11 replies to this topic

#1 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hey everyone! So, I have been gluten free for 8 months, and for 6 and a half of those months I have felt great. The last month and a half has been full of gas and bloating constantly. I have been keeping a food diary and I think I am having a problem with fructose (I already do not eat dairy). I am just feeling so overwhelmed with this new intolerance, meaning more food I cannot eat.
How do I begin on a fructose reduced/free diet? Also, is it possible that these lactose and fructose intolerances will go away if I go off the offending foods for a while?

Thanks so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yes, people go on low/no fructose diets.

Have you tried digestive enzymes with meals? It maybe a stage of healing you're going through (I went through a gassy/bloaty phase).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

A great diet is outlined in "Primal Body, Primal Mind," a book by Nora Gedgaudes. No grains, no dairy, and no fruit (or very little). It's easy to follow, and I feel great eating the way early man used to

#4 ukdan

ukdan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I've had similar problems with sugars and have found following a low FODMAP diet helps, I haven't got any links to hand but there is plenty of stuff online if you search for it.

I've found it is still a bit trial and error as not all foods listed as 'safe' are suitable for me personally but it has helped a lot once you figure out the main culprits of the bloating.

#5 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

It is all a matter of trial and error sometimes to figure these things out. I personally was having trouble with certain veggies like cabbage, cauliflower causing gassy bloated issues. Then my sugars started bothering me but what I could nto understand is it seemed more than just fruit and refined sugar. I finally took all grains out of my diet as well as fruits and refined sugar and I am feeling much better. I think the other grains were giving me issues that I was not associating with corn and rice. I also do not eat potatoes. Keep a food diary and experiment to find what works.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#6 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

thanks for the tips everyone! and I have been taking digestive enzymes with ever meal; they do seem to help somewhat, until dinner rolls around and I get huge again. I am in my last week of the semester at college, so spare time is a rare thing. but I think once I am done with school for the summer I will have more time to figure out exactly what foods are causing my problems, and I may try the Paleo diet, I have heard interesting things about it : )

thanks again!

#7 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think berries and really ripe bananas are supposed to be pretty good. I found your post looking for my own information on fructose intolerance. How is it that we're randomly having this problem after 6 months? I thought these sorts of things would be on the way out...

#8 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

I think berries and really ripe bananas are supposed to be pretty good. I found your post looking for my own information on fructose intolerance. How is it that we're randomly having this problem after 6 months? I thought these sorts of things would be on the way out...

i know, i have no idea why after we have been feeling great for so long that now it is starting all over again. i went to my doctor yesterday about my bloating symptoms, and he had no idea. ughh, guess we have to do it on our own. but yes, i have found berries and bananas to be ok. also i think citrus fruits are ok too. and spinach, i eat a lot of that haha.

good luck with everything, here's to hoping it will go away in another 6 months!

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've been on the diet for almost a year now, and I felt so incredibly great at first it was a real shock when things went back downhill. But FINALLY I think I've turned the corner. I think I read here that it takes an average of 18 months to figure it all out. So be patient, keep a food diary, and know that it WILL get better.

In the meantime, you can always come here for advice and support. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

the best advice is to keep a food diary. that is the easiest way to figure out what foods may be causing your symptoms. note your symptoms in the food diary as well to help keep track of everything.

I have used a food diary in the past to help figure out symptoms and reactions.
Best thing I ever did for figuring out my symptoms.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#11 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I have to chime in - 6 months gluten free, and I'm also so bloated all of a sudden!! I figured out it's fructose, but I can't seem to handle any carbs either. Paleo works great, but it's difficult to maintain while traveling and on backpacking trips. How long did this annoying bloaty phase last for you more healed folks? Nice to know I'm not alone, but I'm sorry you guys are having these problems too.

#12 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have to chime in - 6 months gluten free, and I'm also so bloated all of a sudden!! I figured out it's fructose, but I can't seem to handle any carbs either. Paleo works great, but it's difficult to maintain while traveling and on backpacking trips. How long did this annoying bloaty phase last for you more healed folks? Nice to know I'm not alone, but I'm sorry you guys are having these problems too.

What I have done is just cut a lot of sugar out of my diet, especially refined sugar. That has seemed to help my bloating so much! Also, stress was a huge factor. Unfortunately, the digestive tract is connected to the nervous system and when we get stressed our intestines and stomach take a hit. I dont think there is one finite answer to our problems, we just have to experiment and see what works...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: