34 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I donated blood yesterday. I was anemic last time, so I couldn't donate. This time my hemoglobin was 12.8...which is still a little low. I think they require it to be at least 12.5. Today I feel exhausted. I am pretty sure it's from donating. I like donating because I know the American Red Cross is always needing donors and I have a rare blood type. Does anyone here donate blood routinely? i don't think I can do it very often due to a low hgb....and the exhaustion that follows.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Also, I take iron and vitamin supplements

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I used to, but then couldn't when I became anemic. I did once, post-everything-fixed, but the guy did such a horrible job at the needle stick I haven't been back. My iron was back up to normal for me, and I didn't really feel all that tired.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I use to donate blood fairly regular, but I got a letter from Red Cross not to donate again back in 1994.. They went on to say they had destroyed my last 3 donations... My Doc couldn't figure out any issue other then a high liver enzyne count... In 09 I was diagnosed with DH and went gluten-free... All Liver Function tests are normal now.. Several months back I tried to contact Red Cross several times about donating again... Each time I ended up on Hold for 30 plus minutes and then click before I could even talk to a person... Looks like I'm a retired donor...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

The first time I donated, I fainted afterwards. Embarrassing.

I tried to donate a few years ago and because I was anemic, they turned me down. :(

I will try again, in time, but I have "lousy veins" and the phlebotomist always starts to sweat when she cannot get the stick just right at first or the second time or the third.....

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sometimes I would fail the anemia test. When I did donate, I still found it very draining. After I almost passed out after one donation the Red Cross suggested I stop because it was harder on me than they preferred to see.

#7 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

I felt fine right afterward. I have good veins. But today I am exhausted and I know it's from the donation. I will probably only donate twice a year...they call me every 3 months lately...feels like an annoying salesman sometimes. :(

#8 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I have donated blood, actually only after going gluten free. I did feel weak the next day the first couple times. And still a little now. But I put up with it. Are you making sure to stay hydrated (both before and after) and eating well? Those are important.

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

I've been turned down more times for being anemic than I can count. The exhaustion after donating is just too much right now. I always have had some one to drive me home after donation too, just in case I pass out.
Michigan

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

I've donated a few times. I kept getting turned away for a while, have been thinking about going again now that I've been suplementing for a while with iron. My veins are so easy I could probably do the needle myself. It does leave me dizzy for a day or two. I don't mind so much. i just plan ahead for when I'll have a few days of downtime.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

I wonder if there is any chance of people becoming celiac by using our blood? We would have the trained antibodies to gluten in our blood, and it seems like it would not be impossible for those to influence a persons own antibodies in the celiac direction. Just curious if anyone has heard or read anything about this. Could we spread celiac through blood?
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

I wonder if there is any chance of people becoming celiac by using our blood?

:o
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Celiac is not communicable via blood transfusions.

Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research states this emphatically on their website.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#13 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

:o
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Celiac is not communicable via blood transfusions.

Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research states this emphatically on their website.

But can blood donated from a person that ate gluten cause a reaction in one with Celiac/DH ???
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

But can blood donated from a person that ate gluten cause a reaction in one with Celiac/DH ???

I don't possibly see HOW? :blink:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

That's why it gets digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: