4 replies to this topic

#1 julandjo

julandjo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

So I've recently been able to add RICE to my diet!!! :D This is HUGE - I've been on the same 8 safe foods for over a year and am extremely sensitive to any CC. I do very well with white rice, but brown rice caused GI distress. Anyway, I've been eating Lundberg, which is great, but the price hurts. Costco sells 25-lb bags of different kinds of rices at fantastic prices, most of which are grown outside the U.S. Any super-sensitives have experience with other safe brands?

Also, they did have one brand of "parboiled golden rice" that specifically said gluten free. But #1 what is parboiled, and #2 would this technically be a brown rice or a white rice?
ETA: here's what it is: http://www.amrice.com/3-1.cfm?bID=22
It sounds like something I should avoid... the bran layer is part of what makes brown rice harder to digest, no?
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I was super sensitive and still am pretty sensitive and have never had any problems with the rice at costco - I eat the basmatti in the burlap bag and also the jasmine rice. My costco sells Lundberg rice in 10 lb bags for $10 so you might ask the manager if they can order it.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Sorry I can't help with the rice brand. :-(

...but re: the brown rice vs. the white rice. Have you ever been looked at for fructose malabsorption, by any chance? It's a condition that can involve problems with specific grain, veggies, fruits, etc... But brown rice causing problems and white rice being safe happens for those with fructose malabsorption, so I thought I'd mention it. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I've got problems with oats, so I've always had reactions to Lundberg's products.

I used to not react to RiceSelect products... but that has changed recently and I now have them on the "no-no" list for myself.

I really find I have far fewer issues with non-US products a lot of times... my current brands of rice are the JFC Internation/Dynasty brands (they have a jasmine rice, and a sushi rice that I also use for risotto). I'd really rather buy rice that comes from Thailand, since they're not as much of a wheat-based food culture than a lot of other places. Seems to work for me.

#5 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thank you all so much!! I'm going to get that burlap bag of basmati next time I'm there, yeehaw! I was thinking that stuff grown outside the US would be less likely to have gluten used as a cover crop - good to know I'm not alone in that thinking. :) T.H., neither I nor my naturopath think it's a fructose issue - I'm able to eat apples and drink apple juice all day long with no trouble. We'll get to the bottom of this somehow!
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: