This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ttc

horsemom

horsemom Newbie

Hi

Im new here and so glad to have found this forum.

I have been ttc for 2plus years and have just done 6mths of fertility treatments with no results.

I have slightly low FSH but am pretty much considered unexplained fertility.

My mother has suggested I try a blood test for Celiac. My grandfather has it and my mother is Gluten Intolerant.

Tomorrow I go for that blood test. Regardless of the result, I am going to go Gluten free.

I have been researching this more and more and it makes so much sense. Im a health nut so it doesn't phase me to eat gluten-free.

Has anyone had a gluten issue linked to fertility troubles.

I have severe period pains, numbness and tingling down my neck and arms sometimes.

That is about my only real symptoms. I do not fit the profile of a celiac but you never know.

I do have severe seasonal allergies so am interested to see if they subside by going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

upwitht21 Rookie

We did 10 cycles of fertility meds....diagnosed with celiacs in November and accidently got pregnant in January (didn't stick). Can I say without a doubt celiacs caused fertility issues...no but seems like it affected something

Good luck

raea2002 Apprentice

I don't know but wishing you luck.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hi

Im new here and so glad to have found this forum.

I have been ttc for 2plus years and have just done 6mths of fertility treatments with no results.

I have slightly low FSH but am pretty much considered unexplained fertility.

My mother has suggested I try a blood test for Celiac. My grandfather has it and my mother is Gluten Intolerant.

Tomorrow I go for that blood test. Regardless of the result, I am going to go Gluten free.

I have been researching this more and more and it makes so much sense. Im a health nut so it doesn't phase me to eat gluten-free.

Has anyone had a gluten issue linked to fertility troubles.

I have severe period pains, numbness and tingling down my neck and arms sometimes.

That is about my only real symptoms. I do not fit the profile of a celiac but you never know.

I do have severe seasonal allergies so am interested to see if they subside by going gluten free.

Everyone fits the profile of a Celiac. You don't even have to have symptoms to have Celiac. The numbness, tingling, and problem periods are frequent complaints of Celiac.

I personally have seen a dramatic reduction in seasonal allergies since going gluten free, and I do know that a good number of people have seen success in conceiving when they were previously unable to, after gluten free. Here's hoping, right? :)

jigsawfallingintoplace Newbie

hello and welcome :) :)

I had an ectopic and a miscarriage - both took a long time to concieve.

Followed by 2 plus years of unexplained infertility, very painful and highly irregular periods (one every 45-60 days)

Had 6 months of clomid - no success.

At 40 got to top of ivf list but decided not to go through with it and be childfree by cholce (it has been a long and tearful journey over 10 years and we had had enough)

I am self diagnosed celiac at 42 and since going gluten free all symptoms have gone - i had the tingling and numbness you describe too.

My periods have returned to every 28 days - the first time in 20 years!

I may have felt differently if I was younger but now I have come to terms with being childfree through choice but I do strongly believe that celiac was the cause of my losses and UI and I am sad that it was never investigated.

There is a call that all unexplained Infertility patients are automatically tested for celiac (oxford medical journal) but as yet, i am sure many ladies are celiac and dont know that this is the cause.

Good Luck and like someone else said , there are many successful stories of motherhood after going gluten-free!

addis001 Apprentice

i had my first son fine (concieved on first try), but looking back I was on a diet of fish, vegetables, fruits, chicken, etc.. because my parents eat super healthy, and I was back with them until husband could find a job when school was over.

I had weird pains etc while preggo.. Then after I had him, I had SEVERE fatigue, and other symptoms. Then about at 8 months old, I was vomitting, pain, diarreah, unexplained other things just once in awhile.. So when he is 20 months old, we were TTC and my symptoms were getting worse, to the point of everyother day. It was hard getting preggo.. No positives at all..Periods were short and sporadic.. it was bad.. So I went to doctor after doctor..

My grandmother has celiac, my aunt has celiac, my other aunt is gluten sensitive, My mom is sensitive.. So I decided after 1000 dollars in medical procedures to go gluten free... A Month after going gluten free, we got pregnant.. I'm at 15 weeks now and going strong..

If you've had strong symptoms for 2 plus years you might have more damage than me.. and you might want to wait a few more months before TTC.. I've heard of others that have a ton of damage they tend to miscarry more because their body is still repairing itself.. and when your preggo your immune system is suppressed so your body will accept the fetus..It can't do that and repair at the same time sometimes... Just a thought but its up to you..

• 3 weeks later...
deb445 Rookie

Horsemom

Welcome to the forum, and I am hopeful for you ...

In hindsight, after trying to start our family for years, and suffering loss (ectopic pregnancy)...I finally got pregnant again when I was on vacation, eating fresh veggies, fruit and lots of fish. I carried my little gluten sensitive guy to term. :D

Since being glutenfree, my cycles have been significantly less painful. Recently, cutting out corn (coincidence? too soon to tell) I was completely painfree, and no bloating/inflammation.

I think there is a connection...good luck to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
holland Newbie

Yes, I have [had] fertility problems because of it..

We saw an 'expert' but they couldn't figure out what was going on.. we don't want to do the IVF because to us, if it's meant to be, it'll happen...

I've lost one officially (meaning I had a positive on the test) and I know I lost at least 3 others (unofficially - no positive; but I just knew I was) and during all those times (over 19 years) I was gluten intolerant and I didn't even know it. I just recently (2 years ago; with my last pregnancy - the one I had the positive) I found out that I am... and yes, it can cause problems getting pregnant and even staying pregnant.

Even before they found out what the problem was, they took out my gallbladder.. that helped some (it was problematic), but with me, the damage is/was pretty bad.. :(

Just recently (2 months) have been completely gluten free. When I was told, I wasn't sure where to turn... at the time, I was a junk food-aholic! I had to have me those brownies!!... cakes, crap like that; basically, just that, crap. Things women love during those hormone peaks.. you know... my chocolate!! anyway... lol...

during those times, I would feel like crap.. wore down, wore out and put away wet type of thing...

so my doctor told me "stop the gluten.. and after a bit, maybe months, maybe it'll happen.. if the damage isn't too great" so I've been off gluten for 2 months.. still going strong (even though I sometimes miss what my husband eats (bastard! lol) ice cream, cake.. (my sons birthday was recently so...) but anyway, I'm taking my vitamins (folic acid, iron..etc) just in case I do end up pregnant.. and other vitamins from the foods I can't eat...

I haven't eaten Gluten for these 2 months, I feel sooooo much better... and just the other night, I took a drink of something that had malt in it and immediately, even before I found out it did, my mouth was like "GROSS!".. and then I got sick... so I think my body is trying to tell me "thank you so much for keeping me clean.. I don't need that crap!"

anyway, good luck! stay Gluten Free... and if it's meant to be, it'll happen! :)

• 3 weeks later...
pinkscooby6 Rookie

So, I have been having the same issues. My husband and I started trying to conceive in December 2011, we were successful the first month, but then miscarried at 5.5 weeks, heart broken. Haven't been able to conceive since. Now I haven't had a cycle for 52 days, but the urine tests are saying negative! All of my vitamin levels are normal, so I don't know why I am late. Have any of you had this happen?

• 3 weeks later...
upwitht21 Rookie

I wanted to update my previous comment to state it absolutely causes fertility problems.....

We did 10 cycles of fertility meds with zero success. When I got diagnosed and went gluten free I got pregnant the first month we tried literally "trying" once (hubby had just had back surgery) we miscarried at 9 weeks in march.

I just found out I am pregnant again (wow that sounds crazy seeing it out loud).... Absolutely without a doubt gluten caused the problem.

Pinkscooby6, how long have you been gluten free? I have long cycles and the endocrinologist I used to see recommends doing a month of birth control and 3 months off. Its suppose to help regulate your cycles.

Archived