Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Donating Blood

35 posts in this topic

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too. Either way, I don't give your chances of living as more than 2 weeks.

I have seen info about leaky gut, but that is not about holes so large that recognizable food can pass through. Do you have some reputable info about this?

Ads by Google:

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too.

AAAND there is ............! yeah, what she said!!

thanks, K!

Sounds like blood from a donor that ate Gluten could set off DH, in one that has DH...

This sort of speculation isn't terribly useful. If you are in a position to be needing whole blood, hypothetical traces of gluten peptides would be the least of your worries.

This sort of speculation isn't terribly useful. If you are in a position to be needing whole blood, hypothetical traces of gluten peptides would be the least of your worries.

Thank you, Sky.

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too. Either way, I don't give your chances of living as more than 2 weeks.

I have seen info about leaky gut, but that is not about holes so large that recognizable food can pass through. Do you have some reputable info about this?

Thank you! This is what I was attempting to say but couldn't nearly get it out as clearly as you have. :)

Thanks! I intended to say that but forgot!

I still would like to see some reputable source of the info when a person makes these " unusual" statements.

Gluten, or any food for that matter, does not necessarily get digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. That is only what is supposed to happen. I have been shown partially digested fragments of food in my blood, under a microscope. That's from a leaky gut, with a lot of damage. People can have a leaky gut from other things, like a medication, I've been told. I've also been told, by a doctor addressing a local Gluten Intolerance Group meeting, that people don't fully digest wheat, barley, rye or oats, because some of the proteins are just too large and complex. It only takes a small fraction of a gluten molecule to cause a celiac reaction. There are multiple short chain peptides of gliadin, sequences of only 4 or 5 amino acids that can cause a reaction. There are multiple instances of each of these several peptides in one gliadin molecule. Partial digestion can make these peptides more available for our immune system to react to.:unsure:

Joe, you have a lot to say, in many topics here. But you never cite a source for your assertions. How do we know you are not just making things up? As I understand the rules here, you can express an opinion (noted as such), or can cite a valid source to justify a proven fact. You do neither. Perhaps you are still under the influence of gluten. Who knows? I don't. :unsure:

Good gravy, folks. Undigested food particles in your bloodstream? Passing celiac along in a blood transfusion? Things are getting mighty weird here.

richard

Joe, you have a lot to say, in many topics here. But you never cite a source for your assertions. How do we know you are not just making things up? As I understand the rules here, you can express an opinion (noted as such), or can cite a valid source to justify a proven fact. You do neither. Perhaps you are still under the influence of gluten. Who knows? I don't. :unsure:

HEY!! HEY!! You're supposed to be having fun when you show up here!!! Quick, let's get back to the vampires topic!

Gluten, or any food for that matter, does not necessarily get digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. That is only what is supposed to happen. I have been shown partially digested fragments of food in my blood, under a microscope. That's from a leaky gut, with a lot of damage.

Joe....I am sorry you were taken so badly by whatever physician claims to have shown you this. This is complete and utter hogwash.

My sister works for a major hospital in Boston and has for close to 40 years. She has worked in the transplant unit and in most of the labs in the hospital so she has experience in these matters. She's a blood expert, or as close to one as it gets. Celiacs and those with multiple autoimmune issues are often refused blood donating because they are either anemic or they have too many autoimmune problems. I guess once you trip for more than 1 AI disease, they do not like to take your blood. That made sense to me because anyone with multiples (like myself), is usually putting a lot of effort into staying healthy and losing a pint of blood might affect that. It weakens you for a few days. You need to be robust to donate blood. I have never donated and never will be able to because I often don't make the weight requirement and I have 4 AI diseases.