This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Please!

CeliacFashionista

CeliacFashionista Apprentice

I will try converting my milk kefir grains...I did not realize you could do that Thank you! I am VERY stressed. This is my last quarter. I graduate in June and I have no idea where I will work. I cannot get a job with my face like this. My degree is in FASHION!!!! We do not have any type of meal plan or anything at my school.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dani nero Community Regular

I will try converting my milk kefir grains...I did not realize you could do that Thank you! I am VERY stressed. This is my last quarter. I graduate in June and I have no idea where I will work. I cannot get a job with my face like this. My degree is in FASHION!!!! We do not have any type of meal plan or anything at my school.

You HAVE to communicate with your tutors and see what they have to say. They will not be understanding with you if your progress simply falls behind, but they will be very supportive and maybe even be able to offer some advice regarding your studies if you put them in the picture.

So talk to your tutor as soon as possible. I'm studying illustration and it's the same type of work and pressure as your major, so I do understand your stress. Remember, one step at a time. If you tackle everything at once things won't go so smoothly. Focus on the tasks that are most important first, and just keep in mind that if you keep stressing you won't get much done. Relax, and you'll produce. You'll figure things and hopefully your face will clear up before it's time to get a job, so don't worry about that for now. Worry about getting better, and about your studies.

Prickly's shopping suggestion was a good one. If you have any foods you've not opened yet and you have the receipts you can always try changing them for something else.

Berries and fruits except for pealed pears will provoke your DH. I know this will sound a little gross but chicken wings are not very expensive and they're quite fatty. I had a friend who wanted to gain weight so ate chicken wings with rice. Rice is also cheap.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Okay, I saw where you tried dapsone and got a rash. I'm betting your allergic to that class of drugs. Did you talk to the doc about other DH regimens? There are a few other treatment protocols.

Open Original Shared Link

I am emailing my teacher now to let him know my situation. My other teacher is already aware. I have a bunch of chicken and rice! But I cant eat that all day! I need something I can take with me on the go. I usually eat bananas when I'm on the run and I eat kale and broccoli for greens. I guess I can finish up the last of bananas and buy a few pears instead. However bananas don't cause we to break out no matter how many I eat.

I am emailing my teacher now to let him know my situation. My other teacher is already aware. I have a bunch of chicken and rice! But I cant eat that all day! I need something I can take with me on the go. I usually eat bananas when I'm on the run and I eat kale and broccoli for greens. I guess I can finish up the last of bananas and buy a few pears instead. However bananas don't cause we to break out no matter how many I eat.

Here is a list of fruits that are ok (ranging from none to low amount of sals):

Banana

Pealed Pear

Lime

Apple – golden delicious

Nashi Pears

Papaya

Paw Paw

Tamarillo

Broccoli is sadly high on sals so you don't want to buy that anymore.

As for veggies (also from none to low amount of sals):

Bamboo Shoots

Beans (dried – not borlotti)

Cabbage (green or white)

Celery

Green Split peas

Lentils (brown)

Lentils (red)

Lettuce (iceberg)

Peas (dried)

Potato (old/white and peeled)

Swede

Bean Sprouts

Borlotti beans

Brussels sprouts

Cabbage – red

Cauliflower

Chickpeas

Chives

Choko

Fresh Asparagus

Green Beans

Green Peas

Leek

Mung bean sprouts

Onion

Potato (white with peel)

Shallots

Yellow split peas

and veggies with medium sals, meaning you have to eat them in moderation:

Asparagus – tinned

Aubergine – peeled

Beetroot

Black Olives

Canned Asparagus

Carrot

Fresh Tomato

Frozen Spinach

Lettuce (other than iceberg)

Marrow

Mushrooms

Parsnips

Potato (new and red Pontiac)

Pumpkin

Snow Peas

Sprout

Sweet corn

Turnip

Beware though that you should avoid any beans, mushrooms, and cauliflower if you want to go on candida diet as well as sals.

As for the rice, you can have rice one day, potato another day, and so on. You can even try brown rice as a third alternative since it has a different flavor and consistency from white rice so it won't feel the same. Just make sure that the rice you're buying isn't mixed with barely or some glutenous grain.

If you're short on time make a large batch and then pack a small lunch every day with a fork. I know repeating what you eat is tedious, believe me I've gotten so sick of what I eat because I can count the things I eat on my fingers, but it's something you might have to put up with for a short while for the sake of feeling better.

If you get really bored of the repetitive foods, just post all the things you can eat on a forum post and ask for recipe suggestions. You'll get flooded with amazing ideas :-) and I speak from experience!

Poppy seeds, hazelnuts, cashews, Pecans and sunflower seeds are low sals. Those you can take with you anywhere.

Meat is low sal - take a bit of meat, low sal veg/fruit with you in a cold lunch box with an ice pack.

You could make homemade apple chips from a low sal apple variety.

If you have rice flour you could probably figure out a low sal/li chocolate (use cocoa) cookie, etc.

Poppy seeds, hazelnuts, cashews, Pecans and sunflower seeds are low sals. Those you can take with you anywhere.

Meat is low sal - take a bit of meat, low sal veg/fruit with you in a cold lunch box with an ice pack.

You could make homemade apple chips from a low sal apple variety.

If you have rice flour you could probably figure out a low sal/li chocolate (use cocoa) cookie, etc.

Nuts too :-) they're really expensive in Sweden but not sure how it is over there :-)

Do you have the recipe for the rice flower chocolate cookies :-O I wouldn't mind that one at all (if it's egg free and can substitute sugar with maple syrup)!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nuts too :-) they're really expensive in Sweden but not sure how it is over there :-)

Do you have the recipe for the rice flower chocolate cookies :-O I wouldn't mind that one at all (if it's egg free and can substitute sugar with maple syrup)!

Now Dani, you put me on the spot. Now I'm going to have to figure one out.

Here's one. Instead of full eggs you could do egg whites. Replace butter with shortening or oil (I think you'd reduce oil a bit if using). I'd refrigerate the dough before baking. You could add some cocoa. I'd use half the amount of maple syrup to sugar.

Here's another. Again, use egg white only or egg replacer (or whipped flax seed or chia seed). Open Original Shared Link

What about kale?

Now Dani, you put me on the spot. Now I'm going to have to figure one out.

Hahahaha :-)

Here's one. Instead of full eggs you could do egg whites. Replace butter with shortening or oil (I think you'd reduce oil a bit if using). I'd refrigerate the dough before baking. You could add some cocoa. I'd use half the amount of maple syrup to sugar.

Here's another. Again, use egg white only or egg replacer (or whipped flax seed or chia seed). Open Original Shared Link

Oh thank you Prickly, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Hahahaha :-)

Oh thank you Prickly, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

I'd try #2 first.

What about kale?

I think kale is low but I'm not sure.. can't find much info about it

I'd try #2 first.

I was thinking the same thing :-)

What about kale?

I can't find info on kale. Grr. Dani?

If you google "kale salicylate" you'll get lots of results. Sub kale for anything on the search and you'll likely find an answer. It seems sals levels are debated a bit, so if you're ok with something I'd use that info over a chart. Remember, they are cumulative and it may take a few days to see a reaction.

I can't find info on kale. Grr. Dani?

If you google "kale salicylate" you'll get lots of results. Sub kale for anything on the search and you'll likely find an answer. It seems sals levels are debated a bit, so if you're ok with something I'd use that info over a chart. Remember, they are cumulative and it may take a few days to see a reaction.

I only found one source stating it's low, but only one source isn't a positive answer for me.

cougie23 Explorer

That sounds like hives. Except the freckling part. Hives can be caused by anything/nothing. There are heat hives, cold hives, pressure hives, stress hives....do antihistimines help?

Maybe you should put this on another thread, Cougie...dovit can get more attention.

Oh wait! Lookie! Open Original Shared Link)/Urticaria%20Pigmentosa%20Update%20Jan%202012%20-%20lay%20reviewed%20Oct%202011.pdf

No...not hives, definatly not hives! Its litterally hundreds of bloodspots(pinpricks)right under the skin...like broken bloodvessels!( or a pin prick)....thats why I took intrest when pinpricks were mentioned! I've talked about it on other threads...noone knows what it is...this is the first time I've heard it mentioned by someone ELSE! Even my Dr. can't explain it...and He used to be a dermatologist before he took over my regular doctors practice! Fustrating! My skin itches like crazy...but NOT because of the spots...THAT comes and goes!The itching is something different all together!!!

Definately celiac related! :(:blink:

Oh...the link you posted didn't work...what was it for?

No...not hives, definatly not hives! Its litterally hundreds of bloodspots(pinpricks)right under the skin...like broken bloodvessels!( or a pin prick)....thats why I took intrest when pinpricks were mentioned! I've talked about it on other threads...noone knows what it is...this is the first time I've heard it mentioned by someone ELSE! Even my Dr. can't explain it...and He used to be a dermatologist before he took over my regular doctors practice! Fustrating! My skin itches like crazy...but NOT because of the spots...THAT comes and goes!The itching is something different all together!!!

Definately celiac related! :(:blink:

Oh...the link you posted didn't work...what was it for?

It's for urticaria pigmentosa. Uhm, I think it fits what you describe as a condition that turns into freckles. Why wouldn't it be hives? Hives act EXACTLY the way you describe. Open Original Shared Link)/Urticaria%20Pigmentosa%20Update%20Jan%202012%20-%20lay%20reviewed%20Oct%202011.pdf

Now, I don't deny it's probably gluten related...see, they generally don't know what triggers hives. Gluten could trigger hives.

You could also have DH plus hives. Which makes you very very very special. In a very unfortunate way....

You really need to get that first link to work since its the best description about freckles.

There's a cream you may try - its a mast cell stabilizer. I tried it for DH and helped a bit. It may help you. You make it at home. Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

It's for urticaria pigmentosa. Uhm, I think it fits what you describe as a condition that turns into freckles. Why wouldn't it be hives? Hives act EXACTLY the way you describe. Open Original Shared Link)/Urticaria%20Pigmentosa%20Update%20Jan%202012%20-%20lay%20reviewed%20Oct%202011.pdf

Now, I don't deny it's probably gluten related...see, they generally don't know what triggers hives. Gluten could trigger hives.

You could also have DH plus hives. Which makes you very very very special. In a very unfortunate way....

Thanks! Wonder why it wouldn't work?? My phone?

Jestgar Rising Star

Thanks! Wonder why it wouldn't work?? My phone?

Maybe. Your phone could have 'sectioned' in such a way that the site didn't understand.

Thank you guys. I am going to try and see if this helps...I also saw that niacin is helpful so I will try that as well.

Thank you guys. I am going to try and see if this helps...I also saw that niacin is helpful so I will try that as well.

You're very welcome. Ask as many questions as you need.

squirmingitch Veteran

I couldn't get it to work either until Jestgar posted the link.

cougie23 Explorer

You really need to get that first link to work since its the best description about freckles.

There's a cream you may try - its a mast cell stabilizer. I tried it for DH and helped a bit. It may help you. You make it at home. Open Original Shared Link

I googled images for Urticaria pigmentosa...thats NOT it either! Nice try though!Thankyou! What I have is smaller...less noticable...unless you look...not raised...and NOT itchy! It literally looks like I got in a fight with a pincushin! and you can watch them apear like the stars coming out at dusk...first one...then two...then six...then twenty!Its crazy! The histimene part is the only part that might be a clue! Thanks for trying! And I've HAD Hives before...Inside...and out!That isn't it! I get Hives in my stomache from blueberries...and I get 'em in my intire intestinal tract when I get Glutened...(feels like BEESTINGERS...really hurts)...Couldn't figure out what it was at first...but the doc said..."oh yeah...thats hives!" :blink: ...Thanks Doc...thats alot of help! :lol:

Archived