#1 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi all,
Quick question for the lactose-free crowd...has anyone had problems tolerating the Lactaid tablet itself? Our twin who is Celiac and has an incredibly low lactase score seems to be having more stomach pains taking the Lactaid tablet and eating dairy. In fact, she has twice thrown up after the combo of Lactaid tablet and ice cream.

Our plan is to go with lactose free milk/ice creams, etc for now. We are considering taking her off dairy for some time, although we aren't sure what the boundaries are in terms of how to define dairy...etc.

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

You are talking a child so this might not apply. I could not eat dairy and I did try to lactose enzymes. I found the one that you take prior to eating dairy simply did not work for me. The one that you took daily did as long as I took 2 a day. Is it possible to
hat it is not the lactose supplement that is making her sick but that it is not enough and it is causing hr to be sick from dairy?
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,695 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

It is possible that she is reacting to casien and if that is the case lactaid tablets would not help. You may want to drop all dairy for a bit, watch out for casien on labels of 'dairy free' items, and see if that helps.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Make sure the lactaid tablets are gluten-free. Not all of them are.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I don't think she's throwing up from the tablet.

If I were her I'd want to try true dairy-free for a couple weeks at a minimum. (Somehow casein can be in things called non-dairy :wacko: like powdered coffee non-dairy creamer)

Also, it could make sense if an "incredibly low lactase score" correlates to more villi damage indicating a more advanced case which could have a higher probability of celiac-related casein issues. Just spitballin' here.

I don't bet on much, but I'd bet she wouldn't've thrown up if she had the tablet w/out the ice cream.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#6 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Tom!

Yes, I could do the test "Here's a tablet, let's see how you do!"

And, yes, we are about to go dairy free. Newbie question: is there a difference between dairy free and casein free?

And, here are her disaccharidase scores as background:
Lactase 2.2 Abnormal <15
Sucrase 13.4 Abnormal <25
Maltase 56.8 Abnormal <100
Palatinase 2.2 Abnormal <5

Thanks for the help and input!

BTW, this is a kiddo who has vomited a total of 5x in her entire life (she's 5.5) so I'm especially eager to figure it out!

#7 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I just dug up my daughter's allergy testing: her Casein IgE came back negative. Does that mean she is not casein intolerant?

#8 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

IgE testing does not test for intolerances. The IgE antibodies are involved in "true" allergies (histamine response(s) sneezing, itchy eyes/nose, etc and anaphylaxis) Intolerance testing is usually done via IgG testing (ELISA and others...). Basically, a negative casein IgE test does not rule out a casein intolerance. Hope this helps!

~Laura :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#9 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Laura--that's a BIG help!

I "tested" my little Lactaid puker today...I took her to McDonald's for a vanilla milkshake and didn't give her a Lactaid tablet. No vomit. Hmmm. No belly ache, no bloating, crazy!

Not sure I'm going to test the Lactaid tablet only...I'd have to be out in the backyard with her for an afternoon to be prepped for that one!

#10 runnergirl88

runnergirl88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I know a few people who have become immune to the lactaid pill, but have found great constant relief from something called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula. I am lactose intolerant as well and found these work nicely and are much more convenient.My friend suffers from sever lactose intolerant and he swears by it!

Hope this helps! I attached a link to show you what it looks like:

http://www.digestive...nse_formula.asp

Stay strong! Feel better :D

#11 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I know a few people who have become immune to the lactaid pill, but have found great constant relief from something called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula.
http://www.digestive...nse_formula.asp

Curious about this & the phrase "become immune to the lactaid pill", I clicked the link. The pill is just lactase & a probiotic.

Most ppl w/ digestive issues should think about taking probiotics - or already be taking them, imho - whether lactose intolerant or not.

P.S. Thought it strange that the label http://www.digestive...acts-da-ldf.gif says "Contains Soy", though no ingredient looks suspect to this 5-yrs-soyfree celiac. Are they making maltodextrin from soy now?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#12 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Laura--that's a BIG help!

I "tested" my little Lactaid puker today...I took her to McDonald's for a vanilla milkshake and didn't give her a Lactaid tablet. No vomit. Hmmm. No belly ache, no bloating, crazy!

Not sure I'm going to test the Lactaid tablet only...I'd have to be out in the backyard with her for an afternoon to be prepped for that one!

No problem!

Well that's good that she didn't have a negative reaction I'm sure she enjoyed the milkshake? B) It's possible that because she only had the milkshake and no other dairy that day her body was able to tolerate it. I know there are other lactase enzymes you could try. Enzymedica makes one, I believe.

~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: