34 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's why it gets digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. :)

That's right, things do not go directly from your stomach to your bloodstream. Which is why some supplements are sublingual, because it gets into your blood better as a specially formulated liquid under your tongue than it does in your stomach.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

:o
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Celiac is not communicable via blood transfusions.

Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research states this emphatically on their website.

Hmm, ok, what about vampires then? Would our blood kill vampires?
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hmm, ok, what about vampires then? Would our blood kill vampires?

Since the majority of us are battling anemia,
the vampire would probably spit it out and scream
"Blech! what the hell is this crap!? :blink:
Where's the good stuff?"

:D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Since the majority of us are battling anemia,
the vampire would probably spit it out and scream
"Blech! what the hell is this crap!? :blink:
Where's the good stuff?"

:lol: :lol:

I always feel like I am going to pass out when they take it.
I mean just walking in to my endo's office I give 6 to 8 tubes. I do not have that much left on any given day :P

My blood type is uncommon (AB) and for years I gave blood regularly. They would call and remind me that enough time had passed and I could give again. :lol:

Then they reluctantly started to decline my blood.

I no longer give blood.With my recent liver issues and other problems they will not except my blood. I an not sure it would do any one any good any way :huh:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#20 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if there is any chance of people becoming celiac by using our blood? We would have the trained antibodies to gluten in our blood, and it seems like it would not be impossible for those to influence a persons own antibodies in the celiac direction. Just curious if anyone has heard or read anything about this. Could we spread celiac through blood?

Of course not!! I asked before I donated, just to make sure.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#21 JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

That's why it gets digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. :)

Gluten, or any food for that matter, does not necessarily get digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. That is only what is supposed to happen. I have been shown partially digested fragments of food in my blood, under a microscope. That's from a leaky gut, with a lot of damage. People can have a leaky gut from other things, like a medication, I've been told. I've also been told, by a doctor addressing a local Gluten Intolerance Group meeting, that people don't fully digest wheat, barley, rye or oats, because some of the proteins are just too large and complex. It only takes a small fraction of a gluten molecule to cause a celiac reaction. There are multiple short chain peptides of gliadin, sequences of only 4 or 5 amino acids that can cause a reaction. There are multiple instances of each of these several peptides in one gliadin molecule. Partial digestion can make these peptides more available for our immune system to react to.:unsure:
JoeBlow

Gluten-free,Dairy-free 08/06/07, Sugar-free since 1980
Diagnosed Celiac 09/29/07, HLA-DQB1s 0201, 0602

#22 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Gluten, or any food for that matter, does not necessarily get digested and metabolized before entering the blood stream. That is only what is supposed to happen. I have been shown partially digested fragments of food in my blood, under a microscope. That's from a leaky gut, with a lot of damage. People can have a leaky gut from other things, like a medication, I've been told. I've also been told, by a doctor addressing a local Gluten Intolerance Group meeting, that people don't fully digest wheat, barley, rye or oats, because some of the proteins are just too large and complex. It only takes a small fraction of a gluten molecule to cause a celiac reaction. There are multiple short chain peptides of gliadin, sequences of only 4 or 5 amino acids that can cause a reaction. There are multiple instances of each of these several peptides in one gliadin molecule. Partial digestion can make these peptides more available for our immune system to react to.:unsure:

Sounds like blood from a donor that ate Gluten could set off DH, in one that has DH...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Whoa, what a second.... :)

One more time:

Celiac is not communicable via blood transfusions.
People who eat gluten cannot "contaminate" us.

Univ. of Maryland Center for Celiac Research states this emphatically on their website.

Do you really think that we would be allowed to donate or receive a blood transfusion if it were a HEALTH HAZARD??

Read a medical journal to see how the digestive process works for you to have an autoimmune reaction to gluten when you have Celiac.

Please, guys.... let's not get all crazy over this NON-ISSUE.

We have enough bogus crap/ myths to bust on this site. :P

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sounds like blood from a donor that ate Gluten could set off DH, in one that has DH...

Capt. honestly..... I would not make that statement, based on one person's post.

that is not how the gluten antibodies OR the digestive system works.

Please read this:

http://digestive.nid...es/pubs/celiac/

I have seen NO medical evidence supporting any of this.... Have you?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Do you have any articles you could direct me to, to substantiate these statements? This thread indirectly deals with the digestion of gluten proteins...if you are interested. :)

As far as donation and the above logic – I don't know many newly or un-dx'ed Celiac's who would be up to giving blood (presumably the less recently dx'ed ones would have less damage due to the healing). :P

My 3 cents (inflation!). B)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#26 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too. Either way, I don't give your chances of living as more than 2 weeks.

I have seen info about leaky gut, but that is not about holes so large that recognizable food can pass through. Do you have some reputable info about this?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too.

AAAND there is ............! yeah, what she said!!

thanks, K!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

This sort of speculation isn't terribly useful. If you are in a position to be needing whole blood, hypothetical traces of gluten peptides would be the least of your worries.

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

This sort of speculation isn't terribly useful. If you are in a position to be needing whole blood, hypothetical traces of gluten peptides would be the least of your worries.

Thank you, Sky.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

The thought of undigested food particles , large enough you can tell they are bread or lettuce in the blood, seems incredible. They would clog up your small blood vessels causing small parts of your body to die. The strokes this would cause in your brain alone, should have you unable to post here with in days. If the holes in the intestines were so large as to let food chunks go thru, I would think you would have peritonitis, too. Either way, I don't give your chances of living as more than 2 weeks.

I have seen info about leaky gut, but that is not about holes so large that recognizable food can pass through. Do you have some reputable info about this?

Thank you! This is what I was attempting to say but couldn't nearly get it out as clearly as you have. :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: