1 reply to this topic

#1 mirdin

mirdin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I've been experimenting with my own gluten free mixes, and I'm having trouble with thinner baked goods (waffle/wafer type) holding their shape, because of continued moisture absorption. I don't have this problem with regular wheat flour.

I understand starches retain and absorb moisture. I found that tapioca starch seems to aborb moisture the most, corn and potato starch less so.

I've been using a combination of white/brown rice flour and different starches + some xanthan gum/guar gum. I've tried over a dozen different versions. The less the amount of starches I use the better the shape holds, but the texture is not chewy and firm.

Right after baking everything is fine. After a day or so I can already see 'swelling', due to moisture being absorbed. Is there an easy way to combat this?

I don't mind moisture being trapped to prevent staleness, but it seems that the more time goes by the more moisture is being absorbed.

I've never tried the gluten-free flour mixes from the stores, but when I look at the King Arthur ones, it seems be mostly tapioca and potato starch as well.

Are there certain ingredients (stabilizers, emulsifiers?) that I could use to combat this issue? I would greatly appreciate your insights!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 auzzi

auzzi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

What proportions of what starches and flours are you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: