This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Please!

CeliacFashionista

dani nero Community Regular

Im def. not ruling out sals but I was eating high sals all day everyday with no reaction but as soon as I had in too much iodine that's when I get new lesions. I am almost positive that high sals are keeping me from healing as quickly though. I didn't have any new reactions until I added the naked juice and then I had a bag of cranberries and almonds so I think that caused the reaction. I've eaten a bag a cranberries daily on the low iodine diet with no itching or reaction. But I think both together are what caused me a bad reaction. But hopefully limiting both will allow healing. Then I will slowing add in high sals foods and monitor any reaction in a few weeks.

It seems I've missed a lot, sorry! I'm glad though that you're doing much better and you've had the best sals experts advising you :-)

Something I would like to add though from my own experience! I didn't really have problems with sals when I first went gluten free. My problem with sals didn't "start" until I decided to start with a strict elimination diet, which meant no processed foods and only basic things. The problem was that all the fresh basic things I liked and started eating every single meal were very high on sals. My sensitivity to sals only started after TWO weeks of eating nothing but concentrated amounts of sals.. I'm guessing that's because sals sensitivity is something that can be "triggered" by consuming large amounts of sals. It was the same thing with G6PD.. I didn't have any symptoms when I was young, but I never really ate beans until I was 27, and once I hit 34 I was almost addicted to beans. I loved and ate a loooot of them "daily", which caused the G6PD to surface. Now I can't have them because even a small amount will cause an anemic episode.

Now you just need to figure out the level of sals your body can tolerate. For example, I can eat one small sweet potato a day, but if I have carrots or tomatoes, I don't eat the sweet potato or limit to half a very small one. If I happen to get greedy and eat too much of one of them, it'll show once I eat THE NEXT food that contains sals which tips me over the edge.

Sals sensitivity likes to take you by surprise I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CeliacFashionista Apprentice

Most bacon is gluten-free. I use the Hormel Naturals brand (marked gluten-free) or Trader Joes. Now, they both may have salt in them but I doubt it's iodized because iodized salt isn't usually used for curing. But you never know.

I mean fresh bacon from the meat market. It isnt processed or anything just start slabs from the pig! I LOVE bacon lol

squirmingitch Veteran

Most bacon is gluten-free. I use the Hormel Naturals brand (marked gluten-free) or Trader Joes. Now, they both may have salt in them but I doubt it's iodized because iodized salt isn't usually used for curing. But you never know.

Thanks for that info. Prickly.

Yes, you never know.... just like the ham I found & asked the company if they use iodized salt & the answer was yes.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I mean fresh bacon from the meat market. It isnt processed or anything just start slabs from the pig! I LOVE bacon lol

Bacon is a curing process, otherwise it's just pork.

There are different processes for curing. If you have bacon that works for you, keep eating it. But if it's salt cured then you might ask if it is iodized salt.

Open Original Shared Link

squirmingitch Veteran

It seems I've missed a lot, sorry! I'm glad though that you're doing much better and you've had the best sals experts advising you :-)

Something I would like to add though from my own experience! I didn't really have problems with sals when I first went gluten free. My problem with sals didn't "start" until I decided to start with a strict elimination diet, which meant no processed foods and only basic things. The problem was that all the fresh basic things I liked and started eating every single meal were very high on sals. My sensitivity to sals only started after TWO weeks of eating nothing but concentrated amounts of sals.. I'm guessing that's because sals sensitivity is something that can be "triggered" by consuming large amounts of sals. It was the same thing with G6PD.. I didn't have any symptoms when I was young, but I never really ate beans until I was 27, and once I hit 34 I was almost addicted to beans. I loved and ate a loooot of them "daily", which caused the G6PD to surface. Now I can't have them because even a small amount will cause an anemic episode.

Now you just need to figure out the level of sals your body can tolerate. For example, I can eat one small sweet potato a day, but if I have carrots or tomatoes, I don't eat the sweet potato or limit to half a very small one. If I happen to get greedy and eat too much of one of them, it'll show once I eat THE NEXT food that contains sals which tips me over the edge.

Sals sensitivity likes to take you by surprise I guess.

That's MOL what happened to me too. I unknowingly went high sals on everything! I thought I was eating healthy & I was; I was just eating everything with high sals. Then I hit the wall with sals.

Beans --- Fasionista --- you can have beans --- look them up on the sals lists.

Dani, I always wondered what that G6PD was.

