#1 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm starving.

OK, we have done the gluten-free before - it was OK. We just got test results back and need to be strict gluten-free again. That also included no shellfish, no milk products, no eggs, no peanuts, no almonds, and none of the gluten products including oats. We haven't even got all the kid's results back in yet. I'm pretty must used to a diet of eggs, oats and peanut/nuts so my snackie standbys are gone.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

What about other nuts and seeds?

Lunch meat, popcorn (son loves that), smoothies (make a bunch and freeze), fruit, veggies.

Look for gluten-free recipes on Pinterest. You'll find lots of bloggers that way. Lots of ideas.

There's even a chocolate chip cookie dough recipe using beans. And tgey say it's good. It's on my "too weird not to try" list.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I was shocked, but my local Wal-Mart is carrying a few Enjoy life products at very reasonable prices. Their snacks are produced in a dedicated facility, are palatable (I'm picky, so take that with a grain of salt, some of them have been downright good) and they are all free of the 8 top allergens.

It had been awhile since I'd shopped there and didn't have a cart. I ended up carrying everything I could hold in my arms to the check out.

For snacks, if you can tolerate bean dips, you can make hummus from chick peas or cannelloni beans for dipping with fresh veggie sticks or corn chips (if you can handle corn).

If you can grow your own basil (it just takes a small pot and some sunlight and water), you can make your own nutfree pesto. That's great on a gluten-free pizza crust with olive oil or spread on a piece of gluten-free ham and rolled up. I love Against the Grain Bagels, they don't need butter, love them with strawberry jam or a variety of toppings (for special occasions, smoked salmon and capers). Against the Grain's website has a vendor locator, but do follow their advice and call first.

Sometimes I nuke a pre-roasted sweet potato for a snack and it's just right.

I make buckwheat pancakes and freeze some for snacks. You can nuke those briefly (or toast them) and have them with fresh fruit and maple syrup. I can tolerate them with eggs, but you can use an egg substitute.

Good luck, hope that helps.

And you might be able to tolerate cashews and macadamia nuts, they're from a different food family than nuts.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

I'n nut, soy,tomato, gluten-free oats and gltuen free of course. I eat very little milk products. I eat veggies and fruit a lot that I can handle. I've found two natural lines of dressings I use, if you're interested I'll let you know, without the bottle in front of me, I'd misspell.

I eat humus spread on rice cakes. Carrot sticks dipped in a few things. Pickles...Sometimes a chip I can have and popcorn. Some all natural fruit sticks and gummies. I found a cracker by cruchmaster that is nut free. I also think of half a sandwich if you can tolerate what the bread is made of. Soup is also another snack idea. I no longer think of a snack as the "typical" snack food. I've seen alot of dairy free, nut free recipes on Pinterst lately.

Good luck to you!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#5 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

gluten-free Vegetarian No-Processed Soy Low-Dairy Low-Egg here.. So, I feel you on being hungry and not knowing what to make! (omg! no almonds! my life would be so OVER!)

Check out this cookbook (allergen and gluten free). http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Welcoming-Kitchen-Delicious-Allergen-Gluten-Free/dp/1402771851 I borrowed it from the library and found some good recipes in it.

For snacks.. prunes (love them), popcorn, veggies and hummus, kale chips (yum!), dried fruits, soynut butter instead of peanut butter.

Breakfast... quinoa quinoa quinoa!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: