11 replies to this topic

#1 Ntheodo1

Ntheodo1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I am 7 weeks pregnant and got diagnosed with Celiac the same day I found out I was pregnant (3 weeks ago). I am really nauseated, and being new to the world of Celiac, I don't know what to eat that might help alleviate the nausea. Any advice of foods, brands, etc. would be much appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Have you read this thread?

http://www.celiac.co...364#entry788364

Wow, I can't imagine hearing two life altering dx's the same day. Wow.

Well, if you look on the main page of Celiac.com you'll find lots of links on the left banner - just start reading. There's a list of safe/unsafe food ingredients that will help you at the grocery store.

You'll probably develop your tastes around what is available in your area. I suggest raiding the local grocery stores first, then go to a Whole Foods or natural foods store.

Shopping can be a bit challenging at first til you learn the what's/wheres.

Read through the forums, ask lots of questions.

And CONGRATULATIONS and welcome!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

When I was pregnant, small, frequent snacks helped keep things at bay as did "dry foods" - many of which I couldn't have now. LOL Maybe dry gluten-free cereal if you can have that? Baked potatoes and scrambled eggs helped me too. Ginger tea is nice too - you can drink it warm or iced. I lost a lot of weight the first trimester because of morning sickness so I snacked whenever I could.

Congrats!!
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#4 GFceliacgirl

GFceliacgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

All three pregnancies I struggled with extreme nausea and looked and felt like I had the flu my entire pregnancy. My doctor had to put me on Zofran so that I could keep down food and not feel sick all day. None of the other suddel remedies worked for me. Hopefully it will pass for you.

#5 LindsayS

LindsayS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

Make sure you pack snacks from home every time you go somewhere. Nibbling on food definitely has helped me combat the sick feeling. Grapes have been good for me or rice crackers with peanut butter. Being pregnant and gluten-free, you (unfortunately) need to find some processed gluten-free items at the store like crackers and bread. I have been eating udi bread because I have been constantly craving sandwiches. I also eat Lara bars and keep them in my purse. You can make them at home cheaper than you can buy them. Just google lara bar recipe at home. I make sure to make things like gluten-free muffins and oatmeal cookies and pack those too and have them to grab at home when I am starving. Let's fave it- pregnancy makes you crave carbs. Good luck and hang in there. It will get easier with time. I too, realized with this pregnancy that I cannot tolerate ANY gluten and I suspect celiac. I had been almost gluten-free before I became pregnant but cheated once a week. Now I can't cheat at all without serious consequences.

#6 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I am 10 weeks pregnant and there are a few things I always have handy. First is ginger ale. This is a life saver and has helped me soooo much! Second I have snacks on hand all the time. It seems that grazing or munching on small bunches of food helps than trying to eat meals. I usually have rice cakes or trail mix on hand. I like the trail mix because it gives me some protein so I usually feel a little fuller without eating much.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#7 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

I was nauseated most of my pregnancy most of my waking time - and I am wondering, if it had anything to do with glutein. The thing I could handle was fruit. I love cucumbers, and coudn't even look at them, when I was pregnant. The thing that helped a bit was sucking on the lemon, but it can't be good for the teeth, so rinse them often...

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Others have given all excellent advice -- one other thing that helped my extreme nausea during my pregnancies was wrist bands you can purchase at the pharmacy -- they are called "seabands" and are made to prevent sea sickness by putting pressure on a point inside your wrist. I wore them 24 hours a day once my husband brought them home - didn't prevent all nausea but I was able to keep some food down.
-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

along with input from the best medical professionals you can find.

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Small dabs of protein helped my nausea at bay. Also, the delivery of a healthy baby cured me of it. This too must pass I used to tell myself. I didn't enjoy the nausea, but I was sure glad to have the baby. Five of my extremely nauseating pregancies ended with the birth of a healthy baby. It is uncomfortable, you are sick, but all can be well with the baby inspite of it. I use to worry the baby would be damaged by my inability to eat, but they can be fine and healthy and I don't understand it!

Get well soon, and I would like to send you some flowers.**************** There.* Get well soon and have a great brithday party one day.

DT

#10 nomoregluten

nomoregluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

multiple meals a day instead of 3 big ones helped me a lot too, like krystyn.

#11 arocchio

arocchio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

7 weeks as well.  I had two miscarriages this year.  After being gluten free conception as easy and now I feel TERRIBLY sick, and dizzy, and out of breath.  And I am thrilled.  Just remember that the nausea is a sign that your hormones are going crazy to facilitate a life growing inside you. And this makes you feel icky.  I have found that citrus had been helping me.  and Juicing.  Good luck.  and congratulations.  

#12 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I guess the original post here, the baby has come by now.  My Functional Medicine, health care nurse told me that nausea and vomiting in pregnancy is due to low magnesium.  Any of us have that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: