Bobbie Jo
44 yrs old, Wife, Mom

More info in my profile

#7 Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

I baked my Gluten Free German Chocolate cake at 350 degree for 35 minutes I set the timer for 25 then added 5 minutes to the timer until I got a clean toothpick. For the icing to give it more of a cherry taste I would go with a white icing with more cherries and juice in it, it turns a light pink but with a little food coloring you can take it to a red or almost any other color. Good luck!

Great idea on the icing! It will make it a nice pink - perfect for a group of 10 year old girls.

Bobbie Jo
44 yrs old, Wife, Mom

More info in my profile

#8 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have no idea on what to tell you about your cherry cake. I still am just buying Betty Crocker mixes since our diagnosis in December. LOL But, I have one turning 9 on Saturday. My MIL is making a gluten free strawberry cake with cream cheese icing. The funny thing is that my daughter asked for half lime green icing and half pink. So we are having a green and pink strawberry cake! Who says gluten free can't be interesting.
Note: If you ever do just buy the gluten free cake mixes, if you will empty a pack of instant pudding into it (not made) it makes them so yummy! It makes them "heavy" too. Sometimes I can eat a cupcake and still want another one or two or three. These are very heavy and filling! I can stretch them out longer.
Happy 10th B-day to your daughter!

#9 Bobbie Jo

Bobbie Jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have no idea on what to tell you about your cherry cake. I still am just buying Betty Crocker mixes since our diagnosis in December. LOL But, I have one turning 9 on Saturday. My MIL is making a gluten free strawberry cake with cream cheese icing. The funny thing is that my daughter asked for half lime green icing and half pink. So we are having a green and pink strawberry cake! Who says gluten free can't be interesting.
Note: If you ever do just buy the gluten free cake mixes, if you will empty a pack of instant pudding into it (not made) it makes them so yummy! It makes them "heavy" too. Sometimes I can eat a cupcake and still want another one or two or three. These are very heavy and filling! I can stretch them out longer.
Happy 10th B-day to your daughter!

Great pudding tip! Thanks!
And yes - we love betty crocker. I've relied on her cake mixes, and some non gluten-free kids thought it was "okay", but when I made this other recipe before the kids thought it was better than wheat cake. So - you know kids - the last thing I want is for her friends to go "yuck!"

Good luck with the party and that cake!
Happy 9th to your daughter!

Bobbie Jo
44 yrs old, Wife, Mom

More info in my profile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: