This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Girl Needs Some Ideas

Mom23boys

Mom23boys Contributor

I'm starving.

OK, we have done the gluten-free before - it was OK. We just got test results back and need to be strict gluten-free again. That also included no shellfish, no milk products, no eggs, no peanuts, no almonds, and none of the gluten products including oats. We haven't even got all the kid's results back in yet. I'm pretty must used to a diet of eggs, oats and peanut/nuts so my snackie standbys are gone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

What about other nuts and seeds?

Lunch meat, popcorn (son loves that), smoothies (make a bunch and freeze), fruit, veggies.

Look for gluten-free recipes on Pinterest. You'll find lots of bloggers that way. Lots of ideas.

There's even a chocolate chip cookie dough recipe using beans. And tgey say it's good. It's on my "too weird not to try" list.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I was shocked, but my local Wal-Mart is carrying a few Enjoy life products at very reasonable prices. Their snacks are produced in a dedicated facility, are palatable (I'm picky, so take that with a grain of salt, some of them have been downright good) and they are all free of the 8 top allergens.

It had been awhile since I'd shopped there and didn't have a cart. I ended up carrying everything I could hold in my arms to the check out.

For snacks, if you can tolerate bean dips, you can make hummus from chick peas or cannelloni beans for dipping with fresh veggie sticks or corn chips (if you can handle corn).

If you can grow your own basil (it just takes a small pot and some sunlight and water), you can make your own nutfree pesto. That's great on a gluten-free pizza crust with olive oil or spread on a piece of gluten-free ham and rolled up. I love Against the Grain Bagels, they don't need butter, love them with strawberry jam or a variety of toppings (for special occasions, smoked salmon and capers). Against the Grain's website has a vendor locator, but do follow their advice and call first.

Sometimes I nuke a pre-roasted sweet potato for a snack and it's just right.

I make buckwheat pancakes and freeze some for snacks. You can nuke those briefly (or toast them) and have them with fresh fruit and maple syrup. I can tolerate them with eggs, but you can use an egg substitute.

Good luck, hope that helps.

And you might be able to tolerate cashews and macadamia nuts, they're from a different food family than nuts.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I'n nut, soy,tomato, gluten-free oats and gltuen free of course. I eat very little milk products. I eat veggies and fruit a lot that I can handle. I've found two natural lines of dressings I use, if you're interested I'll let you know, without the bottle in front of me, I'd misspell.

I eat humus spread on rice cakes. Carrot sticks dipped in a few things. Pickles...Sometimes a chip I can have and popcorn. Some all natural fruit sticks and gummies. I found a cracker by cruchmaster that is nut free. I also think of half a sandwich if you can tolerate what the bread is made of. Soup is also another snack idea. I no longer think of a snack as the "typical" snack food. I've seen alot of dairy free, nut free recipes on Pinterst lately.

Good luck to you!

user853 Apprentice

gluten-free Vegetarian No-Processed Soy Low-Dairy Low-Egg here.. So, I feel you on being hungry and not knowing what to make! (omg! no almonds! my life would be so OVER!)

Check out this cookbook (allergen and gluten free). http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Welcoming-Kitchen-Delicious-Allergen-Gluten-Free/dp/1402771851 I borrowed it from the library and found some good recipes in it.

For snacks.. prunes (love them), popcorn, veggies and hummus, kale chips (yum!), dried fruits, soynut butter instead of peanut butter.

Breakfast... quinoa quinoa quinoa!

Archived