37 replies to this topic

#16 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Interesting. Being able to eat eggs again would make my life so much easier with my meal planning and everything. I'm staying away from casein for life because I feel that contributed to my gut damage too. I really hope I could consume whey protein again, haven't really tried it out in months but I will eventually.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

I doubt that any damage to your shoulder or joints is permanent. People who have sufferred for many years with signifacant pain and inflammation of their joints often make a full recovery once they are completely gluten free. Supplements are not a bad idea, but don't go overboard because you are panicked. You can't force your body to recover and over-supplementation can be damaging. A good naturopathic doctor would probably give you more direction than any MD at this point. Most MD's (not all) are quick to dismiss that food can cause such havoc on the body. They are trained to treat symptoms with pills and not to look at the underlying cause. There are of course, many exceptions to this- but you can waste a lot of time and $ trying to find them!

#18 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

Oh, and as for egg- it is a common allergen. If it gives you noteable physical symptoms, that is your body telling you it is being harmed. Ditch the eggs for now. When you are feeling great for 6 mos' you can give it another try. In the meantime, don't be surprised if a few other food intolerances pop up. It is a common theme amongst Celiacs!

#19 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for that information.

I am on my 7th day of being gluten free. My shoulders feel so much better, my digestion is better too. But I am freaking out. I noticed in the last couple weeks, that when I fall asleep, just when I began to really sleep, I get this shaking feeling, like tremor shake feeling and I'm awake in my head trying to snap out of it but it takes a few seconds and then I finally wake up. This has me pretty scared that I'm coming down with someone far worse then gluten sensitivity, althought it is obvious that I am gluten sensitive. I know symptoms of gluten sensitivity come in a wide range, but can this be another symptom? I have been off gluten for 7 days now.

#20 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for that information.

I am on my 7th day of being gluten free. My shoulders feel so much better, my digestion is better too. But I am freaking out. I noticed in the last couple weeks, that when I fall asleep, just when I began to really sleep, I get this shaking feeling, like tremor shake feeling and I'm awake in my head trying to snap out of it but it takes a few seconds and then I finally wake up. This has me pretty scared that I'm coming down with someone far worse then gluten sensitivity, althought it is obvious that I am gluten sensitive. I know symptoms of gluten sensitivity come in a wide range, but can this be another symptom? I have been off gluten for 7 days now.

Tom, that sounds like either
A) gluten withdrawal kicking in
B) What I refer to as non digestion --- where you actually don't have enough stomach acid. Probiotics will help that.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Sept. 2013 adding back dairy in small quantities & thus trialing iodine

#21 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, withdrawal will make you weeeiiirrrdddd.

Lots of people notice sleep issues in the first months, from insomnia to muscle twitches.

Don't panic yet.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#22 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks. I have been taking probitoics. They help with digestion.

I do get slight muscle twitches too. But the shaking feeling is just scary. I'm trying not to panic !

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

... I'm trying not to panic !

Oh Oh , get a towel! Aka Ford Fairlane in Hitchhikers Guide. :)

Hi Tom,

Going gluten-free causes a lot of changes in GI system. Bacteria strains change, things start healing and enzymes that were missing may start reappearing. Lots of change can equal some distress. A simple diet with no processed foods and no or low sugar can help heal your gut. It won't happen overnight though, it takes some time. After you have done a whole foods diet for a few months things should settle down. If not you may need to look at an elimination diet to detect other food intolernaces.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ok, I'm on day 9 of being gluten free. My hand and shoulder pain are still improving, but my headaches are getting worse. From what I have read, some people report headaches from from with drawl. I don't want to take any drug so are their any good ways to minimize the discomfort? The headache seems to be towards the front of my head just above my eyes. Would exercise be Ok? Yesterday I had a mild workout and felt great afterwards but the headache came late at night. Went away in the morning but came back worse this afternoon.

#25 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Ok, I'm on day 9 of being gluten free. My hand and shoulder pain are still improving, but my headaches are getting worse. From what I have read, some people report headaches from from with drawl. I don't want to take any drug so are their any good ways to minimize the discomfort? The headache seems to be towards the front of my head just above my eyes. Would exercise be Ok? Yesterday I had a mild workout and felt great afterwards but the headache came late at night. Went away in the morning but came back worse this afternoon.

I had to take a few Tylenol during my withdrawals (mine was from a drug, actually) but it was still a part of detox. Didn't take much - just one or two for a few days.

And do anything that works to make you feel better. Seriously.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#26 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ice pack on your forehead Tom. Sorry you're having the headaches.Posted Image Yes, people report headaches while going through withdrawal. and for what it's worth I had a lot of that shaky feeling a lot of the time. And being able to hear your heart beat --- very annoying.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Sept. 2013 adding back dairy in small quantities & thus trialing iodine

#27 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I agree with the icepacks. Try to stick it out. Normally it (the heavy withdrawal) does not last too long (although every day can seem too long :rolleyes: )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone! You're helping me stay calm!

#29 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hey guys, I need some advice again.

I went gluten/dairy free about three weeks ago.

Before going gluten free I suffered with digestion problems, hand and joint pain.

After going gluten free, as I wrote in earlier posts, I had weird withdrawal symptoms. Headaches, muscle twitching and shaking at night. All of those symptoms have gone away now on week three. No more headaches, no more shoulder and hand pain.

But now my back is in terrible discomfort. Last week I did a light work out and the next day it seemed to have messed with a nerve on my back. It wasn't so bad but each day of going to work made it worse, until yesterday I couldn't take it no more. Now I can barely do anything.

Does this sound like a withdrawal symptom or more like nerve damage? I'm thinking the gluten attacked my nerves and they are/were super sensitive.

#30 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

All is fair in love, war and gluten.

All I can tell you is that for the first 6 months weird crap is going to happen. I thought I'd wake up one morning with wings sprouting out of my back.

Your body is "rebooting". It will make a few bad starts if you know what I mean??

Start tracking your food - that will help you pinpoint an additional food issue if you have one. And drink water. Lots of it.

You may notice weird stuff, just try to breathe deep and realize most of it will pass.

I don't remember if you had your vitamin levels checked or not, but if you didn't you should- and you may need some supplaments: iron, b's, d, cal/mag, k.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: