This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have A Deep Yellow Liquid From The Blisters?

bubbleye

bubbleye Newbie

I'm really needing help. I've have bizarre skin eruptions which I'm now thinking might be dermititis herpetiformis now that I know, via elimination diet, that I have a serious problem with gluten. I get hive like bumps on my face and some of them ooze deep yellow/orange liquid and then crust over. I also get swollen eye with thick white goop that comes out of it if I eat even a small amount of gluten. Does any one else get this? I don't know how I can get official blood test because I can't eat even a little bit of gluten without my eye swelling up and gooping very painfully. I can't afford going to tons of doctors to only have false negatives, but wondering if any of you have advice for me? I'm really suffering. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

Many of us have had DH is strange places. It doesn't surprise me that you suspect DH (or at least gluten) is response for you eye condition.

I'd go down the simple road. Stay off gluten. If someone wants to know (including future medical staffers) tell them you have DH which is a skin related condition associated with celiac disease / gluten intolerance.

I've had a many and varied set of conditions cleared since going gluten free so if it works for you.. run with it.

If you don't have active lesions of the traditional DH type then you are not going to get diagnosed. Even documented DH type is very often diagnosed negative.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm so sorry, that sounds absolutely miserable.

If you can't get to a qualified dermatologist for testing, then yes, the best thing to do is to stop gluten now. You probably could still be accurately tested within two weeks of gluten-free.

Read through the DH forum. Pay attention to the posts about salicylates and iodine since those can aggrivate DH. Keep the lesions moisturized to promote healing, and try ice packs for the itch/pain.

IrishHeart Veteran

The sores I had on my scalp, face and lip would ooze yucky stuff--yes, yellow would describe it--more like tan? Hate to be graphic, but it is what it is. I am fortunate that they have disappeared since going gluten-free and only reappear if CCed.

Swollen eyelids with a discharge is blepharitis. I had it, too when I was very sick and as yet, UN-Dxed and it would erupt in cycles. It can be chronic, but manageable.

You may wish to see an opthamolgist if it does not resolve.

I was glutened accidentally while traveling recently, and my eyelids puffed right back up. Get some eyelid washing wipes at the drug store. They help reduce the inflammation and clean out the eyelashes where the debris forms. It goes away in a week or so.

FWIW, blepharitis is listed as being associated with gluten intolerance (Cleo Libonati's book, Recognizing Celiac Disease)

squirmingitch Veteran

I used to wear contact lenses & had since I was 14. ?8? yrs. ago I had to give them up. A lot of white mucous stuff in my eyes, dry eyes, itchy eyes. Even after giving them up I had problems. Dx? Blepharitis. Haven't had any since going gluten-free. Eye Dr. told me to use Johnson's baby shampoo & a soft cloth & scrub the lower & upper lids everyday until it clears. Then do it every couple days to a week to keep it gone.

Once my blisters pop, my places ooze a clear amber liquid. Even when I don't get blisters but get the "bite like places" they will ooze the liquid.

Oh yeah, imagine my surprise when I found blepharitis is associated with celiac.ohmy.gif

I sincerely hope to be able to go back to contact lenses someday.smile.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

I used to wear contact lenses & had since I was 14. ?8? yrs. ago I had to give them up. A lot of white mucous stuff in my eyes, dry eyes, itchy eyes. Even after giving them up I had problems. Dx? Blepharitis. Haven't had any since going gluten-free. Eye Dr. told me to use Johnson's baby shampoo & a soft cloth & scrub the lower & upper lids everyday until it clears. Then do it every couple days to a week to keep it gone.

Once my blisters pop, my places ooze a clear amber liquid.

AMBER! :lol: that's the color I was going for--thanks, squirmy.

yup, baby shampoo and water does the trick too!

My eyes were dry and itchy and I thought maybe I had Sjogren's.