Thanks for that info. Prickly.

Yes, you never know.... just like the ham I found & asked the company if they use iodized salt & the answer was yes.

That's just weird. Why would they do that since it can disfigure the color and make cloudy discharge?

Try a sugar cured?

squirmingitch Veteran

Hey, I'm okay with it now that I'm not doing low iodine. I only have it in limited quantities so it's cool. I love the taste of this one & that's why I don't change. Perfect texture, perfect taste.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hey, I'm okay with it now that I'm not doing low iodine. I only have it in limited quantities so it's cool. I love the taste of this one & that's why I don't change. Perfect texture, perfect taste.

I know. Bacon is an addiction. I'm stuck on applewood smoked. The Hormel doesn't suck (which was surprising). Hubs loves salty bacon like Italian cuts or Irish back. I can't do that much salt.

I'm on my way to trader joe's I will pick up as many new items as I can and try and mix them in with things I already have.

That's MOL what happened to me too. I unknowingly went high sals on everything! I thought I was eating healthy & I was; I was just eating everything with high sals. Then I hit the wall with sals.

Beans --- Fasionista --- you can have beans --- look them up on the sals lists.

Dani, I always wondered what that G6PD was.

That's a theory anyway.. I should probably start specifying (facts or theories) :-)

G6PD is when red blood cells are manufactured with a missing ingredient (I can't remember any of the names) and that happens only when the person eats specific things like any type of legumes and some medicine and antibiotics.

I'm on my way to trader joe's I will pick up as many new items as I can and try and mix them in with things I already have.

Let us know of your progress (whether better or worse)

I picked up a bunch of really great SAFE foods at trader joe's. I got sunflower oil and a sunflower nutbutter with no preservatives! Just nuts and sea salt. I also got quinoa, and a bunch of pears, apples,more garlic and some cabbage(even though I hate it) and celery. I already had alot of meat so this stuff should last me a while.

squirmingitch Veteran

I picked up a bunch of really great SAFE foods at trader joe's. I got sunflower oil and a sunflower nutbutter with no preservatives! Just nuts and sea salt. I also got quinoa, and a bunch of pears, apples,more garlic and some cabbage(even though I hate it) and celery. I already had alot of meat so this stuff should last me a while.

Terrific! I bet you can make some killer soup with meat, leeks, cabbage, celery & garlic. And how about leek soup? look through the recipe section on the forum for ideas.

Terrific! I bet you can make some killer soup with meat, leeks, cabbage, celery & garlic. And how about leek soup? look through the recipe section on the forum for ideas.

I saw a recipe for a vegan soup using cashew cream - I think it was leek & potato. It's an idea.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ooooo yum! That sounds wonderful.

Ooooo yum! That sounds wonderful.

You'll have to google around for it but it was the same guy that has a recipe for cashew cream...highest ranked link, I think.

Yumm I will try and make that soups one of these days!

Di2011 Enthusiast

And for alternatives and variation make it more stew/casserole like. Add potato (peeled) and as soon as they soften mash the bits of potato. That acts as the thickener. It is my favourite way to do stew/casserole.

Sounds like you're going to eat well.. One thing comes to mind, isn't sea salt high on iodine? I might be mistaken, and the quantity of sea salt in the nutbutter might be small, but be careful.

Sounds like you're going to eat well.. One thing comes to mind, isn't sea salt high on iodine? I might be mistaken, and the quantity of sea salt in the nutbutter might be small, but be careful.

Yes, I thought that too but I don't think I will be eating that much of it for it to cause a problem.

squirmingitch Veteran

There are conflicting thoughts on the internet as far as sea salt containing iodine. some say yes in a big way & some say no sooooo.....

My feeling is this ---- since I can't be sure then I'll stick with non iodized salt. And some places say even non iodized salt has a little iodine in it.

I think the iodone content depends on where it was harvested from. Sometimes sea salt will list the iodine content, other times not.

If you have a problem with it, stop using it and switch to non iodized til you get things under control.

Personally, sea salt was the first thing I ditched and last thing I went back to because it was so easy to eliminate and substitute. Real Salt is a good low iodine sea salt..

I think I'm gonna cut out rice for a while. So my diet will be pretty similar to the SCD diet, has anyone tried that diet? I seem to get a real heavy really when I eat rice. I never had problems before with rice but it seems that the longer I am gluten free the more obvious my reactions to other foods are.

Archived