This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reese's Cups Minis

Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head Apprentice

SO I was craving cookies at work today.. Not good, I really wanted them so instead when I got off work I went to Walmart and picked up a few snacks that I can have.. one of which was a bag of Reese's Peanut butter cups Minis, Unwrapped Minis cups.. I ate them without looking at the label afterwards I was reading the Nutrition labels to see how many calories and what not when a statement caught my eye..This Product was Manufactured on the same equipment that Processes WHEAT! I was like uh oh did I just mess up? I really hope I don't get sick from this. Has anyone noticed this before and does anyone else know of anything else that currently has this Awesome warning on it? So that I can avoid this in the future

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

SO I was craving cookies at work today.. Not good, I really wanted them so instead when I got off work I went to Walmart and picked up a few snacks that I can have.. one of which was a bag of Reese's Peanut butter cups Minis, Unwrapped Minis cups.. I ate them without looking at the label afterwards I was reading the Nutrition labels to see how many calories and what not when a statement caught my eye..This Product was Manufactured on the same equipment that Processes WHEAT! I was like uh oh did I just mess up? I really hope I don't get sick from this. Has anyone noticed this before and does anyone else know of anything else that currently has this Awesome warning on it? So that I can avoid this in the future

Sensitivity levels vary from person to person. I don't have a problem with shared equipment. They are generally pretty cleaned. YOU have to find your comfort zone on this.

Thanks Lisa.

psawyer Proficient

Sensitivity levels vary from person to person. I don't have a problem with shared equipment. They are generally pretty cleaned. YOU have to find your comfort zone on this.

I agree here.

rosetapper23 Explorer

....however, a study came out a few years ago that stated that products manufactured on shared equipment have a 70% chance of being contaminated. If the product is manufactured in a plant where wheat is also processed, then there's a 30% chance of contamination. So, I guess it depends on your level of sensitivity and luck. Personally, I NEVER eat products that have been manufactured on shared equipment.

Lisa Mentor

....however, a study came out a few years ago that stated that products manufactured on shared equipment have a 70% chance of being contaminated. If the product is manufactured in a plant where wheat is also processed, then there's a 30% chance of contamination. So, I guess it depends on your level of sensitivity and luck.

As I said, it's all a matter of personal sensitivity....study or not. ;)

If it makes you sick, don't go there again. :)

Adalaide Mentor

I found myself not feeling particularly well after testing this out for myself. I had a large can of dried blueberries I used for pancakes and muffins and such that's from a shared facility. I ate a whole bunch and wasn't feeling particularly well for a few days after that. Once was enough for me and I stay away from shared anything now. (My exception being Blue Diamond crackers, they say they test every batch and they haven't made me sick yet.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
HoosierMother Newbie

If I read that there's a possible chance of contamination I usually pass on it...

Oscar Apprentice

If I read that there's a possible chance of contamination I usually pass on it...

If I did that, I would starve to death. There is ALWAYS a possible chance of contamination. In everything. That's life. Careful I am--obsessed I am not.

If I did that, I would starve to death. There is ALWAYS a possible chance of contamination. In everything. That's life. Careful I am--obsessed I am not.

I completely agree with this one.. Here I am up at 4 am after eating out at a restaurant that I have ate at and had the exact same meal atleast 4 times this month and didn't have any issues before, then went to the movies, brought my own snacks and still got sick. It might be nerves but at this point I am still up at 4 am wishing I could puke and get over with it.

cavernio Enthusiast

I was just wondering this, how picky I should be with food manufactured where wheat is. My thing is that I don't have any sort of immediate symptoms of eating gluten (that I can tell at least), but I still know that I will be getting damaged. I almost wish I had an immediate reaction to it so that I would know for sure what products and restaurants to avoid; all those things that should be gluten free but for some reason aren't, I just won't know.

I want to be picky about what I'll eat, I really do because I really want to feel NORMAL again, but it feels dumb and pointless for me to worry about a chocolate bar that may have traces of wheat on it, when in my own home there's chances for traces of wheat on everything too since my bf isn't gluten free.

It's frustrating because I will probably heem and haw over how cautious I'm going to be for the rest of my life, and it'll change from one year to the next I'm sure.

user853 Apprentice

I was just wondering this, how picky I should be with food manufactured where wheat is. My thing is that I don't have any sort of immediate symptoms of eating gluten (that I can tell at least), but I still know that I will be getting damaged. I almost wish I had an immediate reaction to it so that I would know for sure what products and restaurants to avoid; all those things that should be gluten free but for some reason aren't, I just won't know.

I want to be picky about what I'll eat, I really do because I really want to feel NORMAL again, but it feels dumb and pointless for me to worry about a chocolate bar that may have traces of wheat on it, when in my own home there's chances for traces of wheat on everything too since my bf isn't gluten free.

It's frustrating because I will probably heem and haw over how cautious I'm going to be for the rest of my life, and it'll change from one year to the next I'm sure.

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! I am the same way. I have no idea how careful I have to be. I do have symptoms (tingling), but not right away, and it is really hard to pinpoint what the culprit is. Besides that, I do feel - mentally - a million times better being gluten-free. However, is the accidental glutening or cc going to reverse that? I don't know. Frustrating.

I so wish that I could be able to eat as if I didn't have issues with food. My husband eats anything. He is being respectful and doesn't eat anything with a large about of Gluten in front of me.

I wish there was a place that I could go eat and not worry about what I am eating or buying has Gluten flour. I always thought it would suck if I had a nut or chocolate allergy. Now I have a idea of it and it doesn't just suck it really Sucks!

• 4 weeks later...
melikamaui Explorer

My youngest is sensitive to most products we've tried that have"shared equipment" with wheat. I don't seem to be bothered by it, and neither does my oldest (all of us have celiac disease). But because of my little one we don't buy products that are made on shared equipment.

I was sensitive to them the first little while I am now not as sensitive to the "trace amounts" Clearly I wouldn't buy something that says that it may contain, or has trace amounts of gluten but with even my clean dishes at home, that I cleaned and soaked after finding out that I am GI. I dont have any issues anything made in my now gluten free kitchen. The only thing in my house is canned soups that are heated in the microwave, and a loaf of bread for my hubby to make a sandwich.

mushroom Proficient

I start out with the positive attitude that if it is made on the same lines, they have thoroughly cleaned the lines; and that if it is made in the same facility as, they make every effort to avoid cross-contamination; For those of you who do not know you have been glutened this system would not work, and I don't know how to advise (although if you are having tingling or brain fog, you probably need to tighten up), but for me I pretty soon know if the cleaning or the product segregation has been successful. I seldom have problems. One product I cannot eat for some reason is Rice Chex, which by all rights should be okay for me. Another I do not eat is anything made by Amy's, which used to be a pre-gluten-free standby for me, but they are not careful enough for my level of sensitivity..

Archived