We are peas in a pod.

squirmingitch Veteran

Sisters, sisters

There were never such devoted sisters

Rosemary Clooney & I forget who

name the moviebiggrin.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Sisters, sisters

There were never such devoted sisters

Rosemary Clooney & I forget who

name the moviebiggrin.gif

Vera Ellen

White Christmas

are you kidding me?

easy peasy :lol:

I told you I was a dancer!

and a trivial pursuit champ

just don't ask me what happened in 2008-2010

gluten head hell had me in la la land

squirmingitch Veteran

Vera Ellen

White Christmas

are you kidding me?

easy peasy :lol:

I told you I was a dancer!

and a trivial pursuit champ

just don't ask me what happened in 2008-2010

gluten head hell had me in la la land

OMG! NO, I didn't know you were a dancer. 2 guesses my dear.

I taught ballet.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Mine are often amber also. Okay .. now going graphic some more: all have a little white dot bit that when it is out the itching/pain stops. That bit is evil.

bubbleye Newbie

Thanks so much all of you. Amber is exactly the color I mean. I have been gluten free for about a year now and unless I eat almost nothing but vegetables and chicken, I get a breakout. I think I haven't been aware of all of the crazy non-traditional gluten triggers that now I'm becoming aware of, thanks to this site. I have two more questions: do you think this could be exacerbated by different times in my cycle? I've also found I have very low progesterone and seem to be more sensitive to foods if I'm in the second part of my cycle (no, what i have isn't regular hormonal acne....), also, could i have a reaction from handling bread when I make it for my son? Thanks to you all!

squirmingitch Veteran

Back to the subject of blepharitis --- you may also get itsy bitsy teeny tiny water blisters on the rim of the upper or lower lids. They are darn near impossible to see but feel like a splinter every time you blink. Break them if you can find them & you won't feel like you have splinters but make sure to be extremely hygienic about it & wash your lids afterward.

There are super sensitives who get reactions from handling gluten stuff. Before you go down that road ask yourself if you touch your face or anything before you wash your hands. Prep all daughters stuff on paper towels not on the bare counter. And still scrub the counter after as well as your hands. Do you have a new separate, dedicated gluten-free toaster? You NEED to do that. NO gluten allowed in that toaster.

You may need to consider your iodine intake &/or salicylates. Both can affect dh. There are quite a few threads concerning this subject.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I tried to delude myself that a gluten free house wasn't necessary for my DH. And it was a complete delusion. You really need to start considering when/how you could start adapting your kitchen, family diet, lunch boxes etc. It took me a long time to get over the delusion and about 2-3 months of re-adapting our house and diet etc but it is paying off.

IrishHeart Veteran

I tried to delude myself that a gluten free house wasn't necessary for my DH. And it was a complete delusion. You really need to start considering when/how you could start adapting your kitchen, family diet, lunch boxes etc. It took me a long time to get over the delusion and about 2-3 months of re-adapting our house and diet etc but it is paying off.

I know that many Celiacs do just fine in a house shared with GEs

(gluten eaters),

and I know from everything I have researched that the majority of Celiacs are not affected by handling wheat bread or flours if they wash their hands afterwards,

BUT I suspect that inadvertent CC does keep many people from truly healing.

I am only saying this from reading thousands of posts and whenever someone says they still have symptoms, often it is because they are preparing foods for their GE families, working around flours at their jobs, or living in a shared environment with GE roommates, like a dorm or apartment.

I am fortunate that hubs insisted he go gluten-free with me after DX. He is a chemist and environmental scientist and he felt CC was too big a risk as he watched me prepare his food, wash, then prepare mine. Separate jams, PB, mayos? separate toasters? utensils? pans? for what? that's insane and costly!

Now, I would not allow any gluten in my home when I have company staying. No one cares. They eat like royalty here! :lol:

I do not have children, so I imagine that makes it tricky, but honestly, there is no real nutritional need for gluten grains in the diet and if everyone just ate the same foods, it would make life so much easier for the celiac who is also the cook in the house.

Someone will argue loudly with me now, I am sure. So be it. :lol:

Just my two cents! But if your health suffers and you run the household, how is this any good?

Archived