37 replies to this topic

#31 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks. Six months is a long time. I have a job and only so much sick time left ! But I guess I have no choice but to deal with it.

I have an appointment next week with the doctor. Right now I am supplementing with multivitamins and other supplements. I pretty much eat as healthy as I possibly can...Organic foods, totally gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Everyone makes their way through this. Have you read the fitness board here? there may be some hints in there.

Personally, I notice gluten makes a big difference in stamina and cramps. It's where I feel it first. Perhaps you're just going to have to take it easy for a while.

And alternate hot and cold on the painful area. Mostly cold. What about a good masseuse?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#33 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Alright thank you for the all the responses.

I been staying out of the fitness section because it depresses me to read about fitness and nutrition when I feel like I can't even move very well. haha.

A masseuse would be nice right about now.

#34 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Tom, FWIW, I (hope) have just finished (fingers & toes crossed) going through weird stuff like body parts that out of nowhere swell up, get red, won't move, or you scream when you try to move them. It might last a couple hours or 3 or 4 days. You never know. One day I would drag a leg around then be fine for a week then BOOM! the back of my hand would swell & be as painful as all get out. Weird stuff.
When it happens just go with the flow & try not to panic. Lay down, use a heating pad or an ice pack or a shot or two or three Posted Image or whatever makes you feel better if anything. Breathe. And keep breathing.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#35 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks. Six months is a long time. I have a job and only so much sick time left ! But I guess I have no choice but to deal with it.

I have an appointment next week with the doctor. Right now I am supplementing with multivitamins and other supplements. I pretty much eat as healthy as I possibly can...Organic foods, totally gluten free.

Are your supplements gluten free? and egg free?

#36 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Are your supplements gluten free? and egg free?

Yes, all of my supplements are gluten free. I barely cut eggs from my diet about a week into being gluten free after noticing I'd have lower back pain the next morning every time I ate some eggs.

#37 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ditto the above. When you go off gluten, it is like your body systems kind of go into shock. They don't know how to function properly. It takes time. Just relax, tell yourself weird stuff is gonna happen for a few months.

It is unlikely you have any permanent nerve damage. Get your vit levels checked, rest, relax and ride it out. It gets better. I promise.

#38 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. It really helped in keeping me calm in one of the worst times of my life. I struggled for months not knowing what was wrong with me.

Because of the kind of work I do, I am trying to see a chiropractor just to make sure things are in order. I never thought gluten would cause such a wide range of symptoms, from my stomach, hands, shoulders and now my back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: