8 replies to this topic

#1 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Just recently diagnosed (confirmed blood test and biopsy) with celiac. I am wondering if any of these symptoms I have been experiencing are characteristic of celiac:

-Edema (swelling/fluid retention) that seems to get worse after eating/drinking fluid
-Warts (on the hand) never had them growing up, until about a year ago. In the past few months they have spread and grown rapidly

Does anyone know if these are typical? I've been on a gluten-free diet for about a week now (strict) and the edema has it's moments where it improves, but I am yet to see relief. I am starting to worry it's associated with something else like a candida infection. I am worried I need to further limit my diet? Any input or experiences greatly appreciated, thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

They're not characteristic but celiac can cause all sorts of crazy stuff. Give the diet more time. You have to get rid of the autoimmune antibodies, then your intestine has to heal. Complete recovery can actually take years if there is a lot of damage. Symptoms usually improve at least to some degree after a couple months on the diet.

#3 Kamma

Kamma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Emilem,

Something to consider: I had/have the swelling in my hands, face and ankles. I was recently tested positive for albumin (protein) in the urine which is a sign of kidney disease. Edema is also a symptom of kidney dysfunction.

You might want to ask your doctor to check your protein levels in your serum and urine.

#4 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have actually had these checked out and no protein in urine which rules out kidney disease, yet the edema still persists :/

Emilem,

Something to consider: I had/have the swelling in my hands, face and ankles. I was recently tested positive for albumin (protein) in the urine which is a sign of kidney disease. Edema is also a symptom of kidney dysfunction.

You might want to ask your doctor to check your protein levels in your serum and urine.

#5 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I have actually had these checked out and no protein in urine which rules out kidney disease, yet the edema still persists :/

I'm glad that protein in the urine has been ruled out for you. :)

One of the other things that I have heard people mention is hypothroidism causing edema. Plus, problems with the thyroid is very common in people with celiac.

#6 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've had thyroid checked as well..... negative :/ i wish i could figure out what's going on ...

I'm glad that protein in the urine has been ruled out for you. :)

One of the other things that I have heard people mention is hypothroidism causing edema. Plus, problems with the thyroid is very common in people with celiac.

#7 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

I know my aunt who is celiac was swelled up like a cartoon fat person her edema was so bad. Even her SCALP was swollen and squishy. Once she went gluten free it was like someone stuck a pin in her. Gluten can DEFINITELY cause edema. Warts? I dunno. But nothing aout celiac surpises me anymore. If someone said they grew two heads from gluten, I wouldn't doubt them!

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Just recently diagnosed (confirmed blood test and biopsy) with celiac. I am wondering if any of these symptoms I have been experiencing are characteristic of celiac:

-Edema (swelling/fluid retention) that seems to get worse after eating/drinking fluid
-Warts (on the hand) never had them growing up, until about a year ago. In the past few months they have spread and grown rapidly

Does anyone know if these are typical? I've been on a gluten-free diet for about a week now (strict) and the edema has it's moments where it improves, but I am yet to see relief. I am starting to worry it's associated with something else like a candida infection. I am worried I need to further limit my diet? Any input or experiences greatly appreciated, thanks!

" Common in Celiac patients.
Edema is characterized by excess extracellular fluid volume. Reduction in plasma proteins and malnutrition in celiac disease cause edema by failing to provide colloid osmotic pressure sufficient to prevent loss of plasma from capilaries into tissues.

Results from low plasma proteins, multiple micronutrient deficiencies, and vitamin C in lower limb edema.

Resolves on a gluten-free diet. Deficiencies that can contribute: copper, EPA, Protein,and vitamins B1, C, K."

From the book Recognizing Celiac Disease by Cleo Libonati

I see no connection to warts, but if your immune system is over taxed it *could* be contributing IMO? I had trouble with skin cancers before going gluten-free so I know Celiac can do weird things to your skin.

Don't restrict your fluids. Be sure to be strict with the gluten-free diet. Maybe add a bit of protein at each meal, or as snacks? (Nuts, hard boiled eggs are good for this) Be sure you're getting enough vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin should cover the others? As you heal, you'll absorb things better and should see improvement.
Best wishes!

#9 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

WOW! So much great info..I was beginning to lose hope. Thanks for taking time to provide such helpful info.

" Common in Celiac patients.
Edema is characterized by excess extracellular fluid volume. Reduction in plasma proteins and malnutrition in celiac disease cause edema by failing to provide colloid osmotic pressure sufficient to prevent loss of plasma from capilaries into tissues.

Results from low plasma proteins, multiple micronutrient deficiencies, and vitamin C in lower limb edema.

Resolves on a gluten-free diet. Deficiencies that can contribute: copper, EPA, Protein,and vitamins B1, C, K."

From the book Recognizing Celiac Disease by Cleo Libonati

I see no connection to warts, but if your immune system is over taxed it *could* be contributing IMO? I had trouble with skin cancers before going gluten-free so I know Celiac can do weird things to your skin.

Don't restrict your fluids. Be sure to be strict with the gluten-free diet. Maybe add a bit of protein at each meal, or as snacks? (Nuts, hard boiled eggs are good for this) Be sure you're getting enough vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin should cover the others? As you heal, you'll absorb things better and should see improvement.
Best wishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: