3 replies to this topic

#1 birdie22

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Anyone have an issue with Pamela's bread mix giving them gas? I made a loaf for the first time on Sunday and have had 2 thin slices each day since. I've noticed that each day about 4-5hrs after that meal that I get smelly gas (sorry TMI). I've had other store bought gluten-free breads (like Udi's) and haven't noticed a problem. I also remember having Pamela's brownie mix and don't recall a problem. I haven't yet compared ingredients. Wondering if any of the ingredients is more likely to be the cause?

Ingredients

Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

ETA: I looked at the ingredients of the brownie mix and Ud's bread it looks like the main ingredient that is different is sorghum. Could that be the cause?
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

sorghum gets a lot of people. A friend of mine tried gluten-free sorghum beer and had to run multiple times for emergent rear evacuations. I find a lot of the gluten-free alternatives to be a nightmare for my GI.

#3 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

Thanks Chad. Dang that sorghum. It's the first ingredient in her bread mix. And oh my did having a homemade loaf taste good. Guess I'll investigate another brand or suck it up and make my own flour mix.

PS: Thankfully it appears their other mixes (pancake, brownie, etc) are sorghum free.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#4 raea2002

raea2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Better batter is good. I like it better than Pamela's bread mix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: