This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Out For Ice Cream

Minette

Minette Contributor

Our family doesn't go out for ice cream all that often, but it's a cherished ritual of childhood that I would hate to give up. However, it certainly seems like CC galore, with all those open tubs and scoops that are just rinsed off between customers. Is there any safe way to do this?

What about frozen yogurt or soft ice cream -- if it comes out of a machine and is a gluten-free flavor (according to the store), would you trust it? (I assume the toppings are out of bounds due to the same CC issue.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Ask them to get a completely clean scoop. Yes, I know there could still be some extremely minor CC from past scooping.

richard

Adalaide Mentor

I'd call or check out a website to find out what is and isn't gluten free. I personally wouldn't risk the CC of dipped ice cream because clean scoop or not it's possible there has been some CC from a formerly rinsed scoop. I have not had any issues at my favorite yogurt shop, everything is soft serve and only some flavors are gluten free.

For toppings it would really depend on their setup. Some places I've been to use shakers for sprinkles, some have everything just in containers with spoons. It's possible if it's highly subject to CC that they may be willing to get some from another container. Probably something to call ahead about to prevent disappointment after you're there. Any liquid toppings like chocolate syrup are most likely from a pump and (imo) not likely to be CC'd. Assuming of course they're gluten free.

If you buy gluten free ice cream cones for home, you could also call ahead and ask about bringing one. I still haven't outgrown my love of cones, and if a place is good with that you may just find yourself a real keeper of an ice cream shop!

Mom2J112903 Newbie

We have a local frozen yogurt shop that is self serve. The only cc would be from the topping bars, not the actual frozen yogurt. We take our son there maybe once/week and has their fat free and dairy free sorbet-no problems with it :)

mamaupupup Contributor

Hi there,

Quick reminder: I'm a newbie! Reading this about scoops and CC issues emphasizes in my mind a) how much I have to learn and B) how awesome y'all are to share and care so much. Thank you!

It's been a month since our girls have been diagnosed. Here have been our ice cream trips so far:

1. Pick up the pre-packaged single serving Haagen Dazs from Target and eat in the car. Ok, not so glamorous, but still fun. Note Twin A is lactose intolerant. Gave her a Lactaid and she ate that with the Dulce de Leche flavor. She threw it all up within the hour--all over a trampoline (hmmmm jumping on a trampoline after eating ice cream might have contributed...). Twin B had chocolate and was fine.

2. Went to Baskin Robbins. Didn't think AT ALL about asking for a clean scoop, etc. Was, however, impressed with the allergen warnings. Forgot to give Twin A a Lactaid. Both kids ate a scoop of sherbet in a cup and both seemed fine.

3. Took girls to a yogurt shop. Froyo went straight into a cup and I made sure they chose gluten-free toppings, CC of toppings crossed my mind-but not enough to deter me. Didn't give Twin A Lactaid tablet. Both kids seemed fine.

4. My husband and I took girls on separate errands and separate ice cream outings...his outing with Twin B to Baskin Robbins turned out better than my outing with Twin A to Rite Aid (what was I thinking???). Twin A chose "cotton candy flavor" which basically looks like pink and blue sherbet. I didn't THINK to ask for a clean scoop. I did give her a Lactaid tablet and she ate about half of her scoop and felt done. The "Mommy, my belly hurts" complaints started immediately. We made it to our driveway--but not out of the car-- before she vomited up the most intense bright purple vomit the planet has ever seen. Yep, all over herself, the carseat and the carpet in front of her! To her great credit, she did not vomit on the pile of library books! I yelled for my husband who came running out of the house. I said to him, "Do you want the car or the kid to clean up?" He chose car...I was done much faster, but had the wild card of whether or not she'd puke again. She didn't vomit again until about 10pm...all over herself and her bed. Yep, we probably did a half dozen loads of laundry last weekend.

On a humorous note, Twin B says to Twin A after she threw up in the car, "When you're all cleaned up, I have something for you." To which Twin A replied, "Ok, as long as it's not ice cream!" Hysterical. So nice a kid can be self-depricating in sticky times!

So statistically speaking, we are doing well with Baskin Robbins :)

Also, not sure anyone saw it--there was a wonderful article in the April/May 2011 Living Without by Joshua Feblowitz called "Life Lessons: Growing up with anaphylaxis" all about how his parents taught him to dine out safely. They had a tradition of giving an extra dollar on top of a 20% tip for servers who helped keep him safe. It's a heartwarming article. I'm sure all the ice cream scoopers out there would appreciate the extra tip!

Sorry so long...catharsis for me...thanks for tolerating!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Our local ice cream shop makes a big deal out of "keeping our customers safe" by washing off the scoops when asked. What bothers me is that until someone asks, the scoops are used in various tubs without rinsing, so the contamination could be in the ice cream, not on the scoop. We don't go there often.

One place on the Cape (Sundae School) was FANTASTIC. When I mentioned a food allergy (easier to say allergy then celiac) she changed her gloves, got a new scoop, and then went into the freezer to open a band new tub to get scoops for my son. It was the best customer service we have ever had - all without asking or explaining . . . and she didn't seem the least bit annoyed. We go there whenever possible.

Cara

Minette Contributor

Yeah, I wasn't worried about the scoop itself so much as the likelihood that even a gluten-free flavor would have bits of cookies or whatever from other people's scoops. But I'm glad to hear that it can be done! An extra tip is also a great idea.

(mamaupupup, sorry to hear about all the vomit you have been dealing with! That is one thing I am not looking forward to -- neither of my twins is a puker at all, but I'm getting the sense that increased puking might be part of Sarah's healing/adjustment process. She HATES throwing up and it's going to be very traumatic for her if it happens.)

Because we aren't even gluten-free yet, we have no idea how sensitive Sarah will be. It might be that a tiny bit of CC won't bother her, or it might be that we can barely leave the house. The uncertainty is tough to deal with. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you can find a place that caters to you, then give them all your business.

We used to go to a local Maggie Moo's. It's a bit pricey but they were fabulous. They would scoop with a clean scoop from a new unused container. Toppings came from the sealed containers in the back and not the open bins in the front.

We tried to make a point of going when it wasn't too busy because it always took extra time. The owner's daughter had a severe peanut allergy and he was big-time conscientious. He recognized us and knew what we needed but he always waited patiently for my daughter to order. . . pretending he didn't know she needed "special" services, asking her leading questions when she wasn't explaining herself well enough to get a "safe" order . . . just helping her practice for her future. Unfortunately, they went out of business :( I miss them.

Now we go to a soft serve frozen yogurt place and we either bring toppings with us for my daughter or ask for toppings from the back.

We also hit Dairy Queen . . . there are plenty of things that she likes there that I am comfortable with her having.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

We have Frost Gelato around here. Tons of flavors, most are gluten-free. They understand what you are talking about when you say gluten.

Their scoops stay in the same bin...it only scoops your flavor all day. They do warn that some could fall in a bin from another bin, etc. but I've had great luck with them.

I don't get toppings...

I did try Baskin Robbins and requested they wash the scoop. I got the typical brain-numb stare. Don't think I got glutened but they do use carageenan which I try to avoid (DH).

Mostly, I make my own ice cream or buy Talenti Gelato. Ice cream is just too easy to make....

mamaupupup Contributor

:) @ Janet--LOVE the comment about if one place is good to you give them all your business--that is so true!

@Minette--yay, twins! I tested my puker today ;) and gave her a vanilla milkshake from McDonald's (no Lactaid tablet) and she was fine...she only drank about 1/4th of it though (typical).

@Cara--Yes, Sundae School is wonderful--we are very close with a family on the Cape that has two Celiac kids. That family probably consumes more ice cream than any other family I have ever known, including mine (and I sneak ice cream for breakfast when the kids aren't looking). This family has been incredible about educating the community around the Cape, the restaurants, etc. and they played a major role in helping me figure out what was going on with our kiddos. Without them I probably never would have known what Celiac is. We'll be on the Cape later this year and we'll be sure to go to Sundae School!

• 1 month later...
123glldd Collaborator

Hi there,

Quick reminder: I'm a newbie! Reading this about scoops and CC issues emphasizes in my mind a) how much I have to learn and B) how awesome y'all are to share and care so much. Thank you!

It's been a month since our girls have been diagnosed. Here have been our ice cream trips so far:

1. Pick up the pre-packaged single serving Haagen Dazs from Target and eat in the car. Ok, not so glamorous, but still fun. Note Twin A is lactose intolerant. Gave her a Lactaid and she ate that with the Dulce de Leche flavor. She threw it all up within the hour--all over a trampoline (hmmmm jumping on a trampoline after eating ice cream might have contributed...). Twin B had chocolate and was fine.

2. Went to Baskin Robbins. Didn't think AT ALL about asking for a clean scoop, etc. Was, however, impressed with the allergen warnings. Forgot to give Twin A a Lactaid. Both kids ate a scoop of sherbet in a cup and both seemed fine.

3. Took girls to a yogurt shop. Froyo went straight into a cup and I made sure they chose gluten-free toppings, CC of toppings crossed my mind-but not enough to deter me. Didn't give Twin A Lactaid tablet. Both kids seemed fine.

4. My husband and I took girls on separate errands and separate ice cream outings...his outing with Twin B to Baskin Robbins turned out better than my outing with Twin A to Rite Aid (what was I thinking???). Twin A chose "cotton candy flavor" which basically looks like pink and blue sherbet. I didn't THINK to ask for a clean scoop. I did give her a Lactaid tablet and she ate about half of her scoop and felt done. The "Mommy, my belly hurts" complaints started immediately. We made it to our driveway--but not out of the car-- before she vomited up the most intense bright purple vomit the planet has ever seen. Yep, all over herself, the carseat and the carpet in front of her! To her great credit, she did not vomit on the pile of library books! I yelled for my husband who came running out of the house. I said to him, "Do you want the car or the kid to clean up?" He chose car...I was done much faster, but had the wild card of whether or not she'd puke again. She didn't vomit again until about 10pm...all over herself and her bed. Yep, we probably did a half dozen loads of laundry last weekend.

On a humorous note, Twin B says to Twin A after she threw up in the car, "When you're all cleaned up, I have something for you." To which Twin A replied, "Ok, as long as it's not ice cream!" Hysterical. So nice a kid can be self-depricating in sticky times!

So statistically speaking, we are doing well with Baskin Robbins :)

Also, not sure anyone saw it--there was a wonderful article in the April/May 2011 Living Without by Joshua Feblowitz called "Life Lessons: Growing up with anaphylaxis" all about how his parents taught him to dine out safely. They had a tradition of giving an extra dollar on top of a 20% tip for servers who helped keep him safe. It's a heartwarming article. I'm sure all the ice cream scoopers out there would appreciate the extra tip!

Sorry so long...catharsis for me...thanks for tolerating!

I must say...I woulda just stopped giving the kid ice cream lol Unless it was coconut milk that was used etc

trayne91 Apprentice

I just recently went to Cold Stone over the weekend. They got a clean scooper and made mine in the back from a brand new tub in a plastic bowl. You can also get ice cream in the store. I've been getting Edys or Blue Bunny - their websites say which ones are gluten free which pretty much anything that doesn't have cookie or malt in it.

1974girl Enthusiast

Ok...no one has mentioned McDonalds sundaes. Aren't they ok? I have heard they were. We do those once a week. Disclaimer: my daughter will show no symptoms so until this first blood work comes back, I don't know if I am doing ok.

Also-I am sorry but your puking story had me cracking up. Not because your child was sick but you have a great way of writing. You should do a blog. Yes, I think the trampoline may have contributed. I have a child who will throw up if she gets too full. We have had some adventures with that too. My poor husband usually gets all the puke clean up because I will be gagging with them. He usually tells me to leave before he has 2 messes to clean up. I can do blood, I can do explosive diarreah....I can not do vomit.

Anyway, if anyone knows that McDonalds is NOT safe, please let me know.

Darn210 Enthusiast

There are members who will tell you that nothing is safe at McDonalds. Any restaurant that is not entirely gluten free will have a chance of cross-contamination. All those disclaimers aside, my daughter has the sundaes on occassion and is fine with them.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I sit down on my sofa, with my own Talenti gelato---- now THAT is ice cream!!! And safe at that :)

123glldd Collaborator

Ok...no one has mentioned McDonalds sundaes. Aren't they ok? I have heard they were. We do those once a week. Disclaimer: my daughter will show no symptoms so until this first blood work comes back, I don't know if I am doing ok.

Also-I am sorry but your puking story had me cracking up. Not because your child was sick but you have a great way of writing. You should do a blog. Yes, I think the trampoline may have contributed. I have a child who will throw up if she gets too full. We have had some adventures with that too. My poor husband usually gets all the puke clean up because I will be gagging with them. He usually tells me to leave before he has 2 messes to clean up. I can do blood, I can do explosive diarreah....I can not do vomit.

Oh my god I'm totally with you on the vomit thing. As a teen i could watch movies like the Exorcist even...can't go near it now. I am soooooo sensitive to throwing up I'd never be able to clean it up lol What a nightmare!

mommyto2kids Collaborator

We had rootbeer floats tonight, all from the dollar store. Some people say the dollar store food is junk, but if I don't get sick, I don't care. :)

• 5 months later...
kelly's mom Newbie

Our family doesn't go out for ice cream all that often, but it's a cherished ritual of childhood that I would hate to give up. However, it certainly seems like CC galore, with all those open tubs and scoops that are just rinsed off between customers. Is there any safe way to do this?

What about frozen yogurt or soft ice cream -- if it comes out of a machine and is a gluten-free flavor (according to the store), would you trust it? (I assume the toppings are out of bounds due to the same CC issue.)

My family and I were traveling, it was late at night and we stopped at a McDonalds because it was the only place open. I have had the soft serve ice cream before and did not get sick so I thought I would have it in a cup. I watched as one of the workers took a cone and put the soft serve on it and then dumped the ice cream back in the machine. I was a bit stunned and told the young man who was helping me to cancel my ice cream order. I made a comment that I could get really sick by what had just happened. He asked why and I said I was allergic to ingredients in the cone. He was a nice clerk, he just did not know. He told me that they did not want to wasted ice cream and only the top ice cream had fallen off. He had to get a shift manager to void the entry. He gave me my money back and I went back to sit with my family. I could hear the conversation between him and the shift manager while we were sitting there. They had no clue what they had done could make some people sick. I guess I am done with McDonalds ice cream.

kareng Grand Master

My family and I were traveling, it was late at night and we stopped at a McDonalds because it was the only place open. I have had the soft serve ice cream before and did not get sick so I thought I would have it in a cup. I watched as one of the workers took a cone and put the soft serve on it and then dumped the ice cream back in the machine. I was a bit stunned and told the young man who was helping me to cancel my ice cream order. I made a comment that I could get really sick by what had just happened. He asked why and I said I was allergic to ingredients in the cone. He was a nice clerk, he just did not know. He told me that they did not want to wasted ice cream and only the top ice cream had fallen off. He had to get a shift manager to void the entry. He gave me my money back and I went back to sit with my family. I could hear the conversation between him and the shift manager while we were sitting there. They had no clue what they had done could make some people sick. I guess I am done with McDonalds ice cream.

Wish you had reported that store to the health department. That is unsanitary and against public health laws having nothing to do with gluten!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Lately we've had great service at Pinkberry. (yogurt, not ice cream, but close!). The frozen yogurt comes out of a machine and none of their flavors contain gluten so there is no danger of cc. If you want toppings, they have a list of what is safe and will take out a new container and new spoon to get your toppings (don't use the ones in the counter, they are a mess.) The staff is always pleasant and helpful.

C

zebra Newbie

I sit down on my sofa, with my own Talenti gelato---- now THAT is ice cream!!! And safe at that smile.gif

That may be 'safe'and diary free but for some reason Talenti makes me sick. I have no idea why because Iove gelato. :unsure:

Archived